test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, you really need to boost Augment companions

rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
I really didn't know what people were talking about when they said augments were rubbish now because I didn't look into it, and the last thing I said on this forum on the topic was I didn't care much except I like my cute rat running around with me and that was all that mattered to me. I'm a person largely of habit, I have used an augment style for years because I like them, they are near me and keep me company, they do not start battles I don't intend to start by aggroing mobs on their own which happened to me too many times in the past with actives, and at the time I started using them they really were a good way to boost your raw stats (which is why they're called 'augments') so I've just used one ever since. I've never swapped it out to compare with other companions and have only used the other companions I continually collect for combat bonuses. But now I know better.

Yesterday I saw someone in a LoMM run with an active companion I liked the look of which I also had anyway and was only using the bonus for. My equipped augment companion is mythic and so is this other one which I upgraded for the full bonus, so I swapped it over to summoned and what did I find...

I found that both have exactly the same stat boosts on everything, identical (wtf), with the exception of three things the augment gives. Less than two thousand on two stats (whoop-de-doo) and 6 thousand-odd HP which is not even one hit in high-end content and I can easily do without. I went and hit a dummy once and watched the active damage and saw it was doing up to 19,000 at some points and realized that even though as a healer I am not dps focused and my focus as a full heal spec is only on supporting the team in other ways, I can still support the team by having this companion help polish-off mobs faster for everyone. So even for me who loves augments and has always used them there is absolutely no point in me using mine now. The only thing it is good for anymore is for the final boss in LoMM where if you hit the boss before the scorps are dead it empowers the scorps and an active will be hitting the boss and potentially making the battle harder for everyone, so I can swap it out for the augment who does not attack anything.

Please boost augments because I now see what people are saying, there is virtually no point to them anymore as the benefits they give compared to an active are not really worth anything.
Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.

Comments

• vastano#2343 vastano Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    this same thing has been said many many times since they started talking about the companion pass and doing away with bondings that ended up being a complete rewrite of the combat system that still is a work in progress
    unfortunatly i cannot see augment being changed yet again (they changed them i think 3 times on preview while trying to make combat system work)
    all cryptic seem to like doing is nerfing not upgrading
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I really didn't know what people were talking about when they said augments were rubbish now because I didn't look into it, and the last thing I said on this forum on the topic was I didn't care much except I like my cute rat running around with me and that was all that mattered to me. I'm a person largely of habit, I have used an augment style for years because I like them, they are near me and keep me company, they do not start battles I don't intend to start by aggroing mobs on their own which happened to me too many times in the past with actives, and at the time I started using them they really were a good way to boost your raw stats (which is why they're called 'augments') so I've just used one ever since. I've never swapped it out to compare with other companions and have only used the other companions I continually collect for combat bonuses. But now I know better.

Yesterday I saw someone in a LoMM run with an active companion I liked the look of which I also had anyway and was only using the bonus for. My equipped augment companion is mythic and so is this other one which I upgraded for the full bonus, so I swapped it over to summoned and what did I find...

I found that both have exactly the same stat boosts on everything, identical (wtf), with the exception of three things the augment gives. Less than two thousand on two stats (whoop-de-doo) and 6 thousand-odd HP which is not even one hit in high-end content and I can easily do without. I went and hit a dummy once and watched the active damage and saw it was doing up to 19,000 at some points and realized that even though as a healer I am not dps focused and my focus as a full heal spec is only on supporting the team in other ways, I can still support the team by having this companion help polish-off mobs faster for everyone. So even for me who loves augments and has always used them there is absolutely no point in me using mine now. The only thing it is good for anymore is for the final boss in LoMM where if you hit the boss before the scorps are dead it empowers the scorps and an active will be hitting the boss and potentially making the battle harder for everyone, so I can swap it out for the augment who does not attack anything.

Please boost augments because I now see what people are saying, there is virtually no point to them anymore as the benefits they give compared to an active are not really worth anything.

Agree 100% I used augments for exactly the same reason.

Now I have to use an active companion.
  • rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    Well the whole point of having an augment is that it has to be worth it and the damage you are losing from an active companion has to be compensated by something else to make it a viable choice. It has to be a worthwhile tradeoff which makes sense to do but as it is currently as I see it you are worse-off and not even breaking even. Imo augments should all add either some amount of forte on top of what they already give or add something to all the stats across the board, say 500 or 1,000. When you look at your stats when you swap them back and forth (active and augment) you could be forgiven for thinking you haven't changed anything at all. The tooltip is misleading also, it just says it adds to three things (not giving an actual figure) making it sound attractive, but when you check those three things they hardly move up. It's just ridiculous.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    In the history of Neverwinter, it has been always either or. It was companion. Then, augment. Everyone needed to have the stone. Everyone had the long blue trail from their necks. Then, the era of buff. Everyone needed to have the buff active companion, the era of con artist, etc. Then, everyone needed to have tigers. Then, the buff era ended. Everyone needed to have augment again. Now, back to active companion. I don't remember there is a time that could keep both to be 'useful' except may be class dependent build. If the augment is back, it will be the end of active companion again.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    Well that to me is more about a certain type of player who always chases 'the best' thing at the time (atm Xuna etc), you also see it with the enchant of the day which is seen as BiS and keeps changing over time like how vorpal and negation were king for a long time, loads of people only want the one thing which they see as the pinnacle for the most output to the nth degree and they all obtain it like sheep, but still, choosing something else has always still been viable. If you take out the chasers who only want what everyone else thinks is best there are still many players who choose other things because they see value in other options as well even if it's not considered BiS. Augments don't have any value at all now unless like I said before you're in a battle where you still want your same stats and IL but don't want to attack a target uncontrollably. So maybe they should be re-named from augment to silent or something. The augmentation is really no longer happening and this type of companion is no longer doing what it was designed to.
    edited May 2021
    Maybe augments should now focus on defensive stats by all of them adding HP and defense and deflect, awareness and so on and be a viable choice for tanks and defensive builds or to help with a players defense generally when they are lacking in that area, and actives could be the viable choice for extra damage output. That might be a nice setup for the two types.
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    They are aware of the situation. And since they want to skim the cream over and over again, they will continue to make BiS eq.powers (like +7.5% out.healing) and sell them as augment (which in underperforming in the current meta; they know you will buy it anyway).
    Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    For me, augment these days are for bolster (to retain certain investment) and whatever power instead of being summoned. i.e. your previous 'premium' companions are not totally going to the drain.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    Augment companions purpose remain same as where from very start.. To provide extra stat boost, nothing more nothing less.

Non augment companions purpose where not give stat increase, but provide help in other way.
    That is provide assistance via extra dmg, or healing or tanking or supporting> CC/Heal/Debuff.

But now here is problem, game utilize Downscaling system, which more less discourage players increase their stats, cuz thoose stats gets adjusted anyways..
    Even if augment companions would provide like 200% of their stats, no one would use them anyways.. Downscaling adjust players stats anyways, while dps companions avoid downscaling. And due that companions dealt dmg is more beneficial.

Other thing there is companion and mount boisters, which increase players stats.

So what the point to be limited with augment which provide few stat increase?

As long game will keep using donwscaling in dungeons, instead UpScaling, neither augment, neither need to max out stats is pointless.

For now Enought get Dps companion, x6 indomitable runes + mirage set and you can do roughly 80% of game content without any problem. You don't even need upgrade your enchantments, rank 10 is enough..

So problem is that there is no need to get better stats, and due that augment companions are not needed.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================