test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fireball not applying smolder

gonzothegreat198gonzothegreat198 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
Bug ID #: 4862176

When fighting multiple mobs as a Wizard, Fireball is not applying Smolder to any of the targets hit as per the tooltip. Attempted this on multiple groups of mobs and it is not being applied, even on the initial target hit.

Comments

• Options
    deaddregerdeaddreger Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Oh heck, as CW you really can't control or really do much DPS. Skills that should apply smolder or any DOT don't really. CW went from being a great party member in mod 14 to ok.good in mod 15, to totally nerfed/bugged in mod 16. I also seen a drop in DPS at each of the patches since mod 16, as well as the I thought the Chult tiger would be at least good to help with DPS as a CW to now that tiger simply does next to no DPS and dies constantly while in preview I was amazed at how great and long lasting in fights it would be.

Basically, it feels like they do not like CWs doing good and even when you feel like CWs are over nerfed a patch happens and we're nerfed even more. We're no longer good at AOE, DOT, or any sort of crowd control. I guess that's what they wanted, just a class that is completely sub-par to all others.

Well, my main/primary character is a CW and it's what I used to enjoy. Now that summertime is just about here I might as well just give up and enjoy the weather outside instead of keeping up with a horrible hot mess of a bugged character that keeps getting nerfed more when you think it couldn't. Thanks mod 16 for kicking us CWs back out into the real world and less into a game that seems to dislike us.
    WAI - Neverwinter fools!!!!!!
  • Options
    sakkara#1578 sakkara Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I thought it was me. I'm done with being last in damage of a party of 5. Doing 1,300,000 when everyone else is doing 5000000 is silly. WFHamster? You took a class that was fun to play and reduced it to the laughingstock of the gaming world. Why?
  • Options
    sakkara#1578 sakkara Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    PS Even the healer did more damage on my last run.
  • Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Switch to Arcanist. It's better at everything except for long-distance AoE.
    Make sure you take Arcane & Spell Storm passives.
    For feats... I would avoid Iced Lightning but recommend taking the CHill feat.

For skills (variants are fine but this is a good baseline)
    Master: Disintegrate
    skill#1: Icy Terrain (your number 1 heavy hitting skill)
    skill#2: Steal Time (switch it to Repel for bosses)
    skill#3: Engangling Force (good allround utility & procs)

atwill #1: Storm Pillar (spam the HAMSTER out of this when there are 3 or more enemies in a group)
    atwill #2: Ray of Frost (the rest of the time during cool downs) RoF (with +40 magnitude per chill) hits hard

Daily: Arcane Empowerment + Ice Knife

Artifact: Boon of Atropal is great for boosting your at-wills
    Weapon Enchantment: Use Vorpal, Lightning, or Bronzewood
    Special Buffs: Use Adorable Pocket Pet or Chain of scales item, Tenebrous Enchantments + Energon & Zhentarim Warlock for HP (if they fix tenebrous - its broken now), damage causing consumables.
    Companion: Use an augment
    Head: any
    Armor: any
    Gloves: Fearbringers(+3% damage, -30% Daily damage - wont matter cause you will use Arcane Empowerment daily)
    Boots: Primal Assault Kohambos (3% AP per kill)
    Ring: Ebonized Raid Ring (+3% ranged damage)
    Ring: Ring of the Shadowstalker +5 (+2.5% damage within 25 feet)
    Shirt: Prized Restoration Shirt of the Cult (+cooldown reduction)
    Pants: Prized Raid Trousers of the Cult (+2.5 AP per critical hit)

This is essentially my loadoat since live. I've been top DPS in every match except a few. With full Tenebrous buff & 400,000 health, the Tenebrous was accounting for about 15% of my damage... but Tenebrous was disabled by the last update.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Switch to Arcanist. It's better at everything except for long-distance AoE.
    Make sure you take Arcane & Spell Storm passives.
    For feats... I would avoid Iced Lightning but recommend taking the CHill feat.

For skills (variants are fine but this is a good baseline)
    Master: Disintegrate
    skill#1: Icy Terrain (your number 1 heavy hitting skill)
    skill#2: Steal Time (switch it to Repel for bosses)
    skill#3: Engangling Force (good allround utility & procs)

atwill #1: Storm Pillar (spam the HAMSTER out of this when there are 3 or more enemies in a group)
    atwill #2: Ray of Frost (the rest of the time during cool downs) RoF (with +40 magnitude per chill) hits hard

Daily: Arcane Empowerment + Ice Knife

Artifact: Boon of Atropal is great for boosting your at-wills
    Weapon Enchantment: Use Vorpal, Lightning, or Bronzewood
    Special Buffs: Use Adorable Pocket Pet or Chain of scales item, Tenebrous Enchantments + Energon & Zhentarim Warlock for HP (if they fix tenebrous - its broken now), damage causing consumables.
    Companion: Use an augment
    Head: any
    Armor: any
    Gloves: Fearbringers(+3% damage, -30% Daily damage - wont matter cause you will use Arcane Empowerment daily)
    Boots: Primal Assault Kohambos (3% AP per kill)
    Ring: Ebonized Raid Ring (+3% ranged damage)
    Ring: Ring of the Shadowstalker +5 (+2.5% damage within 25 feet)
    Shirt: Prized Restoration Shirt of the Cult (+cooldown reduction)
    Pants: Prized Raid Trousers of the Cult (+2.5 AP per critical hit)

This is essentially my loadoat since live. I've been top DPS in every match except a few. With full Tenebrous buff & 400,000 health, the Tenebrous was accounting for about 15% of my damage... but Tenebrous was disabled by the last update.

Tenebrous is good, but 15% of your total damage is too high (i.e. you may be leaving some damage on the table somewhere).

Cooldown reduction shirt isn't that good in practice. +3% damage shirt is almost certainly better.

Vorpal is the best DPS enchantment, hands-down.

Thaumaturge is overall superior right now for both specs. Arcanist looks good on paper, but Thaumaturge's Smolder-related damage effects are just too good. Arcanist is also too dependent on its unique Daily, which is slow to cast and grants no control-immunity, meaning that a single interruption can drastically curtail its best DPS.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    zimxero#8085 zimxero Member Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    OK. 30% chance per skill use of proccing tenebrous which deals 7% of your health as damage. If you proc 1 skill per second (during combat), you are adding 8,400 DPS at 400,000 health. It isn't as good as that cause it over-kills some enemies (wasting damage).

If you are doing 50,000 DPS normally, then transfer 25,000 power into Health to reach 400,000 health:

You lose 12.5% damage from sacrificing power
    You gain 16.8% damage from tenebrous
    net gain = 4.3% damage, plus increased health

So, you are right... the advantage was overstated.
  • Options
    quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2019

OK. 30% chance per skill use of proccing tenebrous which deals 7% of your health as damage. If you proc 1 skill per second (during combat), you are adding 8,400 DPS at 400,000 health. It isn't as good as that cause it over-kills some enemies (wasting damage).

If you are doing 50,000 DPS normally, then transfer 25,000 power into Health to reach 400,000 health:

I ran with tenebrous for a while, it was only 2% of my overall damage, that doesn't mean 2% dps increase, it just shifted some of my damage from smolder, rof, etc, to tenebrous power. Also, Tenebrous has an ICD, you can't spam proc it with RoF like you would think, or like you can with Crit Conflag + Focused Flames feat (iirc that's what it's called).

The only toon tenebrous actually boosted dps, was my 18k gwf alt that has only about 80k power and 250k hp. So in my experience, tenebrous was only BiS for a toon that couldn't afford to have BiS stuff anyways.

If they removed the ICD, then Tenebrous would be super powerful, and probably get nerfed right away.

Also, my Wizard is constantly top dps, except when running with other Wizards who outspec me, are more skilled, or are using some broken artifact, like the tales of old stuff. So all this talk about nerfing Wizards, it's bs, plain and simple. Wizards are probably the class that's in the best state atm.

I use Thaumaturge for all AoE, and sometimes for single target as well, like I said before rof + right feats and class features is pretty powerful. Arcanist does really well for single target, I use it for serious boss fights, the daily could use some CC immunity frames, but as long as you're not totally careless with activating it, it's usually ok, and it has good synergy with one of the new sets if you can produce AP fast enough.

• Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited May 2019

I ran with tenebrous for a while, it was only 2% of my overall damage, that doesn't mean 2% dps increase, it just shifted some of my damage from smolder, rof, etc, to tenebrous power. Also, Tenebrous has an ICD, you can't spam proc it with RoF like you would think, or like you can with Crit Conflag + Focused Flames feat (iirc that's what it's called).

The only toon tenebrous actually boosted dps, was my 18k gwf alt that has only about 80k power and 250k hp. So in my experience, tenebrous was only BiS for a toon that couldn't afford to have BiS stuff anyways.

If they removed the ICD, then Tenebrous would be super powerful, and probably get nerfed right away.

Also, my Wizard is constantly top dps, except when running with other Wizards who outspec me, are more skilled, or are using some broken artifact, like the tales of old stuff. So all this talk about nerfing Wizards, it's bs, plain and simple. Wizards are probably the class that's in the best state atm.

I use Thaumaturge for all AoE, and sometimes for single target as well, like I said before rof + right feats and class features is pretty powerful. Arcanist does really well for single target, I use it for serious boss fights, the daily could use some CC immunity frames, but as long as you're not totally careless with activating it, it's usually ok, and it has good synergy with one of the new sets if you can produce AP fast enough.
    Tenebrous shouldn't be "replacing" any damage unless there is a bug that causes its proc to compete with others.

Edit: If by "replace" you're referring to lost Power in those offense slots, even if Tenebrous is only 4% of overall damage (which is about what it was for my end-game Warlock with ~330k HP), that's roughly equivalent to 8k Power (more, depending on how much Power you already have before you factor in the difference).
    Post edited by vorphied on
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Thaumaturge is superior in AoE and single target atm. Arcanist is interesting and the daily but stormspell cant compete with smolder / rhimefire. I dont have any problems with DPS, usually being top uless some BIS rogue is around and still near.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    gonzothegreat198gonzothegreat198 Member Posts: 10 Arc User

Thaumaturge is superior in AoE and single target atm. Arcanist is interesting and the daily but stormspell cant compete with smolder / rhimefire. I dont have any problems with DPS, usually being top uless some BIS rogue is around and still near.

Yeah i normally don't have an issue with DPS going Thaum, it was just something I noticed the other day when running ME's. BTW, for the dude running arcanist, you are wasting the mastery slot for boss fights, switch out the Disintegrate with Ray of Enfeeble.
  • Options
    quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2019

Yeah, SS procs 30% of the time on Crits, and crit % is cap'd at 50%, so 0.5 * 0.3 = 0.15. Depending on the magnitude of smolder, they would have to increase SS proc chance to somewhere between 60% and 100% on crits, with 60% to put it at the same place it used to be with respect to proc rate (0.5 * 0.6 = 0.3).
    vorphied said:

Tenebrous shouldn't be "replacing" any damage unless there is a bug that causes its proc to compete with others.

Edit: If by "replace" you're referring to lost Power in those offense slots, even if Tenebrous is only 4% of overall damage (which is about what it was for my end-game Warlock with ~330k HP), that's roughly equivalent to 8k Power (more, depending on how much Power you already have before you factor in the difference).
    By replacing I mean by losing 3k power I lost damage in everything that is buffed by power, like smolder, and it went to tenebrous power, w/ or w/o tenebrous, my average encounter dps was about the same. That's what I mean by "replaced", the overall dps was just shifted from other sources.

I've also been tossing around an idea in my head that, since on thaum, most of my damage is from smolder, would replacing my hags rags and eyestalk wraps with pieces with more power, produce better results? I'm not sure if smolder is buffed by the buffs applied to the powers that proc smolder, if so, then +6% dmg, but if not, it might be better to stack more power. I'll have to hop on preview and run some tests at some point, unless someone else has already :)