test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Character File Missing?

bannikusbannikus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
I haven't been able to play Neverwinter or Star Trek Online this year.
Every time I try to log in,it loads normally,then as it tries to load the character screen,it hangs,then crashes.
I've got updated drivers and Windows files.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit.
Dell Inspiron 5520 Laptop
Intl Core i5-3210M CPU at 2.50Ghz
8 GB RAM

As I stated,the games seem to be missing the character list files. Those would be at the game server,right?
I tried uninstalling,then re-installing. It persists.
I tried checking the Force Verify in Options. Nope.
I tried the On-Demand Patching. Nope.
I created a new account,then tried logging in. Nope. I hoped starting fresh might create a new character file. Nope.

Comments

• Options
    nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 416 Arc User
    @bannikus

Have you tried, at the PLAY window, go to Options, select fullscreen, Save, then click Play. Sometime you will get a message, if so select "play at lowest setting". Also make sure you have at least DirectX 10.

If I recall when i used to crash at load characters, it was a graphic issue and updating that drivers allow me to fix it.

• Options
    hotfrostwormhotfrostworm Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    Yes all the information is stored server side. Reinstalling the game or playing from another machine will not effect your account. All you need to do is enter the email address you signed up with and password. If you cannot remember your password contact support and have them reset the password. I am assuming bannikus is your original User ID since it doesn't have the numbers new user have on their accounts. If you can sign into this forum, you should be able to sign into the game. If you log in and find missing characters or items, then you need to contact support for sure and file a trouble ticket. Please DON'T share your password or email with anyone here or support!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    nic1985 said:

@bannikus

Have you tried, at the PLAY window, go to Options, select fullscreen, Save, then click Play. Sometime you will get a message, if so select "play at lowest setting". Also make sure you have at least DirectX 10.

If I recall when i used to crash at load characters, it was a graphic issue and updating that drivers allow me to fix it.

All my drivers are up-to-date. I'm always in Full Screen mode. I have DirectX 11. I'll try un-checking Full Screen to see if that helps..... Nope,it's still not working. It loads the Cryptic screen,then starts loading the Neverwinter screen,then hangs a couple minutes,then crashes. It's like it can't find the character file,....??
    Post edited by bannikus on
  • Options
    I am assuming bannikus is your original User ID since it doesn't have the numbers new user have on their accounts.
    Nope. My forum name is different than my game name :-)

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    bannikus said:

I am assuming bannikus is your original User ID since it doesn't have the numbers new user have on their accounts.
    Nope. My forum name is different than my game name :-)

Are you sure you are logging into the correct account?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Yes,I'm not a moron LOL
    I've played this since Open Beta.
    I think I know the problem.... Windows 7. Microsoft no longer supports it. I have that OS.
    Even though all other games run just fine,Cryptic must have something the others don't.
    SW:TOR,EQ 1&2, LOTRO,DCU-Online, SWG-Emu, D&DO,etc... no problems. Most have graphics just as good, or slightly lower, than Cryptic games.
    SWG-Emus are all player-run servers,and some of them have better dev teams,and better communication,than Cryptic. Not a good sign.

• Options

Besides,I have no problem LOGGING IN!!! The problem occurs as it tries to load the character screen. You should have gotten that from my OP. LOL