test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

for a class called barbarian there certainly isnt much barbarian like transmutes

gor1llaf1stgor1llaf1st Member Posts: 143 Arc User
fix it

Comments

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Oog want to dress in dinosaur skins, carry big club made of dragon bone and wood! Bang rocks together, make music!
  • Options
    ltsmithnekoltsmithneko Member Posts: 1,578 Arc User
    Because the class was renamed to Barbarian~
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Because the class was renamed to Barbarian~

In addition, the class once known as Great Weapon Fighter is still internally named Fighter, as back in early Mod 16, GWF took the Fighter name and GF was Guardian (until a later patch).

If you look at some of the old items (Cloaked Ascendancy artifact weapons, Elemental Evil artifact weapons, Maze Engine class Cloaks), you can see the Barbie sets are actually labeled as "(x) of the Fighter" sets while the GF weapons are labeled as "(x) of the Guardian" sets.

You can also sometimes see the internal names when the patch note writers forget to convert names, such as the one time the tank HP broke (the tank passive was labeled as "Guardian's Path of the Vanguard").

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    Club of Ogrekind, only costs you half a million.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    I have not played a fighter or barbarian with any consistency since ever. I dabbled a little way, way back when, but never really got into either. I did spend more time with a GWF back in the day than I have with a GF, though, and haven't played either since well before mod 16.

Just wanted to get that out of the way.

I thought that renaming the class was a good idea, and I was far from alone. I don't think that anyone with any critical thinking skills could look at how class development was going and seriously think that there would be any appreciable amount of new rogue or cleric types, or that a 'proper' barbarian class was just around the corner. The "sub-classes" that we had were pretty much going to be the only representation that those classes would have in the game, and what would they do with a barbarian to make it stand out from a GWF to the extent that it would justify the development time, anyway?

However, and I said as much at the time, it was my hope that they would add more "barbaric" armor into the game for the newly named barbarian class.

Those that preferred the more civilized GWF appearances had those, and there could still be some more now and then, but if this was going to be the barbarian now then it needed a visual push in that direction for those that truly wanted to play a barbarian.

The barbarian should be sharing more armors with rangers than with fighters and paladins, and in general getting more armors out of leatherworking than armorsmithing.

I guess that, as of now, it's still very much the GWF visually.
    Post edited by mithrosnomore on