test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft to require loot box odds disclosure

Well, I wonder how this will affect NW. Thanks to Rainer we know the odds approximately but will be interesting to see what the actual odds are.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-07-nintendo-sony-microsoft-to-require-loot-box-odds-disclosure
Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts

Comments

• Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

Well, I wonder how this will affect NW. Thanks to Rainer we know the odds approximately but will be interesting to see what the actual odds are.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-07-nintendo-sony-microsoft-to-require-loot-box-odds-disclosure

I would expect Neverwinter, but perhaps not all Cryptic games, to follow suit. Wizards of the Coast is backing it and with Cryptic doing another game for WoTC, WoTC will not want to be seen as not backing up their support for the change or allowing their liscensees to do so. But of course, it depends on the contracts.

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Read the article carefully please. It is for future titles and after a specific date in 2020. Current titles on the consoles are not required to report this information. This would include ESO, NWO, etc... those games would be grandfathered to be exclude from sharing this info.

Depending on when Cryptic is able to launch Magic the Gather and if it hits consoles they would than be required to report this info if the game releases after the date required to report loot boxes.

IMO all companies that have any form of a lootbox should release their info.

IMO governments should outlaw lootboxes if the game is not mature as lootboxes are a form of gambling and anyone under the age of 18 in the US is not allowed to gamble making all lootboxes illegal when a child opens them.
  • Options
    thegrimner#3435 thegrimner Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    ^ This.

I still stand by my opinion that Cryptic would be smart in divulging their lootdrops and enforcing a lot more transparency in light of their recent avalanche of blunders, but this will not technically affect them in the slightest. Sadly.
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

Read the article carefully please. It is for future titles and after a specific date in 2020. Current titles on the consoles are not required to report this information. This would include ESO, NWO, etc... those games would be grandfathered to be exclude from sharing this info.

Depending on when Cryptic is able to launch Magic the Gather and if it hits consoles they would than be required to report this info if the game releases after the date required to report loot boxes.

IMO all companies that have any form of a lootbox should release their info.

IMO governments should outlaw lootboxes if the game is not mature as lootboxes are a form of gambling and anyone under the age of 18 in the US is not allowed to gamble making all lootboxes illegal when a child opens them.

I did read it carefully and I would disagree. Since they change the box and the name with each mod. They should fall under the clause of "introducing a new loot box" to the game. If it has a new name and new items, it's a new box.
  • Options
    chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    But...but...they are "Suprise Mechanics"
  • Options
    sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    chimerax said:

still a form of gambling
  • Options
    chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User

chimerax said:

still a form of gambling
    I know, was just quoting the attorney for EA on how they aren't
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    didn't they pull the game out of china rather than disclose that?
  • Options
    sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    chimerax said:

still a form of gambling
    chimerax said:

chimerax said:

still a form of gambling
    I know, was just quoting the attorney for EA on how they aren't
    lol whtever you do dont get that att. then lamo
    i aint no att. an evn i kno for it to be "suprise mech" .... u cant kno wht ur gettin AT ALL an the fact that they list all possible options in the box is gamble not suprise

• Options
    Loot boxes and how most companies manage them in their game are not appropriate for kids, even teenagers. The design of most loot box prey on the people addictive behaviors and causes us to spend more than we may have if no such product existed. The design of loot boxes is unethical by any business standard.

Any business wishing to be a good business would not prey on the feeble minded consumer but instead build trust and create a product that is worth having. Loot boxes are the complete opposite and the unethical behavior by organizations that use them is prevailing in today's gaming world simply do to the fact it is a quick and easy way to make money.

I don't see an issue with the boxes themselves if the box contains a digital item of value equal to the cost of the box. The issue is that companies design their game and box to entice players with addictive behavior to spend more than they would on a standard game do to the ultra rare award in the loot box and that is where an organization has crossed an ethical line.

Having a ultra rare award isn't unethical but designing the game to clearly show off who got the award and making it so that you can't escape the notification or designing sales around specific players, that is when an organization crosses that ethical line willingly and knowingly than they should be held accountable in a court for creating such a product and using marketing to prey on their consumers.

For NWO the boxes awards we get are fine for their cost overall. I have no issues with what we are given. The issues from what I have heard is that Cryptic has targeted specific customers and used their loot boxes award to unethically generate revenue. The way the loot box is designed in its current state shows that the company at one point made unethical choice to target players with addictive behavior. Mod 17 should change that and hopefully players take the time and adjust how loot box awards are displayed can reduce their addictive habit within NWO by spending less money as they won't be as enticed to buy more keys.

I also noticed that with each new LB the awards are getting better and better to ensure we as players are getting awards that are closer to the $1.25 per a key as in game items value decrease over time. That along with the adjustment to displaying the awards that others get from the box I believe Cryptic is doing what they feel will ensure that their game survives if any legal action is taken against companies that use LB.

I like how ESO does. I never see anyone get anything just what I get. And all items are cosmetic; they are not needed to enjoy the game. Yeah the items that are cosmetic maybe ultra rate but they are just a style for a mount and not an item that will boost your character stats.

I hope cryptic realizes that without having a legendary mounts in zen market they are hurting their cause with the loot box in a legal battle. If they add legendary mounts to the zen market than the legendary mounts in the loot box can be setup more for cosmetics than say an actual improvement to the character.

To fix the issue that currently exist with the loot boxes Cryptic should place the following into the zen market, legendary mount and make sure that each of the mounts in the zen market has similar combat and equipped powers to the mounts in the loot box. That would ensure protection of their LB model as the mounts would be more for cosmetic purposes.

Even with all of that said Loot boxes need to go and whatever a company is putting into them should be instead going to their store.

• Options
    thegrimner#3435 thegrimner Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    Again, fully agreed with the above post, I'd just add to it the fact that legendary mounts and insignias are particularly egregious in the sense that Cryptic essntially sells game advantages gatewalled behind a slot machine mechanic.

Sure, they can *technically* be purchased directly via the AH and you can *technically* earn the currency to purchase them in game, but even notwitstanding just how ludcricous the cost is in either time and/or money, fact remains, at present, in order for those items to be aquired, *someone* has to invariably gamble.
  • Options

Again, fully agreed with the above post, I'd just add to it the fact that legendary mounts and insignias are particularly egregious in the sense that Cryptic essntially sells game advantages gatewalled behind a slot machine mechanic.

Sure, they can *technically* be purchased directly via the AH and you can *technically* earn the currency to purchase them in game, but even notwitstanding just how ludcricous the cost is in either time and/or money, fact remains, at present, in order for those items to be aquired, *someone* has to invariably gamble.

I rather the offer the same mount stats through the store with very unique styles in the LB. From that perspective the content in the LB wouldn't be a gamble other than for a style item which isn't as bad as placing an item that provides a nice bonus that is only available through a LB.

I'm sure if the devs put mounts with the same bonus but boring style into the PSN/XBox/PWE stores (not zen market) and made them available they would sell them. Especially if the mounts are account bound. I believe $75 per a mount is reasonable. This way it would be a cash only sale and not something that can be acquired by hoarding AD. This would ensure that Cryptic/PWE gets revenue off each legendary mount sale. Than the unique style mount can be had through a LB.

I'm all for that as it wouldn't be like you need 1K+ worth of keys on average to get a legendary mount.

A great example of this is the dragonborn; they have the standard one for sale and it is a nice package for sale through the PSN. There is also a legendary one but the difference is that the legendary one gets extra HP which isn't as valuable as it use to be given the changes to the game in mod 16. Using that as an example, Cryptic should start selling legendary mounts.