test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please balance combat enchantments with combined rating

walker#8832 walker Member Posts: 116 Arc User
Hi devs,

I have been very disappointed with the transition from weapon / armor enchantments to combat enchantments.

First, we have lost a lot of character effectiveness and customization going from two weapon / armor enchantments to just a single combat enchantment. And the options for that combat enchantment (so far) are few and lack key features such as stat percentages (to name just one important example).

There's a further problem making things even worse though, and that's the focus of this post: a huge increase in enchantment item level without providing any combined stat rating to balance it!

This wasn't an issue in the transition week, because the temporary combat enchantment we were given didn't have this problem. However all permanent combat enchantments do. Right now equipping a max level combat enchantment imposes an effective loss of 5% to every stat, all fifteen of them. With that high a penalty I've found the best option for my paladin is, sadly, to run with no combat enchantment equipped at all. So now I've lost not just one armor / weapon enchantment in this transition, I've lost both of them!

The old max level armor / weapon enchantments were item level 800. A new combat enchantment of the same strength is item level 4000. Please add (at least) 3200 combined stat rating to help balance this item level increase, and (at least) 4000 combined rating for the item level 5000 combat enchantments, and so forth.

Adding a higher combined stat rating than that, for example combined rating = item level, would be very welcome given everything we have lost in recent changes.

Please also consider adding in a second combat enchantment slot, or something similar, at some point in the future. That extra weapon / armor enchantment is very much missed.

Thank you,
Walker

Comments

• Options
    rheylinsark#1888 rheylinsark Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    During a Twitch livestream not too long ago, one of the devs stated that they had wanted to set the combat enchantment item level at 10,000 but concluded that the player base would probably freak out, so 5,000 was determined to be more palatable.
  • Options
    The item level really isn't the problem. If they are trying to improve how item levels represent the strength of the gear, good on them I say.

It's the stat balancing that's severely out of whack. Did they perhaps just completely forget to put an appropriate combined stat rating on the combat enchantments? I'd like to give benefit of the doubt and say maybe - stuff happens, things get missed.
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    It was not forgotten, they stated it was the plan.
  • Options
    rheylinsark#1888 rheylinsark Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    According to the livestream, the absence of a combined rating on the combat enchantment was indeed intentional.

Here is a link to the applicable statement in the aforementioned livestream. https://youtu.be/ihQcJRteURc?t=1540
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,224 Arc User
    The game plan is like:
    1. They give you something "good" for "reasons" (in their opinion) but they need to balance it out a little bit (in their opinion). In short, they give you a problem to solve yourself so that you will spend time, resource, effort, money, ....
    2. When you almost solve it, they make the change again.
    3. go to (1).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    > @rheylinsark#1888 said:
    > According to the livestream, the absence of a combined rating on the combat enchantment was indeed intentional.
    >

Ok so they did it on purpose. (And thanks for that link Rheylinsark, much appreciated.) Sometimes you try something and after some testing problems show up.

I've been testing. There are big problems. As mentioned the stat nerf is so high I'm finding it best to avoid running a combat enchantment at all. That is a very bad situation for the game. We should get to be excited to strengthen our characters with these cool enchantments, and to have fun trying different ones out - we shouldn't have to be worried about trashing our toon effectiveness by using one at all.