test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Remember when the orcus fight took 10 minutes?

I was just thinking about the dungeons back in the day.
When or us at the end of castle never took a good 10 minutes to complete and you HAD to run the mechanics (which you learned from previous parts of the dungeon).
Getting ready to spread before the balls would spawn or jumping into the portals .

Those were the good old days of running dungeons and I miss them.
Seems like mechanics have been replaced with dps, heal and tank checks creating a demand for geared enough instead of good enough.

Comments

• Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Aye. I would add:
    - when you could enter a dungeon with any combination of characters and get a chance to make it
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    rev#7881 rev Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    and when you could stack recovery so you wouldn't stand there just using at-wills as a support, sigh :'(
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Where were you a couple years ago when the DPS issue was that bad you could do Orcus in 30 seconds.
  • Options
    halfmeadhalfmead Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    yes... and i can also still remember when i could heal...all that is gone now :)
  • Options
    jganthjganth Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    I recall doing a random queue in Castle Never pre Mod-16, and our Fighter Tank barely made it into the queue with their IL requirements. We wiped a few times at the Orcus/Final, but it was only through careful coordination and adjusting powers/buff/debuffing did we manage to complete the dungeon and best Orcus. Back then there were 3 to 4 times more powers and options for adjusting to the party composition.

Not all random players are so meta-geared, nor do all players fully understand these mechanics. Some just play because it's a D&D game, or the closest thing to a game with Faerun content.

This was the last time I had that much fun and interaction in a dungeon in this game - the changes have watered down the game to where there is less diversity in builds and characters than ever. So what exactly is driving the players to participate with each other more? It feels more and more like a single player game with 100's of others playing single player along side.

The attitudes in today's random queue's is like everyone cannot wait for it to end and collect. Building experiences! Yeah...
  • Options
    carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User

I was just thinking about the dungeons back in the day.

When or us at the end of castle never took a good 10 minutes to complete and you HAD to run the mechanics (which you learned from previous parts of the dungeon).

Getting ready to spread before the balls would spawn or jumping into the portals .

Those were the good old days of running dungeons and I miss them.

Seems like mechanics have been replaced with dps, heal and tank checks creating a demand for geared enough instead of good enough.

I have many complaints about recent mods, but mechanic design isn't one of them. I consider the mechanics in LoMM way more interesting than the ones in CN, for instance.

ToMM and Zariel's Challenge do have pretty hard DPS checks, but the mechanical complexity they have is way higher than any other content previously put in this game, so saying that "mechanics were replaced by DPS, heal and tank checks" is not accurate IMO. Even now that ToMM is "trivialized" to end-game players due to the buffs to Weapon Damage, 10 fully geared players certainly won't survive phase 3 by their gear alone, the mechanics need to be done correctly.

I like the mechanics in ToMM, I think they did a good job there. I also like the mechanics in Zariel's Challenge (even though it's basically a carbon copy of The Crown of the Immaculate Extreme from FFXIV).
  • Options
    tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    These were also the same days that created the GWF that could solo any content by OHK-ing every mob and boss while healing several times over their Max HP per hit. Also don't even begin to pretend that BiS gearing back then wasn't the exact same kind of carbon copy snooze fest people claim it is now.

Power Creep is impossible to balance and like it or not; Balance is the gold standard.

Orcus can also still be a 7+ minute fight if you actually comply to the iLvL for the content, as is every other piece of content likewise as difficult as advertised if you follow the directions.

Bur no, you choose to go in grossly over-geared and then complain about it.

For the record, I've completed every piece of content to date with a dedicated group; because we run it to the EXACT digit of Min iLvL to experience the tuning at which it was designed to be played. With a few exceptions, we've had minimal complaints about the difficulty.

And even then, certain classes like GWF had to be run using only the Sentinel tree before the changes.

You're free of course to your no longer having fun and by all means, you are free to seek other games if that's the case but in no way are you within your right to demean the efforts of an all too human Dev. team who can't always get everything right but for the love of all that is unholy, they are trying their best to reign in the dumpster fire this game had become.

Especially under the current circumstances.

Nothing can be perfect and this game sure as the nine-hells isn't but it's exponentially in a better place now than it has been for years. There are people who are not only enjoying the game but are doing so with DIFFERENT playstyles.

Something that has been sorely lacking for years.
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

Power Creep is impossible to balance

If they capped the power stat, like a lot of the others stats, then this is something that can be balanced. This will cause the problem that it will end the incentive to invest in ever newer items and upgrading enchantments, but there are other ways for the whales (and casuals) to buy stuff, it does not always have to be about how much dps they have.

• Options
    jeremytheman232jeremytheman232 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I remember t9g taking longer than etos or cragmire. Now I can blaze t9g and put up 45mil dps as tank pally but take forever and get downed in eros and epic cragmire pug runs
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

If they capped the power stat, like a lot of the others stats, then this is something that can be balanced. This will cause the problem that it will end the incentive to invest in ever newer items and upgrading enchantments, but there are other ways for the whales (and casuals) to buy stuff, it does not always have to be about how much dps they have.

Power creep isn't about the whales. It is about advancing the game as a whole.

Which totally sucks when they factor in (bad) scaling.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    nooneatzanooneatza Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Since when do forum users think executing mechanics is a fun part of dungeons? I seem to recall people asking for cradle, cr, tomm nerfs alot lately

Are you sure it isn't just the nostalgia or the fact that you were weaker back then and faced a real challenge(which people avoid now apparently) that makes you think it was fun ?

[i rarely post vitriolic comments like these so if it's deemed toxic straight up remove it please]
  • Options
    vaultingfrog#2497 vaultingfrog Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.....
  • Options
    pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    Maybe I missed it...we not gonna talk about when CN didn't have a stupid Orcus fight?