test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Old Sharandar Campaign Question

taikaias#9396 taikaias Member Posts: 70 Arc User
What happens to the original Sharandar campaign? Will new players or new characters be able to go through the original campaign to get the boons from it? I noticed that the original Sharandar campaign was gone from the Campaign section of the Journal.

Comments

• arieswytch#9832 arieswytch Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    I copied over a couple of toons that either hadn't started it yet, or hadn't finished it and there was no option to do it. It's also removed from Sybella's Legacy quests and the Stronghold Support quest was gone, too. Toons that had already finished it (or had gotten some, but not all of the boons) still had the boons, but there seems to be no way for newer toons to catch up and get those 5 boons.
  • xenocide#6577 xenocide Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    I'm guessing this is a bug? Unless there is another way to level strongholds?
  • liadan1984#8734 liadan1984 Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    The old Sharandar currency (Fey Trinkets) are still required for guild building upgrades.

But, as we're unable to access the old Sharandar area and quests, getting this currency is going to be near impossible.
    Lia
    Co-Guild Leader
    Ghost Templars L20
    Alliance: Tyrs Paladium
    Main: Cleric (Heals|DPS)
    Alt: Warlock
  • hannibalsmith#0854 hannibalsmith Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    They could give Illyasha Guidingstar a Legacy Store where the old Sharandar currency could be traded for Illyanbruen Artisan Vouchers (worth 1000 Fey Trinkets). It would replace the old "Assist Artisans" campaign task.

The vouchers should be unbound or account-bound. I have 4 characters in a Level 20 guild (that doesn't need Trinkets) and others in a Level 4 guild that needs them. Please let the vouchers be shared!

Maybe she could have the old Sharandar Store as well so players who don't care about vouchers could spend currency on items for transmute.

I'm open to other methods for exchanging old Sharandar currency, please don't simply let it become useless!
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    I noticed on live that starting next week sharandar will be 2x until launch so my guess they are doing that so people can finish it if they haven't already. I suppose its possible it comes back after we've restored the "bridge"
  • taikaias#9396 taikaias Member Posts: 70 Arc User

If they are indeed eliminating the old campaign and zone content they need to be straightforward about it. Keeping players guessing is not "building hype."

Yeah. I totally agree. It's not clear right now what's happening to the old content or boons from the old content. I'd love to know, so I know what to tell new players that I encounter and I know what to do for my alts that haven't finished the old Sharandar yet.
  • codetellercodeteller Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    they should just leave the old sharandar campaign in place and let it be
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    > @codeteller said:
    > they should just leave the old sharandar campaign in place and let it be

From a story perspective, it helps new players have a sense of continuity. From a guild perspective, it is paramount to progression. However, removing content is something Cryptic has done before, and it's left a sour taste in veteran players' mindset for years. Repeating mistakes from the past show that nothing was learned from them.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5

> @codeteller said:

> they should just leave the old sharandar campaign in place and let it be

From a story perspective, it helps new players have a sense of continuity. From a guild perspective, it is paramount to progression. However, removing content is something Cryptic has done before, and it's left a sour taste in veteran players' mindset for years. Repeating mistakes from the past show that nothing was learned from them.

But, have they removed content that provided boons? So, new players after this change will have no way to get these boons and will perpetually be behind those that have played longer? Sharandar provides 5 boons. I know in the grand scheme of things, that's not huge, but it's not chump change either. Will they make the currency from the New Sharandar usable for Fey Trinkets for the Guild?
  • ysbethedinnysbethedinn Member Posts: 17 Arc User

This will pose a problem for guild strongholds that are not yet level 20. Sharandar capaign currency is needed for guild boons. I sincerely hope Developers address this (oversight?) soon.

What happens to the original Sharandar campaign? Will new players or new characters be able to go through the original campaign to get the boons from it? I noticed that the original Sharandar campaign was gone from the Campaign section of the Journal.

• empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    Also losing an AD weekly
  • codetellercodeteller Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    removing old sharandar creates more problems and it doesn't really solve anything.

continuity doesn't even really mean much , for example, if you do cloaked conspiracy after storm king's thunder , [spoiler] makos being presumed dead in cloaked and dying in skt{spoiler] but nothing prevents you from doing those events out of order, so , continuity be damned
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Yes the loss of an AD weekly is a biggie, at least for solo players that rely on them to earn their AD. And the loss of the zone will make it much harder for newer guilds to level up their strongholds.
  • tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    Old "New Sharandar" disappears and we get a new "New Sharandar" :

- boons : unsure what will happen for the boons from the old campaign. What is sure is that it doesn't seem possible, in my opinion, to have a situation where future new players can't get as much boons as old players have. There are 2 solutions :
    remove the old boons from old player total boons at the start of the new module (with a force respec), but it's never the best to take back something from your old player base...
    give the boons to the new players from another mean

- a whole adventure zone less to play in (even if mod20 is a sort of a revamp of it, the feeling between both are different).
    In my opinion it would have been a much smarter move to tweak it and keep it.
    For exemple, and also to solve the "boon difference" (i can't remember if it's 4 or 5 in Sharandar), make it a prerequisite to enter the new "new Sharandar" zone : greatly shorten the length or make it like EE/UM campaign, something you can do from the start to the end without any timegate.
    1st day to do the intro quests (current "yellow" quests) + once all the other quests in the 1st portal zone (1 boon after it's done), 2nd day to clean once all the quests of the 2nd portal zone (1 boon after it's done), 3rd day to clean once all the quests of the 3rd portal (1 boon after it's done), Celadaine Tower (1 boon after it's done), do Malabog Castle once => unlock intro quest for New New Sharandar (though both aren't really consecutive in the storyline... but given how much the game cares storyline continuity it wouldn't be a problem)

- I want to say I definitely have a story problem with old "New Sharandar" being gone.
    What happen to Valindra's storyline ? (I still consider her as the main antagonist, though i'm unsure why...) She is kind of involved in old "New Sharandar".
    If you followed the story, Valindra was sent in the Neverwinter Woods (where Sharandar is kind of located) by Szass Tam with 2 goals : primary was trying to restore the Dread Ring, secondary was preparing an eventual take over of Neverwinter by Thay (a third goal which we don't hear about in the game was to interfere if possible with the shadovar operations in the area).
    The blue dragon Fulminorax was then also sent there by Szass Tam to help Valindra.
    The game's story starts by Valindra attempting the take over Neverwinter first, but the city managed to hold and pushed her back. We saw Valindra in Neverdeath where she stole the dracolich ritual as part of her primary goal : restore the Dread Ring.
    After the siege, when we arrived in New Sharandar, Malabog, who wanted to enslave the elves, had brought Fulminorax under is control thanks to the Orb of Dragonkind. We ended up defeating Malabog and killing Fulminorax in Malabog's Castle while Valindra was watching/fighting from afar before bailing out. She had in fact concluded an alliance with Malabog... and was the one who sent Fulminorax in the feywild.
    We then went to counter Thay and Valindra's plans in the Dread Ring.
    As we completed a quest about the bones of Lorragauth to halt Valindra in using the dracolich ritual on him, and as I suppose Lorragauth to be so huge that it wouldn't be fit as a "first try", Valindra probably would have wanted to "train/experiment" on another dragon before the "main" one.
    So I always wondered who was the dragon we see on in the first cinematic "interrupted ritual " of Valindra's tower : he seems quite small and the color is not really easy to see. I want him to be blue and to be Fulminorax ^^, though it's unclear how Valindra would have been able to recover his remains.
    Unfortunately, after Omu, we never saw Valindra again, but I still hope our path will cross again ;).

- Sybella's legacy quests (5 quests, 100 kills) in Sharandar will be gone. But I saw Infernal Descent/Vallenhas being shifted to the legacy campaign category in the quest book, so it may indicate that the Infernal Descent/Vallenhas campaign will, in the future, be included in Sybella's quests ?

- Old New Sharandar currency obviously gone.
    It's unclear what would happen about the guild's stronghold, and if the ressources coming from Sharandar would be replaced by something else for the buildings or would simply disappear from the needs to unlock ranks and buildings. But i guess something will be done there (mhhh, i hope so ... )
    That's also mean the elixir of heroism you can buy in sharandar's shop will be gone, so will be the skins (+ some rare loot/skin you can only get in Celadaine Tower).
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I think everything of this makes sense in the concept that Chris repeated a lot about "living zones", or "living worlds" like the zones change over time, so you wont have the same experience going to a place now or in 4 years.

You can agree or disagree with this, I think like everything, can be good or bad, depending on the implementation. This can be more engaging for players, to live things as they are in that moment so you feel more part of the history.

Redeemed citadel is the same concept, the problem is that the rewards (items mostly) can be replaced with better ones as the game advances.

I like this concept, but we all agree, that the boon problem need to be addressed because boon points cant be replaced by something better. Maybe the problem is link the boons to zones.

I think the best solution is to give every new player, 5 boon points at start, or the points given by sharandar campaign.

Sharandar currency for stronholds is another problem. I think stronholds need a big big revamp that includes lots of other problems.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    Like others said, IMO the most logical is to make it a story campaign, somewhat like Undermountain.

Change the dailies from repeatable to one time quests, and let people do the zone and get the boons. You both get to preserve nice content, solve the boons issue, and people can have the story timeline that leads to MC. (At large, This concept should also include old CN where we defeat Valinthrax or what's his name)

And those that want to skip it can skip it.

IMO there are a lot of middle ground options between the extremes of endless grind in outdated content where new players give up, and removing completely and creating story gaps, boons issues and disparity.

Old Sharandar

With our revisit to Sharandar, the old campaign and zones will be going away.

The boons from the old Sharandar campaign are included in the new campaign

The boon tasks in the new campaigns line up with the old campaign boon order. If you received the first two boons from old Sharandar, but not the 3rd-5th, then the first two boon tasks in the new Sharandar will award 1 boon point and the third, fourth and fifth tasks will award 2 boon points.

Old Sharandar currency will be listed in a new obsolete category in the Riches tab and be highlighted red. It will be able to be exchanged at the Antiquities Scholar in Protector’s Enclave.

The campaign keys for Malabog’s Castle and Master of the Hunt have moved to the Wondrous Bazaar for 2,500 AD and remain once a day purchases.

Just found this in a developer blog post here.

So, what if someone hasn't gotten any of the boon points? Will they get 2 points for all in the new zone? (That's my assumption, but you know what they say about assuming.)

Trading in old currency still doesn't address the question about Fey Trinkets for the Guild upgrades.

2,500AD for keys for Malabog's Castle and Master of the Hunt? Really? The chests in MotH rarely, if ever, give that amount of AD, so we're going to lose AD just for a (small) chance at a decent prize? I don't think I'll be opening the second chest in those queues ever again.
  • sagakaiyume#0847 sagakaiyume Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    0 in old, you get 10 in new (2 pts each)
    1 in old, 9 in new (1 point for first boon, 2 per others)
    2 in old, 8 in new (1 point for first 2 boons, 2 per others)
    And so forth.

2,500 AD is pretty pathetic, should allow us to still make the keys..Still waiting for info about strongholds.