test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Steal Time has just been murdered just like Shield

kir4me8604#8436 kir4me8604 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
Let's recap Steal Time.....

When I started playing at the PS4 launch of Neverwinter, Steal Time was one of many amazing powers for the Wizard. Whenever this power was paired with Storm Spell and the Lightning Enchantment (before their nerfs), you would eat groups alive with those lightning procs while using Steal Time. It also provided a speed buff to self and all nearby allies. This speed buff stacked with other speed buff for a huge boost in movement speed. Great Right!!! No, players complained that speed buffs were causing players to fall off in trials; causing unintentional and sometimes intentional deaths. So, it was nerfed. No more speed buff. Going forward, those AOE "control" wizards that adjusted to the dethroned Steal Time still utilized it's potential in an AOE build. Using conduit of ice and ice terrain, Steal Time was still a great power to slow enemies down so that you could build chill stacks with other powers. AOE Renegade Control Wizards were still useful. M16 comes along and separates Steal Time from majority of the AOE spells that the Thaumaturge path had. Those faithful AOE Wizards, adapted and many saw the potential Steal Time had as an AOE spell for the Arcanist paragon path. However, today's update has just killed my AOE Arcanist build. Today's update just killed one of my favorite Wizard spells ever in Neverwinter. I could handle Storm Spell nerf, Frost Wave nerf, Shield Nerf, our horrible damage compared to other DPS, our still present bugs, separation of spells that made no sense in M16, but today's update to Steal Time. I am sorry. This is not good at all.

The animation is so fast the stun effects are trying to catch up with the animation. The casting bugs out and the damage is very inconsistent. Procs have no time to proc. Cooldown is still too long. Enemies are moving while being stun. This power does not feel good anymore. Sorry.

BEFORE TODAY'S UPDATE
Steal time from enemies around you, then shatter the collected time to stun them.
Magnitude: 260
Added Effect: Slow - stacks up to 4 times
Duration: 2s

Additional Action: Stuns based on how much time was stolen
Duration: 0.75 - 1.5s

Arcane Mastery increases the Stun and Slow by 0.2 seconds for each Arcane Mastery stack you have.

CURRENTLY LIVE
Steal time from enemies around you, then shatter the collected time to stun them.
Magnitude: 260
Added Effect: Slow (NO STACKS???)
Duration: 4s

Additional Action: Stun
Duration: 1s

Arcane Mastery increases the Stun and Slow by 0.2 seconds for each Arcane Mastery stack you have.

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    careful what we wish for from the last birthing round of Dev Cw "focused" feedback i guess " lol

after all the dev did say to name only "one power" that would you like us to "hampster" even more .. : D
    he was quite adamant about that ....
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    This needs to be filed under "you can't make this stuff up". Don't main a wizard, but my oh my. To ignore the class for so many years, then come up with that feedback thread only to further NERF AoE (albeit unintentionally) is exactly why folks question the expertise around here sometimes.

I can only hope that there will be a swift fix to Steal Time. Just raise the magnitude to 750 to come up for the missing Storm Stell procs (I'm sure someone can come up with a mathematically more robust number). Should be the #1 priority for next week.
  • erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Steal Time now works pretty much like Arcane Tempest on Mastery, just with diffrent animation and larger radius. Removing visuals here did not help, now I can't even see if mobs were affected or not most of the time. On the positive side, it seems the bug with cooldown is gone... at least for now it did not happen to me.
  • kir4me8604#8436 kir4me8604 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    @tgwolf

Arcanist shouldn't have AoEs to begin with nor should it be getting any attention at all while Thaumaturge still needs work.
    (NOT TRUE)

- Must you be reminded that originally Control Wizards had two paragon paths: Spellstorm and Master of Flame. In both paragons, there were 3 sub paths: Oppressor, Thaumaturge, and Renegade. Yea, hard to remember? I'll continue.. single target and aoe powers existed in both paths.

- Now after M16 (this is where you come in), the Wizard's powers were scattered all over the place. I know you were jumping with excitement. However, there are plenty of posts where players were confused on how to use the Wizard when certain feats, class features, and powers that synergized were not in a comprehensible place. It was such a hot mess that the community was asked about suggestive changes. You were probably in the leveling stage of the game at that time. Moving on.

- The whole Arcanist (single target) Thaumaturge (aoe) is such a useless talking point for those wizard users that figured out how to use Thaumaturge and Arcanist for both single target and aoe.

Be grateful for the undeserved time they waste on anything Arcanist. You don't deserve sympathy for your whining.
    (I do not recall asking for sympathy, please read the title again.)

Nothing but a bunch of ungrateful children in this community.
    (Seems that way, ea! So, let me speak for myself since you find my post to indicate that I am ungrateful.)

- I appreciate many changes Cryptic's devs have implemented into the game: the refinement system, the account wide mount and companion change, the reduction of Zen prices, the rework of lockboxes with the introduction of mythic mounts & companions, the UI changes, the slow process of bringing back buffs into the game, and (i know everyone might not agree and that is ok) the bard class (which I enjoy deeply).

- Lol, so please do not be confused about my stance of being grateful with my passionate response to a change to my character's class which I have seen so many changes since summer of 2016.

• erevel09erevel09 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    And why is that? Why arcanists should not have AoEs? I'd like to have both paragons as viable options to play, both with AoEs and ST spells. They should be diffrent, yes, but both viable.

Right now we gained "adjustments". That is nice, we finally got something done. But it could be done better. For both paragons.

Steal time is one, Arcane Conduit is two - this spell needs some changes; some minor additions to at-wills many do not use anyway, because RoF is still better most of the time when it comes to proc weapon enchantments which is extra damage. Striking Advantage is finally cleared in tooltip and got small buff, which is nice.

Same goes for Thaumaturges. Smolder buff is nice, sure. Fireball changes... not sure if I like them, but faster cast time and reduced cooldowns are nice to have always. Feats fixes and some CC buffs for chill stacks are all nice and good.

That said, all of this could be done better. I agree thaumaturges needs more adjustments than arcanists, but there are bugs that need to be fixed and changes that need to be done on both paragons. Which is why these posts happen, because people are just not happy with changes made.

I, for one, would simply like to see area which is affected by Steal Time again. At least for starters.
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

Arcanist shouldn't have AoEs to begin with nor should it be getting any attention at all while Thaumaturge still needs work.

Be grateful for the undeserved time they waste on anything Arcanist. You don't deserve sympathy for your whining.

Talking about "childish behavior" and coming up with this type of reasoning is hilarious. I'll salute you. This is an excellent parody post.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

Be grateful for the undeserved time they waste on anything Arcanist.

Personally, I have the exact opposite point of view.
    Arcanist is the path that is closer to be competitive with other classes.
    With only limited time for the dev to work on Wizard every minute they lost on thaumaturge path that need a complete rework, is the time that if it was invested in the Arcanist path the result would be probably better.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • bifflincultebifflinculte Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Faster cast means faster animation. Now Steal time looks like arcane sneeze.

Most of arcanist changes aren't bad, but we're not arrived yet. Lightning bolt is still bugged and needs aiming.
    Magic missile and arcane bolt need higher magnitudes to compete ray of frost.
    I maintain than arcane empowerment daily is too powerful, while the magnitude of all encounters is too low, making the st dps too heterogeneous.
    Maelstrom of chaos (it's the daily you never use) is still... useless.

Concerning the thaumaturge, the faster fireball (cd+cast) makes the gameplay much more dynamic, especially for boss fights. I doubt about the need of reducing the aoe magnitude, other classes have aoe attacks with much higher magnitudes.
    Even with a 100% boost, smolder is still very weak. 1% or 2% of total damage, it's the same.
    Chilling advantage and Directed flames are still awful feats, but now they work together, if you want feats that reduce your dps.
    Fanning the flame is still the worst encounter available. 100 magnitude is ridiculous.

Fanning the flame and Lightning bolt used to be great and balanced spells before mod 16, there was no reason to modify both, making them unusuable.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User

Magic missile and arcane bolt need higher magnitudes to compete ray of frost.

I agree with this.

I maintain than arcane empowerment daily is too powerful, while the magnitude of all encounters is too low, making the st dps too heterogeneous.
    Maelstrom of chaos (it's the daily you never use) is still... useless.

I Agree that Arcane Empowerment is too powerful vs other dailies for Boss fight and force Wizard to only one playstyle => spam your encounters after this daily.
    But, I want a buff to other dailies not a Nerf to Arcane Empowerment.
    The magnitude of Ice Knife (1800) could be increased to 2200 like the TR Shocking execution, to compete with Arcane Empowerment.
    Maelstrom of chaos should be changed to Chain lightning to have a real strong AOE Lightning Daily .

“He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • gor1llaf1stgor1llaf1st Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    tgwolf said:

yea you sound like a whiny sniveling child who is used to running to mommy and telling on others when you dont get your way... that is how you come across there tgchihuahua.... brainy smurf, that is who comes to mind