test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why have both power and damage?

I was just thinking about the issue with power being capped and the problems that causes for existing players with very power-weighted gear. I then started wondering what the purpose actually is of having both power and damage?

The relationship between power and damage has always seemed odd. They both largely do the same thing, with one contributing to the other. You could even argue, semantically, that damage IS power (for either dps or healing purpose). Why are both actually needed, moving forward? Why not remove power completely, convert all "power" items into damage booster, and let damage be uncapped.

I realise it could lead to the same problem of power creep, which is why I'd probably re-work the power bonuses to give a smaller damage buff and maybe include a negative counter-weight with more of the damage bonuses (like iron-rusted leggings).

But I can't quite get my head around why both power and damage are needed?

Comments

• Options
    mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I'm assuming you mean % damage. If that's the case , then yes they do do the same thing but in different ways (at least before m16).

From my understanding Power is relative (or something like that), at a certain amount the more you have the more you need to equal a % damage buff. So while a 100 points of power Equal 1% damage, in your overall damage is would be much less if you're rocking 200k+ power.
    Damage buffs on the other hand would always increase your overall damage no matter how much power you had. If you hit for a 100, adding a %3 buff would make you hit for 103%. Now if you hit for 200 than adding 3% would let you hit for 206%.
    I think M16 changed it so that 3% would be a flat 3%, making it just less and less relevant as your base damage goes up.

Used to be damage buffs multiplied off each other, allowing players to do 1000% more damage.

"Power creep" was never a real problem in the sense of stack power itself.
    Adding negative effects to % damage gear would be could of stupid sense players can't just stack buffs on top of each other for massive damage like we used to.