test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Have you guys partnered with Bungie or something?

I really don't appreciate the "Where's Waldo" theme that Bungie did with Destiny to find the new gear, that is why I am here. Not only that, playing Parkour with a character that can't really jump on things to get to an NPC that has all this new shiny, pretty stuff is located in an area that most characters cannot get to is dumb. This is a good concept, but not Neverwinter. This is not Halo level 50 jump contest, this is not Parkour in Minecraft, this is not Xur in Destiny 1(2), this is Neverwinter.

Comments

• Options
    arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    The jumping up isn't that hard. Even for tank classes. This is nothing compared to the jumping puzzle in Spinward Rise. They could easily have gone to the extreme that Guild Wars 2 go with their jumping puzzles. If rubber banding is getting in the way, try a less populated instance, or make the trip when less people on online. Nothing says you have to go up every time you have 300.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @meprise#3778 by any chance are you playing a halfling or dwarf? I don't bounce around like Tigger either, I don't do a lot of jumping in this game. However one of my big issues is the pinata effect that killing any enemy has in this game. A few times, not many, items will fall off cliffs into an abyss or they get stuck up on something very high. Personally I felt the better way would be to actually search the bodies, but I am an old school P&P player. I do understand this is an "arcade version" and players like to see the burst of goodies pop out.

As to the Where's Waldo on new gear, not sure I understand the analogy fully. I think you lost me on the Bungie reference? If you press CTRL+J it brings up the various items available to you from each campaign. When starting out, under level 70, I never recommend getting new gear until it is given to you. This game has a lot more types of currency than it really needs. If you are doing an area such as Cloak Tower at level 10, you would find "bounty" items on the ground that can be sold to the bounty store for gear.

Once you get to level 70, most people take either Barovia (Ravenloft) or Undermountain and get handed free gear from those campaigns. When you get to level 80 better gear can be purchased in the AH or earned in the campaign grind.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    groo#6243 groo Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Talking of Destiny, I have a char on destiny 1 (only level 25) and recently, someone pointed out that Destiny 2 had gone F2P, so I downloaded it to take a look. Some interesting things compared to Neverwinter (I know they are not the same game, these are more implementation comparisons).

Destiny 2 has completely done away with levelling and training up feats/powers. Basically, it would be like creating a brand new character in Neverwinter and them being a premade level 80 with fully trained powers and feats and a set of (say Undermountain) weapons/armour. Apparently, for Destiny 2 F2P, it got around issues of putting everyone on a level playing field and made for a smoother gear progression (or something along those lines). People often say Neverwinter is like two separate games, the levelling side and the post level 80 campaign grind side.

Personally, I prefer the levelling side. It gives me a sense that the character itself is improving, not just carrying a bigger sword than anyone else (hence I prefer levelling to end game grind). However, when you think about this game (in fact most mmo's), it tries to level you to cap asap and then when you do get to max level, you are pretty much useless again until you get better gear. On that front, it does actually make some sense just to get rid of the levelling side altogether.

The balance side of Destiny 2 seems much more, well, balanced. I'm talking more about players vs monsters here. In Neverwinter, you can become very OP at higher level/better gear which results in completely one shotting everything in lower areas with large amounts of damage to spare. This has lead to the dreaded scaling being introduced in joint content. I noticed in Destiny, even when you have much better gear (or are higher level in the first game), you aren't just an invincible god in lower level areas. Better gear does improve your character and you can fight in higher level areas, you just can't be arrogant going into lower levels. You can still die. It's like the improvement range is a narrower band.

I notice that character customisation in Destiny is very basic. I always thought it funny when Neverwinter introduced custom wigs into the Zen store. Currently, I think you have a pretty good range of character customisation in Neverwinter, what is the incentive to buy extra customisation in the Zen store?
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Getting up to Juma is not difficult at all. If you're having difficulty, search for an alternate path.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    There are many need of jumping in this game already.
    eLoL, Spinward, some intro quests (to get the title), River district portal quests, short cut of various places, reaching certain purple ball things, ...
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User

I think you lost me on the Bungie reference?

Bungie is a company which developed Destiny.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options

I think you lost me on the Bungie reference?

Bungie is a company which developed Destiny.
    I understood that part, I just never played Destiny. Back in 2005, I recall my sons playing Halo a lot. While I wasn't much of a fan myself, I did love the way the Unggoy ran away from you screaming, calling you a demon.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    "They're everywhere!"
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    blag001blag001 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    The new guy at Cryptic worked on GW2...
    And some changes he's doing on the game are alike things in GW2. The Parkour thing is an example, theres a lot of it in GW2.
  • Options
    I don't think he's been around long enough to make that much of an impact within the game yet.
  • Options
    blag001 said:

The new guy at Cryptic worked on GW2...
    And some changes he's doing on the game are alike things in GW2. The Parkour thing is an example, theres a lot of it in GW2.

Chris just started in December and went on vacation. His changes to this game won't show up for months. The only "jumping" I can really recall is the Lair of Lostmauth has that one spot, where fireballs shoot left and right over lava, and you have to jump across platforms to get to the lair. This lair was created back in 2014 and somehow I doubt he travel through time to get it in there.

I also remember a Foundry author asked me to test his creation and it had a helix of rocks I had to jump up to reach a pirate ship. I told him it might be possible from his perspective, but it made me quit at that point. I know some people like the jump puzzles, I prefer the mental puzzles.

I will state this, he wants to reduce the big module releases over time and release more small content in the hope it won't damage the game. Guild Wars 2 does huge modules (which they sell to the players) and they have as much as 1 or 2 years between releases. They get new content every few weeks but it is small content. In that sense, I am for him making these changes. This should give them time to fix more bugs too.

wb-cenders.gif