test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Karzov now an end game raid?

Seriously though, I am kinda new to the game. I leveled my paladin to 74 without knowing I needed to do any of the campaigns. I read up on the boon system, which I have none of, and realized I needed to get some.

I decided to create a new char (wizard) as I do not care for the new Paladin playstyle. Customer service said I should come to the forums with my questions.

My questions are:

do I need to do Karzov to continue? I finally killed karzov on my wizard, but died to the mobs. It did not give me credit for the kill.

Am I better just finishing the paladin?

I cannot access chat or trade or auction house on my pallidan. I cannot find the quests to unlock it, is it too late to find them? I quested in all those areas. Just never finished them and kept deleted them to keep quest log clean.

I wanted to start clean and level a new char proper, but am having s very difficult time doing so. Is leveling doable right now?

Comments

• Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Karzov is a bit of a bottleneck...the first really hard fight players face while leveling up. It is supposedly doable with all classes (I have only tried a couple personally), but it takes everything you have and any temporary buffs you may be able to get.

It would not hurt to scale it down a little - it is so early that there is a chance it may drive some brand new players to give up on the game, but well..it is doable. Would be a lot easier if low-level players could use chat, to make it easier for them to team up if they are a bit weak, or unskilled.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    barkloud#8760 barkloud Member Posts: 38 Arc User

I really do think level 13 is too early for a final exam boss- and he's not even really that. You can avoid his spinning strike and still get eaten alive by his autoattacks if you miss a dodge.

A lot of zone bosses have this problem- they still spawn just as many adds throughout the fight as they always did, but leveling players are much less powerful now and companions provide a lot less support, so you often find yourself in the situation OP described: boss is dead, but 20+mobs are stomping your HAMSTER into a fine paste.

MOST, if not all, leveling bosses need their add spawns cut in half, or else need to be flagged as group quests.

I brought up to customer service flagging the boss as a group boss.

I am still faced with trying to figure out how to find the quests for opening Chat, Auction house, etc... many of the questlines it requires I dropped halfway through a month ago.

I started playing this game on XBOX, where chat is a nightmare. You know, those console players are not MMORPG players, they are going to FREAKOUT when Mod 16 hits.
  • Options
    nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    Try Barbarian it kills fast and has better survivability.
  • Options
    xtremozxtremoz Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    with all the changes on mod 16... some content is now harder than it should be, so its not u its not your class its the mess they did on mod 16. that being said i would recommend u asking some other player for help, maybe a guild friend if u have 1 or some1 from zone facing same boss/quest.
  • Options
    kharkov58kharkov58 Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    It would be nice if he was allowed to use zone chat to ask for help.
  • Options
    stargoemoestargoemoe Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hi there,
    I just started playing yesterday and gues what, Karzov stopped me. Up to level 6 everthing my ranger encounted was easygoing, but they path to and Karzov himself were undoable for me. Ok. Next attempt, I played a barbarian. Up to level 6/7everything died before even touching me, but after that it got harder. Gues what, Karzov downed me even faster than the huntress.

Than I found a clue and finished Karzov off with both chars. The point is: your weapon damage becomes more vital each level you grow. I bought a new weapon from NPCs (I don't own this auction house currency) and more than doubled my damage output. Karzov and his minions died much more easily.

If the game is supposed to support the new player during the early levels it fails big. I tried to get help in the zone, but I am prohibited to talk there as well. I can't remember a MMO that unfriendly to new players as this one. Still playing, but I am a veteran MMO player who knows where to look read and try.
  • Options
    aratecharatech Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User

Hi there,

I just started playing yesterday and gues what, Karzov stopped me. Up to level 6 everthing my ranger encounted was easygoing, but they path to and Karzov himself were undoable for me. Ok. Next attempt, I played a barbarian. Up to level 6/7everything died before even touching me, but after that it got harder. Gues what, Karzov downed me even faster than the huntress.

Than I found a clue and finished Karzov off with both chars. The point is: your weapon damage becomes more vital each level you grow. I bought a new weapon from NPCs (I don't own this auction house currency) and more than doubled my damage output. Karzov and his minions died much more easily.

If the game is supposed to support the new player during the early levels it fails big. I tried to get help in the zone, but I am prohibited to talk there as well. I can't remember a MMO that unfriendly to new players as this one. Still playing, but I am a veteran MMO player who knows where to look read and try.

It wasn't always this way, my friend...up until 3 weeks ago, Neverwinter was famed for being a pretty solo-friendly MMO with fast paced, intense combat...

Now...not so much.

I will offer this word of advice: do not, if ever possible, overlevel. The scaling is completely screwed up in the new module and you will be actively punished by watching your stats dip down *below* what they were even when you were the level you were 'scaled' to.

Good luck and godspeed, man. You're gonna need it now.

• Options
    barkloud#8760 barkloud Member Posts: 38 Arc User

IF you dropped some low lvl quest just make sure in your options you tick box show low lvl quests that way you should be able to find them.

thank you!!
  • Options
    You made me curious I will level a char just to try Karzov.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    nemesrich said:

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to do the same thing, just to see.

Something I ran into the other day, in another zone, is finishing the boss, but missing a drop I needed, and going back for it, and missing out on the end chest, which didn't let me complete the quest. Simply going back allowed me to complete, although I did have to clear everything again, which may have been time sensitive, not sure, as that was the first time I'd left a quest w/out completing it.

Edit: Just completed my testing of this, and I managed to complete it fairly easily, on a Wizard. I had to do some kiting, so it wasn't a "stand in one place and cast" thing. I leveled to 8 in the instance, and did not use any of the perks I get from Founder stuff, such as having a companion before level 10ish, and no mount. I have both, but they're just taking up slots in my inventory as I type this, since I didn't do anything with them but collect them.
    Post edited by robertthebard on
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    I tried it with a level 8 Barbarian with given items no enchants, etc like a new player.
    I did it at first time, I avoided Karzov's daily and avoided any fight when the servants appeared until I had encounters and had no problem surviving.

It wasn't harder than I remembered. I remember dying with my first character, a ranger 2 or 3 times at Karzov until I figured out I have to avoid close fight and red circles when possible.
  • Options
    highlyunstablehighlyunstable Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    nemesrich said:

I did just that... Made ANOTHER TR... just taking the normal quest got to LvL 8 and Destroyed HIM... BUT, I did have a companion with Blue companion gear... NO Enchants though.
  • Options
    mythdemeanourmythdemeanour Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Tried Karkov with my very first ever character (warlock). Although all the monsters up to this point were relatively easy (as they should be to a starter area) I died many times over here. As this was my very first character and I was new to the game without any help other than what I got from the quests I feel he is a bit overpowered for being an intro boss. I can see how someone with " a rich uncle" might have a much easier time, all I can say is that from a new character POV it comes off as a bit harsh. I created a cleric next, using only the starter gear, I was able to defeat him, although it was a nail bitter near the end with the adds.

My point here is that "IF" you have experience with the game or a "rich uncle" and/or have played other similar characters it will be a VERY different experience. Someone just picking up the game for the very first time, will not have the muscle memory of a long time player and as such should not face such a tough foe so early on. Luckily I stuck with the game after my cleric got through, and the bosses after that point are relatively benign now, but if all my characters had such a hard time with that boss you can bet I would just play something else.

Edit to add: I just watched the stream and it seems it has been dialed back, so maybe I can play my warlock again :).
    Post edited by mythdemeanour on
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User

So veteran players fond of boasting can do things, new player have difficulties with. Whom does this help?

Irony? I've been told repeatedly in PE zone that I'm a newb, and that there's nothing wrong with that. I went in with a class that I don't play, and found I could complete the content. The only thing I was looking to see is if this content had somehow become bloated difficulty wise. My answer was "No, it's not any harder now than it was when I ran it any other time I ran it". The help for the new players should be advice on how to do it, not "yeah, since the update, you're hosed".

Tried Karkov with my very first ever character (warlock). Although all the monsters up to this point were relatively easy (as they should be to a starter area) I died many times over here. As this was my very first character and I was new to the game without any help other than what I got from the quests I feel he is a bit overpowered for being an intro boss. I can see how someone with " a rich uncle" might have a much easier time, all I can say is that from a new character POV it comes off as a bit harsh. I created a cleric next, using only the starter gear, I was able to defeat him, although it was a nail bitter near the end with the adds.

My point here is that "IF" you have experience with the game or a "rich uncle" and/or have played other similar characters it will be a VERY different experience. Someone just picking up the game for the very first time, will not have the muscle memory of a long time player and as such should not face such a tough foe so early on. Luckily I stuck with the game after my cleric got through, and the bosses after that point are relatively benign now, but if all my characters had such a hard time with that boss you can bet I would just play something else.

Edit to add: I just watched the stream and it seems it has been dialed back, so maybe I can play my warlock again :).

Regarding "rich uncle", I deliberately ignored all of my "rich uncle" perks, so that I could get as close to a new player experience as possible. I can't get really close, because I understand character movement, and how the fight goes, but on a level 8 Wizard, the fight wasn't all that hard. If I wanted to cheese the results, I could have pushed to 10, run some RADs and other little spot quests, to cheese up some levels. I even skipped one of the quest lines in the district, on accident, I forgot about it until I was about half done with the last instance, and still managed just fine. I realize this flies in the face of the "but this new system hurts new players worse than anyone" narrative, coming from people with "rich uncles" for the most part, but I'm not overly concerned about the narrative, I'm more concerned about the facts, and one fact is that, if one comes here and asks for help, people should be laying out strategies for the fight, instead of trying to drive them away with "you're screwed".
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    drinkvernors#7197 drinkvernors Member Posts: 64 Arc User

do I need to do Karzov to continue? I finally killed karzov on my wizard, but died to the mobs. It did not give me credit for the kill.

Yes, you need to finish Karzov to complete Blacklake district and progress to Tower District. You will also need the gear from the chest.

Am I better just finishing the paladin?

Each class has it's merits, you will be glad you have variety when you get bored with only one. So, yes, continue with the Paladin in addition to your Wizard.

I cannot access chat or trade or auction house on my pallidan. I cannot find the quests to unlock it, is it too late to find them? I quested in all those areas. Just never finished them and kept deleted them to keep quest log clean.

At the bottom of the quest journal is the option to show completed and lower level quests. You will get access to chat/trade/and AH once you complete Neverdeath Graveyard (lvl 28ish).

I wanted to start clean and level a new char proper, but am having s very difficult time doing so. Is leveling doable right now?

Yes, leveling for new characters is not directly affected by the changes in Mod 16. The scaling kicks in once you reach level 71 or go to a higher level zone (like a Stronghold/guild map or a campaign region ).

• Options
    allthumbs#8758 allthumbs Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    FWIW my fighter took out Karzov without too much trouble
  • Options
    ziggerlinziggerlin Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I think I'm going to take some of my level 75-80 toons through old zones I skipped while leveling to see how the boss fights look. :)