test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

the incredible cost of participating in the gond event

vigor#8801 vigor Member Posts: 196 Arc User
I think the 5 day gond even lasted about 4 hours, maybe 6. It is a shame because i had been looking forward to it ever since i came back a few months ago.

The cost to craft those things is incredible. I spent weeks trying to stockpile gold because it was expensive when i did it a year ago and then i did it the cheap way. There actually WAS a cheap way. it was my favorite event. I have been looking forward to it for months but here i am basically out of the event already. Spent dry despite stockpiling gold and AD. For what? I could have bought all the pres wards i would get from this event. Coal wards would be nice but it takes a ton of spending before you get to the point where a coal ward isn't wasted. The mounts have no bonus besides gladiator's guile and it isn't gonna do much for your player's effectiveness. you can't even unequip mounts to avoid getting "balanced" in scaled content. If i get the mounts, who am i gonna sell them to? The rich players probably already have them on every mule after they couldn't offload them. I like the anvil artifact but it costs so much to upgrade i'm not sure i want to do it despite having them still in inventory from the event last year. They are being sold for very little already. The forgehammers are in the auction house for 2 million and no one is buying so I am guessing they are relatively useless now. I always wanted one. I could have just bought one if i hadn't spent everything i had for 10 hrs worth of event.

The moment i saw how expensive it was to make sprockets (i think it is sprockets) i went into panic mode. I took advantage of the auction house chaos, buying and selling until i had tripled all i had. But i knew that wasn't enough to keep me going all the way through the event. The price of gold tripled. Everything that could be sold for gold practically disappeared except the few things that were listed at the same amount gold was listed at. Then, as quickly as the chaos began it ended. No one was buying on the AH any more. I had the cheapest prices for things for hours until everyone else selling started dropping prices. Even with low prices, still nothing was selling. Gold dropped back down below the price it was going for before the event.

Oh, and, remember that "vendor bug"? I didn't believe it was really a bug. The whole time i was thinking, "the devs did this on purpose so people couldn't prepare for gond". Am I to believe a game mechanic that has worked for 7 years suddenly and spontaneously malfunctioned right when people needed it most?

Gond went from being the best event in the game to nothing. Why not keep it fun but just make everything bta? As it is now, no one who needs the stuff from the event can afford to participate in the event.

I was just talking to some newbs about how the game is not newb friendly and why it isn't newb friendly. This event makes another good example.

For perspective, when i did it the first time i spent the first day just trying to figure it out. I happened to have about 300 gold on each of my 5 chars which lasted me 4 days. I had so much gold because i had just finished crafting enough gold for the next week. Then, after i ran out, i crafted gold for another day to let me do the event for the last day. All tolled i think i spent around 1875 gold during the event and got 7 coal wards, 12 mounts, 7 anvils, 3 blacksmiths (then i bought another 2 so each char would have one) and a bunch of wards (i didn't use any upgrading). That is a nice haul but it is a DROP IN A BUCKET compared to what 5 characters need to get egworthy.

Comments

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I think the 5 day gond even lasted about 4 hours, maybe 6. It is a shame because i had been looking forward to it ever since i came back a few months ago.

The cost to craft those things is incredible. I spent weeks trying to stockpile gold because it was expensive when i did it a year ago and then i did it the cheap way. There actually WAS a cheap way. it was my favorite event. I have been looking forward to it for months but here i am basically out of the event already. Spent dry despite stockpiling gold and AD. For what? I could have bought all the pres wards i would get from this event. Coal wards would be nice but it takes a ton of spending before you get to the point where a coal ward isn't wasted. The mounts have no bonus besides gladiator's guile and it isn't gonna do much for your player's effectiveness. you can't even unequip mounts to avoid getting "balanced" in scaled content. If i get the mounts, who am i gonna sell them to? The rich players probably already have them on every mule after they couldn't offload them. I like the anvil artifact but it costs so much to upgrade i'm not sure i want to do it despite having them still in inventory from the event last year. They are being sold for very little already. The forgehammers are in the auction house for 2 million and no one is buying so I am guessing they are relatively useless now. I always wanted one. I could have just bought one if i hadn't spent everything i had for 10 hrs worth of event.

The moment i saw how expensive it was to make sprockets (i think it is sprockets) i went into panic mode. I took advantage of the auction house chaos, buying and selling until i had tripled all i had. But i knew that wasn't enough to keep me going all the way through the event. The price of gold tripled. Everything that could be sold for gold practically disappeared except the few things that were listed at the same amount gold was listed at. Then, as quickly as the chaos began it ended. No one was buying on the AH any more. I had the cheapest prices for things for hours until everyone else selling started dropping prices. Even with low prices, still nothing was selling. Gold dropped back down below the price it was going for before the event.

Oh, and, remember that "vendor bug"? I didn't believe it was really a bug. The whole time i was thinking, "the devs did this on purpose so people couldn't prepare for gond". Am I to believe a game mechanic that has worked for 7 years suddenly and spontaneously malfunctioned right when people needed it most?

Gond went from being the best event in the game to nothing. Why not keep it fun but just make everything bta? As it is now, no one who needs the stuff from the event can afford to participate in the event.

I was just talking to some newbs about how the game is not newb friendly and why it isn't newb friendly. This event makes another good example.

For perspective, when i did it the first time i spent the first day just trying to figure it out. I happened to have about 300 gold on each of my 5 chars which lasted me 4 days. I had so much gold because i had just finished crafting enough gold for the next week. Then, after i ran out, i crafted gold for another day to let me do the event for the last day. All tolled i think i spent around 1875 gold during the event and got 7 coal wards, 12 mounts, 7 anvils, 3 blacksmiths (then i bought another 2 so each char would have one) and a bunch of wards (i didn't use any upgrading). That is a nice haul but it is a DROP IN A BUCKET compared to what 5 characters need to get egworthy.

7 Coal Wards is worth nearly 5million AD [or are they bound to account I dint do stuff like this event].

7 Coal Wards is really worth having to upgrade bondings from Rank 13 to 15 :)

But, if you are disappointed then the game has failed you. Sorry to hear this :)
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User

back then 7 coal wards was worth 3.5 ad and yes the ward are bta i still have 5 of them. To put that in perspective I could spend them all refining one weapon enchant or armor enchant part way up except those refines are very expensive and weapon/armor enchant prices fluctuate rapidly since most people just buy and sell to upgrade.

and i spent an awful lot of effort preparing... except the first time i was just lucky to be prepared. Even with a lot of effort i wasn't prepared. Any first timer to the event is unlikely to amount to anything the way it is now.

First timer will probably not do what you did because they probably will not have their profession ready to do anything. They will not prepare like you because well, they don't know about any preparation as a first timer.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • xenocide#6119 xenocide Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    It sounds like you did very well, 1875 gold is worth about 480k (less than the price of one coal ward). And you've managed to get 7 that's awesome.
    Keep an eye on the ah and pick up gold bars if they start to become cheap again and you will be able to make a killing the next time the event comes around. (And maybe even run it on some alts)
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I've been playing this event. I don't need anything and the drop rate is horrendous but I enjoy opening bags. lol. I had done some prep work had a couple thousand of each of the regents. I've made my way thru all of them I just bought 1000 more of each regent. (280k) holy HAMSTER I didn't realize gold was so expensive... gonna sell sell sell lol.

um but yeah the value isn't there for the cost. if you are silly rich it's no skin of any one's nose to open bags but frankly I don't understand why things are selling like they are. there is no value in this event. color me puzzled. it's been all mostly free from my perspective but things are expensive.. why I don't know. it should be nearly free with the values from the bags. Ive got one coal and I've probably opened 50 or 60 bags. 2 plain jane mounts and a couple of the worthless non forgehammer artis.

forgehammers are basically worthless now because the new plain jane white tool is nearly as powerful as the gond tool.

anddd I just realized I missed an important part of this event and feel pretty dumb now. but w/e I can afford the tiny loss I just incurred haha.

the Tl:DR this is a suckers event no doubt. probably the worst we have.

• raymonj#7331 raymonj Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Some people just didnt get that the materials are not only dropping. You can craft them in workshop for just some steel ingots and few others buyable at materials vendor. It's now easy to craft 200-300 "creations of wonder" packs each day of the event if you have enough gold or buy materials on AH for AD. Absolutely no balance.