test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alienware M11x AlienFX shutting off

nemesiswarlocknemesiswarlock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I'm playing on my M11x and my keyboard lights keep blinking and shutting off while playing Neverwinter. I've tried everything I can think of, Enable 3rd party AlienFX access on/off, keep FX enabled and the moment I log into Neverwinter my keyboard goes dark.

Need help in fixing this.
Post edited by nemesiswarlock on

Comments

• jalekjalek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was having this problem with the M17x Alienware, but turning off "Enable 3rd party AlienFX access" appears to have worked for now.
  • nemesiswarlocknemesiswarlock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I have that option off and my keyboard is still in dark mode. Every so often it flashes on and off, so does the Alien head (power button) and the accent lights towards the bottom.
  • nemesiswarlocknemesiswarlock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fixed...I checked the option to keep the status zones on while in dark mode and disabled 3rd party access.
  • palinrirpalinrir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey, I've never actually needed to fix this sort of thing for any reason. Can you give me a quick walk through on how to get to these options? I can't seem to find them.
  • elly737elly737 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    palinrir wrote: »
    Hey, I've never actually needed to fix this sort of thing for any reason. Can you give me a quick walk through on how to get to these options? I can't seem to find them.

Right click the icon in your system tray and uncheck "Enable 3rd party AlienFX access "
  • daralenmantadaralenmanta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is still occurring as of today on my M18x. To clarify, the options they're talking about above are in the "Alienware AlienFX" right-click menu in your systray. By disabling both of the options mentioned in the last post by nemesiswarlock, the game stopped making changes to my backlight. Even after exiting the game however, I still had to open the "Alienware Command Center" to get the lighting back to what I consider normal.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lol funny, i have the issue that the backlights from my tv turn off while playing neverwinter
  • mythicgriffonmythicgriffon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jalek wrote: »
    I was having this problem with the M17x Alienware, but turning off "Enable 3rd party AlienFX access" appears to have worked for now.

This fixed it for me, Thank you it was driving me crazy!
    As long as they fear...
  • crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We're looking into a solution for this now. Thanks for reporting it!

To those of you who do keep the option on, there are a few in-game indicators hooked up to the Alienware lighting features, like low health and full action points. It just sets the keyboard to black when those aren't on. Hopefully we can get a fix in for that.
  • aggropotatoaggropotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    We're looking into a solution for this now. Thanks for reporting it!

To those of you who do keep the option on, there are a few in-game indicators hooked up to the Alienware lighting features, like low health and full action points. It just sets the keyboard to black when those aren't on. Hopefully we can get a fix in for that.

Yes, I've noticed that the lights correspond to on-screen events. Good idea actually, but the current implementation seems somewhat random. Will be great if the lights could provide 'mood lighting' instead of random flickering.

For example, deep green for dungeons, green for verdant areas, orange for desert zones, light blue for wintry zones, red for low health as well as when mobs are telegraphing.
    JtuEMvw.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I've noticed that the lights correspond to on-screen events. Good idea actually, but the current implementation seems somewhat random. Will be great if the lights could provide 'mood lighting' instead of random flickering.

For example, deep green for dungeons, green for verdant areas, orange for desert zones, light blue for wintry zones, red for low health as well as when mobs are telegraphing.

Environment-triggered lighting stuff are some of the initial ideas we had but haven't made it in yet. At some point, hopefully we can get that all hooked up and have some of the environment artists set up some nice moody lighting to take advantage of the hardware. I'm just afraid I can't promise this will happen right away because everyone's scrambling to fix a whole slew of new issues from open beta at the moment.

I will be looking at the Alienware lighting issues independent of that, however.
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys. I just fixed the bug where the Alienware lights would not going back to your own settings after you quit the game. It may take a little while to go through all the process of getting this fix to the live game, but I'll keep you updated.

Unfortunately, there's still not a menu option to disable the game taking over the lighting, so you'll still have to do that through the option in the Alienware command center software at the moment for that.
  • daed76daed76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how about fixing the game so it doesn't constantly revert to windowed maximized after it has been set to full screen? i think that's more important than lights..
    edited May 2013
    daed76 wrote: »
    how about fixing the game so it doesn't constantly revert to windowed maximized after it has been set to full screen? i think that's more important than lights..

Please keep separate issues to their own threads.
  • zarithuzarithu Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys. I just fixed the bug where the Alienware lights would not going back to your own settings after you quit the game. It may take a little while to go through all the process of getting this fix to the live game, but I'll keep you updated.

Unfortunately, there's still not a menu option to disable the game taking over the lighting, so you'll still have to do that through the option in the Alienware command center software at the moment for that.

any chance u could just set it to "green" when there are no events, so when my health is full my keyboard and PC are green. giving me the "all ok" i do love that it goes red when i'm low health and flashes yellow with full AP. just no lighting at all when there are no events makes it suck.

Thanks in advance!
    Zar
  • rustedheartzrustedheartz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have Go Dark enabled and 3rd party AlienFX disabled, yet the lights flash on and off randomly :(
  • seriphinxseriphinx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just signed up for the beta tonight and having a m17X it startled me when my lights went out. But after noticing it blinking in spots along with the game I realize it was intentional and seemed pretty neat. I just have to play with the lamp on now.

Needless to say I'm glad I'm not the only that noticed this, then I would have been worried lol.
  • zpakkazpakka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ehi everyone, i have the same problem with my m17x, tryed everything but nothing good happens, the lights continue to flash (exept when i'm low healt where everything seems to explode XD flashing red lights are really cool XD) and most of the time there's no lights displayed on my keyboard, but another thing that makes me crazy is that the button (of my m17x) about volume, sound option (like play rewind forward), the button of fx and for wi-fi and also the cd eject button are considered as the normal button of the keyboard, for example the forward button is the "p" key, so everytime i want to change song on my playlist i'll change it and open the power window at the same time...

pls someone have a solution to this horrible issue??? i'm bored to open and close windows only because i want to change a song without alt+tab the game...

(for this issue i already tryed a lot of things without any good solution)

thanks
  • runalogarunaloga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The game is probably punishing people from making unintelligent purchases.
  • technotribaltechnotribal Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have the same issues as ZPAKKA - I have disabled the "3rd party Access", and turned on "keep Status zones on during go dark" but I still have issues with the lights - Random Flashing on and off of lights --> the alienware logo below the keyboard, on the volume controls, and the suround around the touch pad. Its driving me crazy! Please fix this.
  • projectlibertyprojectliberty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey guys. I know this was submitted a long time ago but I have found a much simpler solution. From your keyboard hit windowskey+q, type in LightFX.dll and search files. Right click the file LightFX.dll and click "open file location". This will bring you to the neverwinter folder in your computer. Right click LightFX.dll and click delete. This does not mess up your game and it keeps your colors of choice on while playing the game. However, your alienware will not light up red or anything like that when activated by an action in game (which I personally think is a good thing :D) hope this works for you guys
  • waldojimwaldojim Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I realize this is an old thread. But I would like to know, are there any updates regarding a fix for the flickering lights?

I have an Alienware 14 (the new model), and have the same problems mentioned above. Only this isn't limited to any one zone. All zones end up flickering randomly. I also appreciate the low health indicator, and it works quite well, but the 'normal' state is a bit too distracting.
  • kainetaykainetay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zarithu wrote: »
    any chance u could just set it to "green" when there are no events, so when my health is full my keyboard and PC are green. giving me the "all ok" i do love that it goes red when i'm low health and flashes yellow with full AP. just no lighting at all when there are no events makes it suck.

Thanks in advance!
    Zar

I totally agree, I'm playing on an Aurora ALX Desktop and I hope you guys can make it at least green or something when status is normal. Occasionally when I glace at my KB I can't see when I'm playing in low light...
  • eddiestormeddiestorm Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    well the comments made in the thread saying sorry for waking up such an old thread...were from 2013

I am still having this issue. I log into one of my characters the API controlled colors flash a few times and then everything goes off. Occasionally while playing something happens lights start flashing. Is there something I can do to fix this?