test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why are these locked?

dingoballzdingoballz Member Posts: 148 Arc User
I have 70+ tomes of EP that have been locked since mod 15 dropped why? I also have a demonic tome from a Gauntlgrym box that has a lock on it ,why?
"What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    some consumables just can't be used at levels higher than 70
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    That makes no sense. I received these as rewards so why shouldn't I be able to use them on the toon that receives them?
    "What is the sense of living the life you're given if all you ever do is stand in one place?" Lord Huron
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited September 2019

That makes no sense. I received these as rewards so why shouldn't I be able to use them on the toon that receives them?

You received that before level 80 was introduced. I have about 50 stacks. I am waiting for them to change that but I seriously doubt it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    You can use them. On any toon that's lower than level 70.

This is like arguing why you can't use certain potions that clearly state a level cap on them.
  • Options

You can use them. On any toon that's lower than level 70.

This is like arguing why you can't use certain potions that clearly state a level cap on them.

Huh? With potion or any other "consumables" you can advance to the proper level. With these how do you remove levels so you can use them ? Also not everyone has a toon below 70 or have the desire to grind thru all the boring quests to level a new toon just so they can use these things.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    The point was they are only intended to help level players up to level 70. You can go with a few different thoughts here.

1 - they forgot these even exist and didn't upgrade them to get you to level 70
    2 - they intentionally only wanted them to be used to get you to level 70. the new level 80 cap was "recent" so they may be thinking they want you to grind those 10 levels instead of using tomes.
    3 - they intend to add higher level tomes at a later date
    4 - they never intend to add higher level tomes since they're tired of people using tomes to speed level their way to level cap

Who knows what the real reasoning is. I've got tons of them myself but honestly don't care about them. Takes no time at all to go from level 70-80 with some azures & xp boon on.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The closer analogy to compare is injury kit. Unlike potion, higher character level cannot use low level injury kit.
    For me, the value of those XP tomes is not for leveling. The value of those XP tomes is for XP rewards during 2xXP.
    I would not "waste" them for normal leveling.

Anyway, I consider it was on me for not spending them when I could.
    As I said, I have about 50 stacks (about 5000).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

The point was they are only intended to help level players up to level 70. You can go with a few different thoughts here.

1 - they forgot these even exist and didn't upgrade them to get you to level 70
    2 - they intentionally only wanted them to be used to get you to level 70. the new level 80 cap was "recent" so they may be thinking they want you to grind those 10 levels instead of using tomes.
    3 - they intend to add higher level tomes at a later date
    4 - they never intend to add higher level tomes since they're tired of people using tomes to speed level their way to level cap

Who knows what the real reasoning is. I've got tons of them myself but honestly don't care about them. Takes no time at all to go from level 70-80 with some azures & xp boon on.

2 and possibly 3 are good assumptions. They don't want people using the tomes to get from 70 to 80, at least not yet. I know they did not forget about them, as they were reminded multiple times during the alpha testing of m16. They didn't spend months working on content just for people to not do it.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Yet they still leave the ability to just invoke your way from level 70 to level 80. So you could still not play the content and still get to level 80. Most of my alts I just did the weekly AD quests in Dread Ring and Sharandar to get from level 70 to level 80 and that only took 4 times through it to get there, with invoking.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Yet they still leave the ability to just invoke your way from level 70 to level 80. So you could still not play the content and still get to level 80. Most of my alts I just did the weekly AD quests in Dread Ring and Sharandar to get from level 70 to level 80 and that only took 4 times through it to get there, with invoking.

He mean you can't use the tome to bring level 70 to 80 in 1 minute.
    My alt took < 10 days from level 70 to 80 for doing nothing besides invocation.
  • Options
    skrewfaz3d#1482 skrewfaz3d Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Tomes don't drop anymore. Outdated item. You're lucky they still exist at all..

Maybe if they still dropped, you'd have a case but nah.
  • Options
    rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    You can still use them between 1 and 70 (if is account bound and you start a new toon) plus you get some bons between 70 and 80 so why not run it ?

i belive the biggest reason they dont allowed those tomes to work 70-80 is to avoid people to jump that gaap in seconds when mod 16 was released (yet some people saved a lot of xp prizes from quests and did it anyway)...