test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We demand APIs!

xfirewallxxfirewallx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
Dear Cryptic,

NWO has been around for almost eight (8) years.

However, outside of the game - it has not matured much.

Sure, I can hook in a *very* small subset of APIs for my SteelSeries keyboard to display some useless information on its tiny OLED screen.

But games like WoW (https://develop.battle.net/) offer more to their constituents.

Mature games offer APIs to allow at READING data, thus providing a mechanism to create custom websites (e.g. see which guild members or alliance members are online, stats, being able to read the latest artifact/equipment data from the game INSTEAD of relying on 6 month old Wikis.)

Why do the developers and/or supervisors of this game deliberately not allow NWO to mature like the rest?

We are NOT asking you to give out source code or anything.

Just create some APIs!

You know how to do it. WoW does it.

Why can't you?

Thank you,

Firewall.

Comments

• Options
    gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    PWE isn't a company that cares about the product. The devs may care, and honestly want to give the players the great stuff they want, and more, but their bosses will never give them the resources/permissions to do that, since all they care about is fleecing the customers as much as possible.
  • Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    This would be a wonderful thing to have access to. But how do they make money off it? I suspect things that can't make them money go to the bottom of the list for development unless it's going to really stand out and cause income in other ways.

Many remember the Gateway, it was wonderful tool but was heavily exploited. Even if it was re-invented as a read only tool it would make a HUGE difference!!
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    How was the gateway exploited?
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Botting. The Auction House had a few minutes extra through the gateway to bid on items that were already closed in the game.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    gradii said:

How was the gateway exploited?

There were many ways. There was scripting that would automate all professions. The AH issue greywynd mentioned. Scripts would also allow opening a stack of items in your inventory instead of opening them 1 at a time.

But that's not the point, the point is all the useful features that were there! View your inventory from a webpage. Check your character sheet. Pretty sure I could check mail from there as well. The mini game was kinda neat for getting pet gear, not sure if that was exploited or just farmed but anyways.
  • Options
    rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    *grabs popcorn*
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    reg1981 said:

The mini game was kinda neat for getting pet gear, not sure if that was exploited or just farmed but anyways.

The mini-game was botted. There was a video showing people just let the program ran. Gateway was shutdown not too long after that.

Zax bot to buy low and sell high (before Zax hit the 500 cap back then).

Bot to run old profession (that mean to require human interaction to set up and take the output) 24x7 and auto post to AH.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

*grabs popcorn*

Time to shine Rainer! Put away the popcorn and speak up :)