test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ideas for a Novel

I'm writing up a novel about one of my characters, who is a Rogue Assassin while retaining to the lore. One idea I've researched involves the Spellplague. I know that it began around 1385 DR, so I'm asking when it actually ended. Is it 1480 DR when it ended? Please let me know if there's something I can access retaining to the lore and timeline for Dungeons and Dragons.

Comments

• Options
    kinamara#3934 kinamara Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Well as for the lore it gets pretty deep, but as for the event of the spell plague itself it simply happened 1385 DR when Mystra was assassinated by Cyric and Shar and the effects lingered on for some time

By 1395 DR, the majority of the effects of the Spellplague had come to an end and most arcane magic had returned to a semblance of normality, with a handful of major changes to the way spells are cast.[5] The Empire of Netheril came across the Lost Vale and displaced the saurials there into the Underdark.[59]

By 1479 DR, areas of Toril still affected by the Spellplague were referred to as Plaguelands.[60]

By 1480 DR, the Spellplague had ended with the event known as Mystra's Return. The Weave was resurrected with the goddess and magic became what it was before the Spellplague, though some areas with lingering effects from it remained.[61]

In 1482 DR Lord Ao began the Second Sundering, as a way to restore the worlds of Toril and Abeir of the ravages of the Spellplague.[62]

As for timeline and lore if you want more there is a forgotten realms wiki with plenty of information I will pm you a link.
  • Options
    timthegreat89#2061 timthegreat89 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Alright, thanks for that.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    This wiki is the most helpful: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

I wrote a novel back in 1987, never published, but I was trying to publishing house to pick it up. Today's method of using Amazon is much better. People can download your novel or get a hard copy which makes things a lot more simple than it was 30 years ago.

Best wishes! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options

This wiki is the most helpful: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

I wrote a novel back in 1987, never published, but I was trying to publishing house to pick it up. Today's method of using Amazon is much better. People can download your novel or get a hard copy which makes things a lot more simple than it was 30 years ago.

Best wishes! <3</p>

Just keep in mind that if you are looking to publish for profit, you can not use any copyrighted material (which neverwinter and other forgotten realms stuff is) :)
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User

I'm writing up a novel about one of my characters, who is a Rogue Assassin while retaining to the lore. One idea I've researched involves the Spellplague. I know that it began around 1385 DR, so I'm asking when it actually ended. Is it 1480 DR when it ended? Please let me know if there's something I can access retaining to the lore and timeline for Dungeons and Dragons.

I salute this. Go forward. I was recently rereading Dragonlance chronicles.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    > @kinamara#3934 said:
    > This wiki is the most helpful: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page
    >
    > I wrote a novel back in 1987, never published, but I was trying to publishing house to pick it up. Today's method of using Amazon is much better. People can download your novel or get a hard copy which makes things a lot more simple than it was 30 years ago.
    >
    > Best wishes! <3</blockquote>
    >
    > Just keep in mind that if you are looking to publish for profit, you can not use any copyrighted material (which neverwinter and other forgotten realms stuff is) :)

So, stuff like honorable mentions like Drizzt Do'Urden and Minsc & Boo, I can't use those?
  • Options

> @kinamara#3934 said:

> This wiki is the most helpful: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Page

>

> I wrote a novel back in 1987, never published, but I was trying to publishing house to pick it up. Today's method of using Amazon is much better. People can download your novel or get a hard copy which makes things a lot more simple than it was 30 years ago.

>

> Best wishes! <3

>

> Just keep in mind that if you are looking to publish for profit, you can not use any copyrighted material (which neverwinter and other forgotten realms stuff is) :)

So, stuff like honorable mentions like Drizzt Do'Urden and Minsc & Boo, I can't use those?

Well if you want to get it published to make money you could definately get in trouble, Unless Wizards of the Coast gives you the ok or you go through them (if they are even doing novels anymore)
  • Options

> @kinamara#3934 said:

>

>

> Best wishes! <3

>

Well if you want to get it published to make money you could definately get in trouble, Unless Wizards of the Coast gives you the ok or you go through them (if they are even doing novels anymore)
    I'll keep that in mind, thanks. And I still hope they're doing novels.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

Best wishes! <3</p>

Just keep in mind that if you are looking to publish for profit, you can not use any copyrighted material (which neverwinter and other forgotten realms stuff is) :)
    A great deal of copyright can normally be dealt with a simple letter to the holder. All you need is their written permission. If you are talking about adding elements (e.g. tieflings, cities by name, realms, characters, etc..) specific to D&D then you must make a list and ask Wizards of the Coast for permission to use them in your book. This doesn't mean they will ask for money, they may just want to review the work, then again they could be jerks and tell you no. What WoC doesn't own is elves, dwarves, demons, vampires, and other generic creatures also mentioned in mythology and folk lore. The more you make up on your own, the less you have to ask WoC for permission to include. Also you only need to ask Cryptic Studios should you mention any characters they personally created. For example; Makos is their property, they created him for the game.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options

Best wishes! <3</p>

A great deal of copyright can normally be dealt with a simple letter to the holder. All you need is their written permission. If you are talking about adding elements (e.g. tieflings, cities by name, realms, characters, etc..) specific to D&D then you must make a list and ask Wizards of the Coast for permission to use them in your book. This doesn't mean they will ask for money, they may just want to review the work, then again they could be jerks and tell you no. What WoC doesn't own is elves, dwarves, demons, vampires, and other generic creatures also mentioned in mythology and folk lore. The more you make up on your own, the less you have to ask WoC for permission to include. Also you only need to ask Cryptic Studios should you mention any characters they personally created. For example; Makos is their property, they created him for the game.
    Well, I hope WoC will allow me permission. As for Cryptic Studios, one step at a time. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    edited May 2019

The joys of playing in someone else's sandbox.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.