test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Auction House

jim10morrisonjim10morrison Member Posts: 19 Arc User
[12:28] [Error] Unable to post your items for sale. Items placed back into your inventory

[12:28] [Error] Unable to post your items for sale. Items placed back into your inventory

[12:29] [Error] Unable to post your items for sale. Items placed back into your inventory

[12:29] [Error] Unable to post your items for sale. Items placed back into your inventory

I mean... it's time to fix it for good, don't you think?

Comments

• Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I think the AH is linked to the chat and mail system, which is also on the blink, if I am not mistaken.

A developer can feel free to correct me on this, but they should ALL be hard at work this weekend fixing the game! Because they don't need to take their children to the zoo. We need this game fixed that we spend hours and hours playing and ignoring our families. So I better see results soon or heads will roll!

ok rant done. <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    +1

Something important and to most players essential is broken and needs to be fixed, hopefully as soon as possible since the Auction House, Chat and Mail (if they are indeed connected) are usually things just about every player's relies on in Neverwinter.

I have been able to post things in the AH, but usually that necessitates 4-5 failed tries before being able to post different items.
    DD~
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    Nothing much bugs me about the game but this really annoys me when it happens. The issue has been around for a very long time. Cmon fix it already.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    That looks like a lock busy issue and not exactly a bug. When the database is busy and it cannot lock a table or record in the defined timeout value, it will return error. This can't be "fixed" besides getting faster database output such as better hardware. That can be workaround by doing silence retries but if it is indeed super busy, this workaround can have negative effect. Whatever 'fix' or re-design is just lower the chance of the issue. They may tune it better but it will come back in another situation. This basically is a resource issue. To really fix it, increase the resource.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It would be nice if it didn't just dump the player's input. You can copy the price before you submit and paste it back if it fails. But it still a pain and generally not worth doing until after the first failed attempt.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

That looks like a lock busy issue and not exactly a bug. When the database is busy and it cannot lock a table or record in the defined timeout value, it will return error. This can't be "fixed" besides getting faster database output such as better hardware. That can be workaround by doing silence retries but if it is indeed super busy, this workaround can have negative effect. Whatever 'fix' or re-design is just lower the chance of the issue. They may tune it better but it will come back in another situation. This basically is a resource issue. To really fix it, increase the resource.

Are you telling me, everyone is so busy buying and selling in the AH, the database is having an issue with all the requests? I am going to go out on a limb and offer some conjecture. Assuming the mail, chat, and AH are using the same database tables, could it be poorly designed and they should just rework the database? I recall some games had issues, early on, where users could duplicate items, by exploiting the badly designed database. I fully understand the need to lock it when transferring goods to be bought and sold.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited January 2020

Are you telling me, everyone is so busy buying and selling in the AH, the database is having an issue with all the requests? I am going to go out on a limb and offer some conjecture. Assuming the mail, chat, and AH are using the same database tables, could it be poorly designed and they should just rework the database? I recall some games had issues, early on, where users could duplicate items, by exploiting the badly designed database. I fully understand the need to lock it when transferring goods to be bought and sold.
    Mail, chat can be done in batch mode. i.e. they can wait. Mail and chat may not even need to get a critical lock.
    Mail can be sent in a suspended mode (do it when the system is not busy) and even if it fails, it can just return the mail to sender. Mail does not need to deliver right the way.
    Chat is an append mode and it should not even need a lock and it may not even in the database. Too expensive to be a database operation. It is properly implemented as a pipe or flat file.

AH with an interactive interface needs to return within a deterministic time regardless if it is a failure or success. Otherwise, the game will appear to be like hanging.

For example, the system can handle 200 AH transaction per second and the deterministic time out is 2 seconds.
    In that particular second, 500 transactions coming in at the same time.
    In the first second, 200 transactions were processed without problem.
    In the 2nd second, another 200 pending transactions were processed and it will appear to be no problem except the extra second wait. However, the last 100 pending transactions will get lock busy and fail.

One may say, okay, make the deterministic time out to be 3 seconds. Yes, that will solve the above situation.
    Then, what if there are 700 transaction coming in at that one second? The lock busy will appear in 100 transactions of that 700 transactions.

In addition, AH transactions are not equal weight. It can be posting, buying, biding, reading/searching (unless this is done as dirty read).
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    Seems to be fixed (for me at least) Thank You
    DD~