test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Talking about your companions

blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
This is not another companion nerf thread. This is about repairing the companions that are ROCKS and boat anchors. I am going to make some comparisons, and hopefully gain insight to which companions are not broken by mod 16, and the ones that cannot hold up their end of the stick.

Also, it is about non-augments. Augments have no battle action, do not post "augments are better" as we all know they don't fight or take damage. This thread is about active companions only.

To begin, I will discuss my own, and then go through some in the catalog (control + J) in the game.

Renegade Illusionist
Phantom Bolt cast time 1.85s recharge 1s
Mirror Image cast time 1.85s recharge 8s
This means his fastest attack is almost 3 seconds and Mirror Image is done every 9.85s in battle and doesn't appear to do better.

Werewolf
Slash cast time 2.5s recharge 2.5s
Lycanthropy cast time 3s recharge 25s
Bloodthirst grants 10% Life Steal Chance for the 10s any enemy is infected by its Lycanthropy.
This one is slow to attack and the Bloodthirst doesn't happen near often enough to be worth it.

Makos
Fireball cast time 2s recharge 3s
Meteor Blast cast time 5.25s recharge 18s
Meteor Storm adds a few more meteors to Meteor Blast
Makos is slow casting both spells, the randomness of Meteor Blast makes him highly inaccurate.

Acolyte of Kelemvor
Kelemvor's Sword cast time 1s recharge 7s
Blessings of Kelemvor cast time 1s recharge 4s
Kelemvor's Retribution double the time Kelemvor's Sword heals you.
She is basically a rock now that they removed the Life Steal from Kelemvor's Sword granting Critical Avoidance instead.

Splinters (Halloween Broom)
Clean Sweep cast time 0.33s recharge 1s
Swept of Their Feet cast time 1s recharge 10s
Clean Slate cast time 1s recharge 15s
This companion for me is just a "show piece" and was not obtained for its skill. But it seems to have a pretty good quick attack with Clean Sweep. I currently keep this on a character I use for role-play.

Mecenary
Sly Flourish cast time 0s recharge 2s
Deft Strike cast time 0.85s recharge 20s
Sly Brutality adds bleed to the fourth hit of Flourish.
One of my better companions in my arsenal, the Sly Flourish is a nice swift attack while Deft Strike takes down the trash.

Tutor
Slash cast time 0.5s recharge 0s
Thrust cast time 0.6s recharge 0s
Class in Session cast req. team of 5 players, everyone gets +5% Combat Advantage
Instructional Aid summons a spirit sword to assist. (BROKEN please fix it as many players paid cash for this companion)
He fights rather well, however the summon sword is dazed 100% in battle and doen't leave until the battle ends.

Wandering Scarecrow
Claws cast time 1.33s recharge 2s
Horrid Gaze cast time 1s recharge 2s
Fearful Loathing reduces the time between stuns of Horrid Gaze from 25s down to 15s
I like the Scarecrow's look and the way it fights. I am glad they didn't break it, like they did the ones in Ravenloft.

Okay that are some of my active companions I will continue this later. While I am away, why don't you continue with your companions and tell us what features you like and hate about them. Don't form any assumptions about companions you don't own yourself.

Just killing time...

Comments

• Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,135 Arc User
    I use two of the ones you listed above (on two separate toons) and am quite happy with them. They seem to do fine but I try to use companions that compliment the style of fighting I do on each toon.

I have 23 toons and am mostly satisfied to really satisfied with the companions I settled on. It comes down to how you build them and all that. I also use ones that are fun RP/story wise. All of them have head canon stories on why I use them. It not always about numbers, for me anyway.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    @autumnwitch my tiefling rogue is a follower of Kelemvor and has the Acolyte of Kelemvor on him. Back in the day, I wanted a doomguide for him and numbers didn't matter. It was more for RP and less PvE. When Hiviticus got to the Dread Ring, I think it was about module 5, and I did Valindra's Tower and beat her. I told everyone in the guild at the time, that I beat the game. They disagree with me of course. I told them, Hiviticus continued to drag that big phylactery of hers, back to the doomguides, and dropped it off in the Neverdeath Graveyard for them to take care of it. The End.

Shortly after that module 6 dropped and nobody wanted to play. In June 2016, I came back to the game as my new character Dervish of Thay. He has the free Renegade Illusionist from the Arc launcher event... well all my characters do, but that is who he runs with. I purchased the Thayan robes and got him a farmer scythe from the summer fest to complete the look. His story is simple. He believes he is a great wizard and illusionist. But he is a delusionist, the illusionist, Thalos of House Hunosel, leads him on to think he is doing magic. He is actually barbarian class. I have him almost to level 80 in the Undermountain.

But neither of these characters use companions to be competitive. It is all just for fun. However many people I played with, and guild members too, have been absent from this game since the changes made from module 16. I believe getting these companions working again, would be a nice start, to bringing people back. I typically spend more time and money in Champions now.

Just killing time...
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    I use https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Stalwart_Golden_Lion_(previous), he is always late everywhere and no longer tanking, so probably useful just for boss fights (if you can keep him alive).

Combat wise, https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Intellect_Devourer_(previous) was performing really well for a green companion, but his damage dropped once levelled past the first level. Still, it has AoE daze that does work well.

https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Pig_(previous) ...is cute.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    rikitaki said:
    I have the Pig too. I don't know if this one still does massive damage with splashing mud or not? It is a control class, back when I first got him, it was nuking the enemies at green rank. It is on my barbarian but she uses the Honey Badger now and calls it an Ice Weasle because she never saw one before. When people told her it is called a honey badger, she looked at them puzzled and replies, "I have never seen it make honey, only thing it makes is yellow snow. I don't recommend you eat that snow.".

My companions are;
    Count Byron Zorg - Renegade Evoker rank 40 - Pillar of Flame 1.5s / 1.5s Fireball 2s / 9s

Prince Rurik - Skeleton rank 40 - Bludgeon 0.66s / 1.5s Bonemeal 3s / 8s

Vhex Ironcrown - Cambion Magus rank 40 - Staff Smash 0.75s / 2s Soul Scorch 1.9s / 8s

Phindar Zhuanth - Wayward Wizard rank 40 - Chilling Cloud 0.5s / 1s Slow 1.25s / 12s

"Wicked" Lady Kathrine - Sellsword rank 40 - Wicked Strike 0.7s / 2s

Stoffel - Honey Badger rank 40 - Ferocious Swipe 0.8s / 3s Rip and Tear 1s / 10s

Misery Venomcraft - Zhentarim Warlock rank 30 - Eldritch Blast 0s, 0.38s, 0.58s, 1s Hellfire Eruption 0.48s / 10s
    Note: Normally Nicholas runs with Morbius (Renegade Illusionist) but this warlock needs training.

Xuna - Xuna rank 40 - Stab 0.15s / 4s Bloodbath 0.3s / 18s

This is all the main companions I currently run with, I can dig up the stats for my bolster supporters.

But neither of these characters use companions to be competitive. It is all just for fun. However many people I played with, and guild members too, have been absent from this game since the changes made from module 16. I believe getting these companions working again, would be a nice start, to bringing people back. I typically spend more time and money in Champions now.

Off the topic: Yes, you know our circle of friends has diminished, when it is no longer a circle and becomes more like a square. :angry: Let's hope the new guy is the Miracle Max we have been waiting for to save us. <3 I remain optimistic the game can be recovered yet.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    blag001blag001 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    Mercenary
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User

I have the Pig too. I don't know if this one still does massive damage with splashing mud or not?

It is the same case as the Intellect devourer. On level one they have critical attack multiplier and are a force to be reckon with. If you level them up, they loose it - that means one third of their damage. (and level one companion is in a real combat mostly just dead, so not suited for anything outside the training dummies)

However, the little porky is brave! Charging in, diving from above - honestly, that little warrior is amazing. Intellect devourer is more practical though...