test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why TOMM was a complete failure IMO

mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
Recommended (fail more if not have this)
Armored griffon
Swarm
Maxed Barksheild for dps

Annihilate (BIS only)
Deals ~1,000,000 damage to the current target

Disintegration Wave
It deals ~1,600,000m damage.

Creeping Ice
deals 152,625 damage per second to players on the ice
(non BIS dps dead in 2 seconds)

Firebomb Explosion

Choice between 1 player taking 1,600,000-1,700,000 damageOR
~1,200,000 Area of Effect damage and deal ~620,000 damage per second over 10 seconds.

Heatwave
Fire damage over time: Deals ~223,850 damage per second over 10s.

Searing Chain

This ability will chain 2 players together, it deals ~200,000 damage per second, it breaks if the chained players run away from each other.

The above is some of the FEATURES of tower of the mad mage. It should rather be called 1% only welcome

These mechanics is why most players abandoned this game . It is laughable to just make an entire mod for BIS only players. Most non BIS players will not be able to finish mod 17 for the next 2 years.Just like a large amount of player base have still not completed the Ravenloft Campaign(I love Castle Ravenloft but too hard for lower geared players we need a scaling system for dungeons so all can do all dungeons/trials)
There are more than BIS players in this game
RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

Comments

• Options
    oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    How about you link the guide that you are quoting and show us exactly where the lines *Recommended (fail more if not have this)* , *Annihilate (BIS only)* and *(non BIS dps dead in 2 seconds)* multiple times can be found. We can completely ignore all those other words in there that detail exactly how to deal with all of those *features* because clearly that isn't relevant information.
  • Options
    carloswartune#5709 carloswartune Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    All these damage values are before mitigation. Defense alone will reduce them by half. It is an endgame trial, a 500k hit (1st annihilate) isn't much to ask to an endgame tank. And if a "non-BIS DPS" is "smart" enough to stay above Creeping Ice or keeping Searing Chains on for more than 4 seconds, they should die. The hardest thing about the trial is not the stat caps needed to survive in it, but finding a group where you can practice enough and learn the mechanics. Disintegration Wave won't deal any damage to you if you do the mechanic right.

M16 and M17 made FBI, ToNG, CoDG, Castle Ravenloft extremely easier than they were before. In fact, after mod 16, new DPS players in my guild could enter LoMM (the end game dungeon for that mod) after just 2 months playing. I needed to play for about 3 months to just have a chance for ToNG in M15, and it wasn't even the end-game dungeon at that time: CR was.

They apparently can't release more than one dungeon or trial per mod, and all these hard dungeons were nerfed and became easier to accommodate lower geared players. I wouldn't say that dedicating a *single, one-room trial* to end-game players is "laughable" or unfair. The real problem, IMO, is the lack of group content placed between LoMM and ToMM, leaving a lot of players for who LoMM is too easy and ToMM is too hard. Hopefully this problem is solved by future updates.
  • Options
    nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    I would have to disagree with @mynamm that ToMM is for the 1%.

We completed an Alliance ToMM more than a month ago and many are far from BiS. We practice together every weekend since ToMM release on live and have discussions about how to further improve on our mistakes/failures. The key is communication and understanding of every mechanics, stats allocations, and the role of each party members.

Now we are able to successfully run ToMMs most of the time and able to at least carry/train more members.

It just take practice, dedication and more practice.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    oldtimer#7525 oldtimer Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Can i be your friend Moonmish? :>

As one of those people that have pretty much quit the game at this point i can safely say that it wasn't because of ToMM, in fact farming enough AD and figuring out how to get both of my characters sufficiently geared to not be liability in there was the only reason i stuck around for as long as i have.

People have been quitting in droves for years because the game caters to babies, not because the one piece of real group content currently available is *too hard* - there are plenty of mediocre end game players that quit after the rude awakening of not being anywhere near good enough to run ToMM ( even LoMM for some ) and there are even more mediocre end game players that cheese it with the totally working as intended artifact and farm it on a daily basis.

I myself came back in Mod 16 and started fresh with the promise of the game finally reintroducing some difficulty in PvE, only to be severely disappointed and having no incentive to continue playing within 2 months of brain afking through LoMM with Rank 8 enchantments.

Some day, some day hopefully very soon, whining until you get the content nerfed into the ground will stop being an effective tactic.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    That response to Ops post belongs in Neverwinter threads hall of fame +1000
  • Options
    aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Dragonflight dragon deals 5 million damage...

Damage mitigation being more important then heals was definitely a mistake though.

The most difficult thing is finding 9 players to run the trial with successfully or at least have an enjoyable time without being able to finish it yet. I'd love to see an endgame _dungeon_ (in other words content for a party of 5 players) that's very, very challenging and engaging.
  • Options
    aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User

ToMM had more positive impact in the game than negative. That is a fact. We are in the doors of mod 18 and players are run mod 17 content all the day. You cant say the same for the last 15 mods.

We ran CoDG all day in Mod 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16.

Demo since Mod 8 or so.

Trials having decent rewards is nothing new.
  • Options
    duckie#5377 duckie Member Posts: 42 Arc User

ToMM had more positive impact in the game than negative. That is a fact. We are in the doors of mod 18 and players are run mod 17 content all the day. You cant say the same for the last 15 mods.

Even if lots of players cant run / finish it, is a goal to keep playing and improving their characters to beat it. You feel very good each time you beat it, even if you did that lots of times.

And if you cant run it now, dont worry, even if you do it on mod 19, is a great content and very fun to play, not everything should be done for all the players in the first week.

I feel bad for you and all the players that want all the content to be doable with any rank 8 / 20K Item level characters. You dont understand how to keep players interested in a game. There are lots of casual games there, and you can play NW as casual too, but then you wont run all the content and that is fine.

• Options
    duckie#5377 duckie Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    The rose tinted view of a person who plays wizard and Pally - the problem with TOMM is the exclusion of classes who are not either a wizard or pally. Never before has a trial BIS group composition been focused primarily on 2 classes. Hell a lot of the people in my alliance these days struggle to grasp the mechanics of regular dungeons because a lot friends we played with have quit disillusioned with the way the game and mechanics have gone.
  • Options
    gonzakotwigonzakotwi Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    The problem is not the damage it may deal or any hard mechanic that eventually will be learned by practice. The most important issue is that due to the current balance only a few classes/setups are allowed to do it. A dc/sw/barb/gf dps just wont be allowed (except it has 300k power, or a normal one getting carried bc hes a friend of the group). One healer role has to be a pally healer, leaving the other 2 healer classes fighting for the other slot (sure could be done with 2 if all the group has +450hp)
    That leaves ppl like my warlock able to fulfill only 1 slot and begging to be included in a party for getting a HAMSTERY bugged weapon set. So what do i do? I pass on that HAMSTER and stay with my watchers because im not welcome there
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    ToNG came out in mod 12 and CoDG in mod 13. When they first came out, they required highly coordinated group(s) of well-geared players. As a solo guild-less player, I did not even bother trying. It was not until well into mod 14 that the power creep allowed ToNG and CoDG to be reasonably pug-able. Maybe it will be the same for ToMM.

The iLvl requirement is pretty steep for guild-less or small-guild players. Right now I would have to spend hundreds to buy BiS to make up for the missing guild boons just to get in ToMM.
  • Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    mynaam said:

Recommended (fail more if not have this)
    Armored griffon
    Swarm
    Maxed Barksheild for dps

Annihilate (BIS only)
    Deals ~1,000,000 damage to the current target

Disintegration Wave
    It deals ~1,600,000m damage.

Creeping Ice
    deals 152,625 damage per second to players on the ice

Firebomb Explosion

Choice between 1 player taking 1,600,000-1,700,000 damageOR
    ~1,200,000 Area of Effect damage and deal ~620,000 damage per second over 10 seconds.

Heatwave
    Fire damage over time: Deals ~223,850 damage per second over 10s.

Searing Chain

This ability will chain 2 players together, it deals ~200,000 damage per second, it breaks if the chained players run away from each other.

The above is some of the FEATURES of tower of the mad mage. It should rather be called 1% only welcome

These mechanics is why most players abandoned this game . It is laughable to just make an entire mod for BIS only players. Most non BIS players will not be able to finish mod 17 for the next 2 years.Just like a large amount of player base have still not completed the Ravenloft Campaign(I love Castle Ravenloft but too hard for lower geared players we need a scaling system for dungeons so all can do all dungeons/trials)

yeah, why the HAMSTER should there be a dungeon/trial for endgame players. Makes no sense to me. I just hope they make another Mod 15, i had so much fun playing the aquisition campaign and leveling up new chars.
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    We agree that some classes need love.

That said, the classes not wanted in dungeons is not ToMM exclusive. That is since mod 0 when you needed concrete classes yo beat CN. No Matter what the Dungeon is, people invite the class of the mod.

I did ToMM with players of all classes. Skilled players allways do a good job. Even if we get 98% balance people Will invite the classes that are best.

ToMM is nice because skill matters a lot. In mods 3-15 every Dungeon was a joke and no skill was involved so people invited best buffers and a gwf.

A lot of classes and paths were discriminated. More than now.
    Post edited by darthpotater on
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    sobi#1980 sobi Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    Why can't i just at will everything to death? Why do i even need AWSD keys to move around to dodge mechanics? Why do they make games so difficult when life is already difficult? I just don't get it.....
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    sobi#1980 said:

Why can't i just at will everything to death? Why do i even need AWSD keys to move around to dodge mechanics? Why do they make games so difficult when life is already difficult? I just don't get it.....

That is still way too much work. I want to be a WMD. I hit a button and clear the dungeon for me.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

sobi#1980 said:

That is still way too much work. I want to be a WMD. I hit a button and clear the dungeon for me.
    Mod 20 new class confirmed right here!!
  • Options
    honghua#7152 honghua Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Something is failure because its too hard? There are apparently people who are able to finish it, and you have no proof of your statement either.
  • Options
    mongol69mongol69 Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Honestly the game needs more content like tomm. Keep using the same formula of simple mechanics of dungeons as is for casual players. But, make more skirmishes that require using more mechanics, coordination, and some layer of skill and complexity. This along with classes getting some resemblance of balance would make for better gameplay imho.

Otherwise skirmishes just become yet more fast mindless 10 man dungeon variants like the "new and improved" codg. Push buttons watch mobs die, aoe just sit there since it doesn't even matter anymore, no tank or heals no problem, push pull/ledges meh just wait for pickup if you can't manage to walk around and not fall off...well done, now open chest. What a sense of accomplishment, just need to give everyone a title and trophy to top it off.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    mongol69 said:

Honestly the game needs more content like tomm. Keep using the same formula of simple mechanics of dungeons as is for casual players. But, make more skirmishes that require using more mechanics, coordination, and some layer of skill and complexity. This along with classes getting some resemblance of balance would make for better gameplay imho.

Otherwise skirmishes just become yet more fast mindless 10 man dungeon variants like the "new and improved" codg. Push buttons watch mobs die, aoe just sit there since it doesn't even matter anymore, no tank or heals no problem, push pull/ledges meh just wait for pickup if you can't manage to walk around and not fall off...well done, now open chest. What a sense of accomplishment, just need to give everyone a title and trophy to top it off.

I would have argued against this a while back.

But its actually spot on. Very right.

I enjoy Svardborg these days, takes a bit of co-ordination but its really not that hard.

Working out the mechanics in Valindra's Tower was fun. And Also the end boss in Malabog's Castle. Learning to stay out of the red [pretty simple really].

SO yes make the boss mobs challenging, but give players a reasonable amount of time to react is my answer.