test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stat caps VS Item Level

regpeiregpei Member Posts: 86 Arc User
It's time to get some suggested stats posted for dungeons, trials, and campaigns. I played this game for over 5 years, I ALWAYS played a mod or two behind everyone else. If that character caught up to current content, I played a different character. Never did I have a toon that was up to date in campaigns, until now. This started when I took my Warlock in Well of Dragons MANY years ago. I went on 2 back to back days, and to this day I don't like WOD because of the HAMSTER I went through the first time there. It's been since that mod I've made a point to stay behind in campaigns. Side effect of this is I have 1 of each class with a pile of boons!

But what changed? I learned how stat caps work. I learned why I had a terrible time in new zones when they came out. I learned what zones required what stats. I was drug to the finish line kicking and screaming! But it's not something that is taught by the game. It's something that is shared in the community and figured out by a select few. Why can this information not be learned from playing the game? If you don't want to tell people the exact caps add suggested stats so people have an idea of what to build for!

There are so many people that want to play newer content but without guidance they aren't getting there. And when they finally make it in, it's a total train wreck. But they don't understand why. I never did until I was sat down and taken through it.

I'm not asking you to solve the puzzle of pet gear/rings/artis/gear for us. But guidance on caps for zones would make a huge difference! Doing lomm and under, I turn off the defense boon and use incoming healing or HP. Why? Cause I can. I'm capped for Def lomm and under without the boon. There are MANY tweaks you can make to your character based on the content your running, but the game doesn't teach us this.

And a side note, anyone who talks like this or makes a post like this is instantly considered an elitist. Eff that. Many are, sure, but not all. It's not about being elite, it's about the UNWRITTEN zone prerequisites that frustrate many players.

Comments

• Options
    And I'm not asking to keep people out of zones when they don't meet the requirements, I only want the recommendations posted!
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    The stat caps are listed in a way. It is a bit confusing though as each stat has it's own quirks. Enemy ratings is how stat caps are known in general, but you need to know to what to add to those ratings to get the most. For example, you need to know that CA has a cap of 100%, so you take 100k+enemy ratings to get your stat cap, but defense, crit, and most other stats is 50% so you need 50k+ratings instead. I think the dungeons should present the information in a better way, however there isn't a quick way to do that without too much clutter or too complicated a code to convert your own stats to percentages based on the zone/dungeon you are in.
  • Options
    arazith07 said:

The stat caps are listed in a way. It is a bit confusing though as each stat has it's own quirks. Enemy ratings is how stat caps are known in general, but you need to know to what to add to those ratings to get the most. For example, you need to know that CA has a cap of 100%, so you take 100k+enemy ratings to get your stat cap, but defense, crit, and most other stats is 50% so you need 50k+ratings instead. I think the dungeons should present the information in a better way, however there isn't a quick way to do that without too much clutter or too complicated a code to convert your own stats to percentages based on the zone/dungeon you are in.

This in itself is a problem. First, how does the game teach us this? IMO it doesn't.

How do I find enemy ratings? On the map I see 1 dot up to what 4 dots? 5? above an enemy's head. What does that translate to? I guess nothing applicable because it exists in different areas that have different requirements.

How do I know that CA has a cap of 100%? And that others are 50%? I do know this, but the game didn't teach me this. Google did.

Then there's the current healing crit % equation! I know it, use it on DC and OP, but the game never taught me this.

These are things that players need to know.

Then there is combat advantage in general, I understand how it works, but only after 5 years in this game. I suspect I took advantage of it in the past without knowing, but now that I know, I'm much better. But the game didn't teach me this, a session in the trade of blades with someone much better than me taught me this.
  • Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    regpei said:

arazith07 said:

This in itself is a problem. First, how does the game teach us this? IMO it doesn't.

How do I find enemy ratings? On the map I see 1 dot up to what 4 dots? 5? above an enemy's head. What does that translate to? I guess nothing applicable because it exists in different areas that have different requirements.

How do I know that CA has a cap of 100%? And that others are 50%? I do know this, but the game didn't teach me this. Google did.

Then there's the current healing crit % equation! I know it, use it on DC and OP, but the game never taught me this.

These are things that players need to know.

Then there is combat advantage in general, I understand how it works, but only after 5 years in this game. I suspect I took advantage of it in the past without knowing, but now that I know, I'm much better. But the game didn't teach me this, a session in the trade of blades with someone much better than me taught me this.
    I agree a lot of this information is only available in old dev blogs or google/friends/community (mainly the M16 ones), but in general you see the enemy ratings in the dungeon queue window when you select the dungeon and maps that match the dungeon have the same ratings. It is a lot of information though. They are doing a better job at promoting our content creators though, which do have those resources laid out for us.
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    A simple colour coding plus a tooltip in character sheet would resolve this.

Depending on what zone you are if you see your character sheet each stat should have a colour green or red. If its red, it means you are under the cap and the tooltip can tell you what is the cap amount.

Simple and intuitive.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    b4t1b4tb4t1b4t Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    If this game took steps to fix that things be different. I agree when I was playing and all that the game really did not teach me nothing about states. Even before mod 16 changed it. The game never really took the time to teach you about stats and caps. When I first started this game I leveled a toon up and gave it what I thought was right and later found out it was all wrong.
    The game should have some where some how some place where a player can learn about the stats.
    I think a library built in that a player can open and read about each stat given and their caps. This would help the player in the long run. I just doubt that will happen.