test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need some PVP Love

quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
edited April 2019 in PvP Discussion
At the moment, sometimes when you land in solo queue dom, it feels like there is always one or two people like this...

And they do basically run around killing everyone using some broken artifact and combination of feats, powers, and boons on top of being geared to the max. Meanwhile we have players like this...

...still on green/blue gear or vistani stuff getting smacked, kicked, and dicked around. Having 1 or 2 of these players on your team is a serious handicap to the serious players and the match is basically just no contest. Everyone knows this, the devs have to be aware of this, I just can't see how they can't be. IT's also probably one of the biggest reasons PVP has a hard time building up a larger player base.

First of all, the main reason I would like to see PVP get some McLove'n soon is, at least for myself, once I'm done with the new content every mod release, including the new dungeon and grinding out new gear sets, there is nothing else left for me to do. I get bored, really bored. For a long time between mods I just logged in to get my vip key, manage my ah postings, flip stuff for a bit of profit, and maybe, maybe run stronghold quests to help my guild out once or twice a week. And it went on like that until I started pvp'ing. Now between mods, I do what I used to, but I also queue up for pvp and dump ad into respecing loadouts to try new things. Despite PVP's drawbacks in class balance, and stuff like rapid microstuns, and broken artifacts, when a match is fairly balanced, it is a lot, and I mean a lot, of heart pumping adrenaline chasing fun. While, the PVE content is ok, it really isn't very deep, there isn't any emotional investment in the story lines, the npc don't mean anything, and killing the same mobs over and over gets old after the 10th time, I rarely ever get the same addictive rush from PVE content that I do in a good PVP match.

With as much fun as it can be, I really don't understand why the company has been neglecting PVP for so long. There are a lot of things they can do to make it work really well, and be as fair as possible. In fact, it really blows my mind that they haven't made Neverwinter a PVP focused game, the combat has been some of the best in any mmorpg that I have played. Only one or two other title have competed with NWO in that aspect, but there are a few things that made me prefer NWO over them.

Anyways, these are just some of my ideas and thoughts for making PVP better, I hope that they'll be useful:

- Some people have suggested making different queues for ilvl, but then say it won't work because people will swap gear.

-- 1) Make PVP gear purchasable with PVP currency (we already have some), and/or AD.
-- 2) Make a few different tiers of ilvl with the first costing gold or free.
-- 3) Make it so you can only queue for PVP in PVP Gear, and once inside, all other gear, and PVP gear not of the ilvl the queue is for, unequipable. This way, people could swap to PVP Gear of the right ilvl with different stats if they wanted, but they couldn't equip gear of higher or lower ilvl while in a match.
-- 4) Keep the gear simple, simplest is without any special abilities or procs, just stats. And maybe don't allow enchants in the first tier, or cap the enchants at a certain rank at each tier. Should be easy with current scaling implementation in m16.

- Several artifacts are overpowered in the context of PVP, there will be no end to this and fixing them as new artifacts are released without taking into consideration the effects they will have in PVP.

-- 1) Disable the use of active artifacts.
-OR-
-- 2) Fix all the artifacts, and think about their effects in PVP moving forward.

Aside from class balancing issues, does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions on to make pvp better, more fun, and fair?

Comments

• lunartic666lunartic666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 53 Arc User
    Don't be naive, pvp is depopulated, pve will start losing people, the best suggestion is straight to the company - to sell NW to some serious people.
    Just go check preview, everything updated besides pvp related things:
    -no single pvp boon adjusted to new lvl cap.
    -trade of blades store is joke.
    -people 1-shotting eachother with encounter powers in pvp.
    -all the other thing mentioned during years.

However, amazing game mechanic (seriously best mechanic for pvp mmo game) you mentioned was dumbed down, gameplay lost fluidity.
    There is nothing left for pvp player in this game.

Btw. You are all stupid pugs, and you'll never gonna be as good as me.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    I'm not being naive, just not marching a doomsday parade is all, but I am rather disappointed with the mechanics behind damage in m16, and severe limitation on build variation as well. And, I do know the pvp population is abysmal at best at this time. Though I will admit, the way things are looking, the game is in a bad state right now, and chances of them working on pvp seems pretty low from an outside perspective, but maybe a shift towards a pvp focused game would change that perhaps?

All the simplification of mechanics and one-shotting people can change. That's why I said besides class balancing issues.

The trade of blade store has gear of lower item level than pve gear sure, but that's besides the point, what I'm saying is make is to that you can't queue for, nor equip or wear pve gear in pvp instances (open world pvp is a different story), it adds too much of a gap between fresh 70s and vets. This is also why I would suggest having different tiered pvp gear, everyone starts off with the same number of stats from gear, and then you grind pvp to move up tiers by purchasing higher item level gear from the pvp store with pvp currency and/or ad. Maybe like 3-4 tiers (queues). The reason I say this, is that the biggest thing that makes pvp frustrating, is not class balance, but the level of the players (item level wise). It doesn't matter if you have the weakest class in the game, if the strongest class is 10k item level lower than you, it's no contest, you're gonna win.

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Same pov. as you quickfoot. Pvp was always the biggest thrill. To be honest, given the complete rehash of the game this mod, and the limited resources the dev team seem to have, I'm not surprised they left pvp in the wind. I'm hoping once they get the pve side of things nailed down, and the bugs ironed out, they'll take the time to revamp the pvp side too because it was a major driver of the game in the early days and could easily be again.

Just needs a little incentive for average players to get into domination en masse, as at the moment the tone is set by the die-hards, a large percentage of whom are indeed the stereotypes you mentioned.With enough new people the atmosphere would change.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    I don't like the idea of pvp-only gear at all and never did. I also don't see how it would help. Just make the same gear as can be purchased with seals available in the Trade of Blades for glory.

Pvp seems like the one place that the new scaling actually should be implemented, to put a power cap on players and make balancing the classes, if after all these years they finally make a sincere attempt at it, easier.

edited April 2019
    I suppose ilvl capping would have a similar effect, except for any strange additional procs that may come from pve gear, like curse bringer ring and manticore mane was a nightmare.

I think if they had better rewards that would help the PVP population as well, but ofc botters. So maybe have some decent loot table to roll on for the winning team in solo-dom, as I think it would be harder for botters or "squatters" (?) to sync queues just for the loot than it would in the regular premade queue. They could also remove the "X/10 have accepted" message while waiting to load the map to make it harder to sync like they did with random queues. Like maybe have some pretty rare artifact that was only on the PVP loot table, and was actually pretty good for PVE too. But really just better rewards, and like maybe 3-10k rad or something for the winning team, some rp's like in dungeon chests, and perhaps some consolation loot table for the losing team, but not much, just like 1k rad and some rps.

edited April 2019
    I think mod 16 has laid a little groundwork for fixing pvp to an extent.

By shifting the pve side of things much more onto your pets, and marginalizing the effect of enchants by going to the 1000:1 scale, plus the new, less impactful, boon system... the difference between an old toon and a newer toon in pvp is closing. The only fly in the ointment maybe the new legendary insignias, there's a hell of a difference between a full set of orange and a full set of blues, and a hell of a grind or dollars between them.

Still, better in principle at least, to what we had before.
  • leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

I think mod 16 has laid a little groundwork for fixing pvp to an extent.

By shifting the pve side of things much more onto your pets, and marginalizing the effect of enchants by going to the 1000:1 scale, plus the new, less impactful, boon system... the difference between an old toon and a newer toon in pvp is closing. The only fly in the ointment maybe the new legendary insignias, there's a hell of a difference between a full set of orange and a full set of blues, and a hell of a grind or dollars between them.

Still, better in principle at least, to what we had before.

true, and mb if they fix broken piece of HAMSTER scaling and implement it to PvP things will be good, right after they fix several hundred bugs, that is.
    ikr.

Having played around in dom a little last night, the HR now feels a lot like it used to back in mod 2. Too early to settle on a build, but seemed a bit underpowered tbh.

That focused retaliation boon needs to be turned off for pvp, and tbh. as the op said, so do active artifacts. Seems like there are always a few that are far too good in pvp.

Put pvp dom on the random AD queue roster, with the caveats that you only get AD for a win, and only if you're not the lowest toon on the results board at the end of the match to stop botters/afkers.

Make glory a tradeable currency, at X rate, with any other currency - seals/campaign currencies etc.- to give people further incentive to play.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    I'd like to see AD for pvp again, but not depending on the results board. There have been plenty of matches where I made the difference in getting the team a win and ended up lowest on the results board because it doesn't measure a player's real effect on the match.
    Mer mer mer mer. It usually does though doesn't it. Usually. Like most of the time. Like quite often etc.

Feanor I know your heart is in the right place, but sometimes, you gotta go for the lesser of two evils and call it a win. And right now, pvp is almost solid evil.
    The score board can in general be a good indicator of who contributed in a match, but sometimes little things that don't give points can drastically impact a match, such as a holding a node for a prolonged period of time while the rest of the team caps and kills for the other two. Not just standing on a node, but holding it against another player, preventing them from caping, even if you die over and over, if you can get back to the node to prevent them from capping, it's more points for your team owning it, but no points for you.

Yep. I also have a copy of the pvp handbook. That's page 42, under the heading of "taking one for the team".

This is why nothing ever gets done.

Proposal: put the AD daily back into pvp.

Counter: botters/ afk exploiters.

Solution. team win/don't be low man on the pole.

Pros: very simple parameters. Brightlines. Easy to code. Easy to understand. Reliable 90% of the time. And by reliable I mean "does it discern between a player who did something, and a player who either hid, or stayed in spawn." Better than what we have now which is no AD, and no pvp playerbase. Will attract a whole new crop of people, especially given now AD grinding is less easy than it was.

Cons: Doesn't account for nodeholder sub-meta. Will promote kill-stealing and post-gg kills if winning players in positions 4 and 5 are close. Also doesn't account for lowbie in a team of highbies who played his or her heart out, but just couldn't kill anyone/get to nodes in time to cap with their crappy horse.

Is it a perfect solution..? No, is it better than current solution..? ie. No solution..? Yes.

Pvp is on fire. Resist the urge to argue over bucket size. Argue after the fire is out.