test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Really Disappointed In Cryptic's Decision To Paywall The New Trial

Just a little vent here, I was looking forward to this new trial, only to find out that it is only available to those willing to shell out $50. To some, that may not be much, but living in Africa, I can get a lot more value out of that. It should have honestly unlocked for everyone at the same time, with extra goodies for those "buying in" such as key rerolls etc.

This has left me with a really distasteful feeling and I sincerely hope Cryptic will re-think this going forward. This is how you divide a community.

P.S: You can still fix this Cryptic, by unlocking it for everyone.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    You can't wait until you get 750 Northern War commendation that you should be able to get next week? The "paywall" only stands for 6 days.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    If they were going to do it this way, they should have told the community. Then people could have bought 1 pack and used the companion, while they grinded the 300 per week, and the extra 100 from 1 pack. The companion would have provided the extra 50 currency, if grinded as active during the time when players got their 600 currency from 2 weekly caps, and players would have been able to hit 750 off 1 pack. Since the communication was poor again, now players get to decide is it worth 2 packs. Everyone entitled to their opinion on what is long delay, or one that "is only this long", but in the end, if they had said last week it was going to be this way, they would have probably got more sales of 1 pack from the zen store per player, than the 2 packs needed to hit 750, if you've already capped the weekly's from the campaign. Yes, the "paywall" is only 6 days. Let's see the differences in prices on AH, if there is any that are sellable, between today and next week, when players that didn't buy the zen pack can access. Usually, there is a huge drop off in values in this game, and it can take 1-2 days for the swing. If you want to sell at the most lucrative prices, then you have to buy the packs. Sugarcoating it by saying it's only "this long", doesn't make what they did right.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,215 Arc User
    Well, that is what they have been doing all along. Not the first time and not the last time. If what you describe is true, the pay companion actually works this time. That would be a difference this time. So, some pay extra up front to get early access so that they "may" get reward earlier so that they "may" sell them in a better price. Is that really a problem?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***

Well, that is what they have been doing all along. Not the first time and not the last time. If what you describe is true, the pay companion actually works this time. That would be a difference this time. So, some pay extra up front to get early access so that they "may" get reward earlier so that they "may" sell them in a better price. Is that really a problem?

Yeah it's a problem. But with your kool aid responses, I'm going to say you really don't read peoples comments on the forum, and would rather try and look sarcastic, than try and give good input.
  • deadmano#4272 deadmano Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    I absolutely don't mind paid content, I don't mind Cryptic milking however which way they can, hell I got the $100 mount pack. What I have an issue with is the separation of the player-base, even if just for a week. It's a matter of principle. They could have had it unlock for everyone at the same time, and give those who paid extra goodies/re-roll keys for the chest etc.
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment as this is a minor issue to me. But it all comes back to the broken ZAX. If people could convert ADs in any reasonable time, we wouldn't need to have this conversation. But Cryptic frequently running this kind of stuff through the ZEN market is at least not a great way to avoid "P2W" accusations and all of their ugly siblings.
  • deadmano#4272 deadmano Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2022

I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment as this is a minor issue to me. But it all comes back to the broken ZAX. If people could convert ADs in any reasonable time, we wouldn't need to have this conversation. But Cryptic frequently running this kind of stuff through the ZEN market is at least not a great way to avoid "P2W" accusations and all of their ugly siblings.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it P2W, and while I understand you're not calling it that I just want to be perfectly clear that I don't think this move or the game is pay to win. The issue however is simply with the locking of content (even if just temporarily) behind a paywall. The issue comes due to the lack of clear communication with regards to the trial status and rumours spreading that it may be available to run by all at launch.

Had I had known it'd be yet another week of waiting well in advance pre to all the hype and friends wanting to group up, I doubt it'd be as big of an issue. But as it stands, having a lack of content at the endgame, and then finally getting something only for it to be yet another week "delayed" was the issue for me.

I would like to see this practice eliminated and if the intention is to monetise the new launch then rather come up with creative ways to do so that doesn't limit/exclude others from partaking in the "festivities" from day 1.
  • mez#1836 mez Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I was personally so hyped to check the new trial to just see it's unlocked only for people who get the pack! It would be fine if it was some exclusive items in that pack, but really not something essential to unlock a trial. I undresntad that the difference is only a week but it just kills the excitement.

They could do AD sinks that work. Put coal ward on bazaar every few weeks. Instead, they have devalued everything in game, except coalescent motes. Why would a player that buys zen, flip the zen into AD, to buy coal motes at close to 2 mil AD, when they they can buy them at 800-1000 zen(600k-750k AD if flipped on ZAX). Add in the effect of people getting 100s of knox boxes through bug, and getting to keep the boxes, it has devalued mounts/comps/etc. The economy is totally broken, and they've made it so the only thing holding value, is cheaper and available on the zen store, and the ZAX barely moves.