test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

emote change that i would like to see

blackwolftundrablackwolftundra Member Posts: 179 Arc User
i wanted to make a post and ask why the devs would ever give the male race the seductive dance and why they couldn't have given them anything else but this one for how i dont have a problem with them doing /emote (snake) (wave) (guitar) or anything else if they would only keep the seductive dance on female race please

Comments

• eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    Disagree. I'd rather remove gender-specific flags on items rather than add them. Dances, fashion and armor visuals, etc.

As it stands, continuing to program for binary genders only is going to be increasingly seen as outdated and cisnormative. This has been a slow process for much of the gaming industry, especially when it's hard-coded into so many video games, but table-top and other games are already adapting.

For just one example relevant to this game, in table-top D&D the God of the Elves Corellon has been androgynous since their creation, and now often regarded as non-binary or genderfluid, even granting select elves the ability to change "physical sex" once per day. Official sources leave the meaning of that up to player and DM interpretation, but as genders and sexes are significantly less binary than previously believed, I allow a significant variety in my games.

It'd be nice to see that make its way into Neverwinter the MMORPG as well.
    Call me El, she/her only. Currently Professions-only until the next combat change fixes this mess.
  • hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    While @blackwolftundra statement might sound sexist, I know the game Guild Wars separates the /dance emote by the 2 sexes and the 10 classes for a total of 20 dances depending on both the character sex and class selected. Many of the dances are based on movie and TV dances, such as the male fighter does the John Travolta dance moves from Saturday Night Fever while the female fighter does the Watusi dance from Pulp Fiction. I never felt this was sexist in anyway, but sad they didn't just allow all 20 dances to be done by all. The male elementalist in the game does the dance done by Elaine Benes in the episode entitled "The Little Kicks" from the TV series Seinfeld.

I agree that dancing should not be thought of in a gender role. If you feel uncomfortable with males who dance seductive, I recommend you avoid the Vistani campfires at all cost. :lol:
  • blackwolftundrablackwolftundra Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    lol ok i only use the seductive dance on my female fighter cleric or rogue when i want to go relax somewhere why i said i like it better on females than dudes