test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A better scaling system

zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
IT would be simpler to scale each character stat half-way to the content target level, rather than gimp items & boon effects.

Here is an example of how a simplified system would work:

LoMM -
Enemy positive ratings are 66,000
Enemy negative ratings are 16,000
The target rating is (66,000 + 16,000 / 2) = 41,000

All character rating amounts in excess of 41,000 would have that excess amount cut in half

A character with 75,000 actual deflection would have it reduced by ((75,000 - 41,000) divided by two),
the 75,000 deflection becomes 58,000 when in LoMM.
This gets further reduced by the 16,000 enemy ratings to become 42,000 effective LoMM deflect

Strength would scale down toward four times the target rating (164,000)
Health would scale down toward twelve times the target rating (492,000)

This is a VERY basic formula. It would require some slight adustment of most content.

Advantage of the system is whats important:
Every bit of stat that a character adds to their character has some effect, no matter how high you make it unless it caps to 50%.
The game does not rate the values of effects and boons... the players do. Equip powers become part of character value. the game does not need to evaluate their worth, the player will. Content will scale fine without needing to rate how much 4 Charisma or 5%crit severity is worth.

Comments

• nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    According to the Devs released of Neverwinter roadmap, Mod19 will have "scaling system evolution" in June.

Also let me see if I get your suggestions of simplified system. Currently in non scale (PE) I sit at 194K base Power, Qing into LoMM my power is now scaled to 185K base Power.

Could you tell me in your simplified system what my 194K base power will be scale down to in LoMM?
    Post edited by nic1985 on
  • carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    I think complex scaling rules for stats just don't make any sense. A simple cap for HP and Power, defined appropriately for each dungeon, would be enough to avoid the power creep, and would be very easy to understand. The other stats would be kept in line by the simple fact that they cap at 50% (100% for CA).
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    nic1985 said:

According to the Devs released of Neverwinter roadmap, Mod19 will have "scaling system evolution" in June.

Also let me see if I get your suggestions of simplified system. Currently in non scale (PE) I sit at 194K base Power, Qing into LoMM my power is now scaled to 185K base Power.

Could you tell me in your simplified system what my 194K base power will be scale down to?

This is 5k less, but none of your equipment effects, enchantment effects, boon effects, or companion effects would get downscaled at all. The amount or setting is not the vital to the concept. The concept is to leave everything unscaled except stats, and that stats should be individually scaled.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 43 Arc User

Even Better YET... how about NO SCALING AT ALL. Let those who want to run it the way they spent HOURS AND HOURS and days and weeks and months and money to have a powerful toon run it, and let those who want a challenge REMOVE THEIR Bonding runes, companion gear and their weapon and armor enchants and then run the Epic content.

Why do we even bother working up and saving AD for rank 15's when they are just going to be scaled to rank 12 or 13's ????
    Just NO LOGIC there.

Yep
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    Scaling of this system is 100% indication of poor game design. Why should there be scaling at all when you have worked to achieve some kind of gain only to have it nullified while running content that gives little to no reward but is harder to win? If the rewards actually met the difficulty then fine, add in scaling. It currently is a convoluted blatantly obvious system of controlling length of time to completion for ad reward. I bet cryptic has some golden number of average minutes they want for x ad reward. So they base all the silly game mechanics like adding 15 gates to Malabogs to meet this time average gimic.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    krumple01 said:

Scaling of this system is 100% indication of poor game design. Why should there be scaling at all when you have worked to achieve some kind of gain only to have it nullified while running content that gives little to no reward but is harder to win? If the rewards actually met the difficulty then fine, add in scaling. It currently is a convoluted blatantly obvious system of controlling length of time to completion for ad reward. I bet cryptic has some golden number of average minutes they want for x ad reward. So they base all the silly game mechanics like adding 15 gates to Malabogs to meet this time average gimic.

Back before module 6 pulled all the dungeons out, for a year of repairs, they were in very good shape. I never did care much for what came back to us. I never felt it was a wise decision to bribe veteran players to assist in the dungeons. Dungeons are suppose to be fun. Players were playing the Foundry for AD rewards and new user generated content. Some of the Foundry authors have stated, Cryptic wanted players to return to their dungeons out of some sense of pride. They pulled the AD and XP rewards from the Foundry and eventually just pulled the Foundry in total. The players used salvage to make AD so they pulled that too. Don't you want to run the same six dungeons, that never change, over and over again? Now they take some of the best of the old dungeons and return them scaled up to 11 out of 10 as "new content" in Tales of Mold or the Grand Reselling. I do want Idris back, but back in Ebon Downs at the proper level. I want the Mad Dragon back in Helm's Hold.

What is the point of telling half a story?

All Cryptic plots are; Something bad has happened and you need to go to (insert place here) and help them. There is no solution at the end of the campaign. The story is left dangling. I go to Chult to end the death plague... solved? Did the woman who funded your expedition die? Was there ever a cure? No we got boons. Ravenloft do we defeat Strahd? Of course not! You cannot defeat the Dark Lord of Barovia. At least we saved the girl. I don't want to talk about the eggs so I will skip it. Undermountain at least had an outcome and the Master Expeditions was a nice touch. Now we are back in Hell protecting a rock because they don't want to leave. Really? Hey people! Makos has a portal right there by all those wounded who should be carried back to Neverwinter. Escape should be their priority. At the end we gave them time to think.... that doesn't make any sense!

As I stated above a few campaigns do have outcomes with conclusions. The Maze Engine has a great end to it. However that wasn't written by Cryptic. That was taken from the novels of R.A. Salvatore. Don't worry they got his permission.

Sorry about the wall of text, but scaling should never be an issue and wouldn't be an issue if they did it right to begin with. Coming to the aid of less-seasoned characters shouldn’t be easier. The reward of playing any game, should be the enjoyment of fresh content. If players need to be bribed with AD to assist other players, is the dungeon worth playing at all? If you see me in any dungeon, I entered by choice and not random. Yes, that means I am there to enjoy playing and not to get paid.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    The problem is Cryptic should never have attached rAD to the dungeons. Especially random dungeon bonus rAD. That is what ruins the dungeon for new players by attracting those who just want to get their AD as fast as they can.
  • zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    kharkov58 said:

The problem is Cryptic should never have attached rAD to the dungeons. Especially random dungeon bonus rAD. That is what ruins the dungeon for new players by attracting those who just want to get their AD as fast as they can.

@kharkov58: What should be the source of AD for new and veteran players?
  • zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    > @zimxero#8085 said:
    > (Quote)
    > @kharkov58: What should be the source of AD for new and veteran players?

Two possibilities off the top of my head:

1. Shift rAD generation for veterans to master/epic dungeons only. (There will still be speed runs and the perception of it when there are differences in experience, skill, and power. Only way to fully avoid it is to form pre-made parties where the style of run is established ahead of time.)

Note: This approach will almost certainly result in longer queue times, and will make struggling newcomers struggle even more when just about in over their heads, and this time without hope of being carried.

2. Allow rAD to drop from just about *all* activities - including basic mob killing. (The amount of rAD dropping can be adjusted for the scale of the endeavor - i e. killing mobs generates smaller-but-easily attainable rAD, thus benefitting everyone. Completing dungeons earns large chunks of rAD, etc.)

P.S. Radical simplification: get rid of AD entirely. Resort to *everything* being purchased with gold. Same concept as above, but one less currency to muddy the waters. (Personal note: I don't mind AD. I *do* mind the daily account-wide cap.)
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Scaling, and in far more places than it is now, in far better quality, is needed for the game to survive, like it or not you have to deal with it, or go play Skyrim which is single player and does not need it.
  • zyronaxzyronax Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    > @gradii said:
    > Scaling, and in far more places than it is now, in far better quality, is needed for the game to survive, like it or not you have to deal with it, or go play Skyrim which is single player and does not need it.

That's one view. Another view is that if Cryptic continues to sufficiently displease the core players that fund this game (you know, so that many of those players you claim to be so concerned about can play 'for free'), the longevity of NW will become increasingly precarious. Deal with that while you're busy pushing your own myopic agenda on others as though your opinion is fact. (It isn't.)