test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sad News

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
The Foundry is going away for good. Livestream today at 3pm PT. So many great stories gone...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11102923-foundry-sunset-april-11,-2019
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• Options
    gethundgethund Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Yeah...why on earth would they want to continue the one thing that makes these games unique?

:s
  • Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    i feel sad for all the RP ppl :(
  • Options
    fremen#4136 fremen Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    For the first time since 2002, denizens of Neverwinter won't be able to create content.
    I can imagine nothing worse than a slow, lingering death by neglect
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    I don't smell a coincidence at all that they're dumbing down the game to make it easy to manage with a skeleton crew along with removing the foundry....
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I'm going to miss so much. The mushroom grove most of all, perhaps. I'll especially miss my characters -- Frek and Squip, the Fred and Barney of redcaps, Nuni innocently asking if eating glowing mushrooms will cause her to glow, Gebbin deciding "oh, never mind", sad Teelu (she needs a hug!), and of course Narf -- always calling me "skinny".
    Post edited by hustin1 on
  • Options
    gethundgethund Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Just as an idle question, who owns the intellectual copyright for the work you've provided to the community?
  • Options
    jb0281#4602 jb0281 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    This actually makes me upset and I've only been playing Neverwinter for a couple of weeks now. I'm truly a new player here. I don't know the first thing about the foundry but I think it is awesome. Now I'm skeptical whether or not I should continue to invest my time in Neverwinter if things are taking a downward spiral turn. :(
  • Options
    mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    This is a step in totally the wrong direction. If they want to turn people away, sure then by all means do it. Part of the D&D experience is to make your own custom quests and campaigns and play them with your friends. It's also a never ending stream of new content that keeps players playing the game and spending money on other stuff.

I've already seen people leave for other games set in a similar fantasy setting due to the content of Mod 16, or rather the gigantic changes coming to their characters they invested so much time and money into, only to see them turned almost unplayable for their prefered play style.

It makes me very sad. I have been working on creating a campaign for the last few weeks that I think a lot of players would have loved. With over 50 named characters and 14 species, 4 towns, 1 ruined town, 1 fallen kingdom, 2 gods, 1 tomb, 2 mysterious forests, 1 swamp, 3 castles, with various random exploration and things and beings to run into. Really really sad. :'(
  • Options
    tecmysttecmyst Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 45 Arc User
    Indeed sad news.
    I remember, that the Foundry was thing, that convinced me to join Neverwinter ranks on the first place. You could find stories there superb in comparison to other quest in campaigns.
    Always hoped that devs would finally get it revitalised for wider audience.
    But now I'm under impression with last trully non grind activity going off, Neverwinter become JUST yet another MMO.
    Well keeping my fingers crossed for new mod, but now not really strongly.
  • Options
    Eaten barely anything in the past 48 hours and things keep getting more grim. It really feels like someone close has died.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

This is a step in totally the wrong direction. If they want to turn people away, sure then by all means do it. Part of the D&D experience is to make your own custom quests and campaigns and play them with your friends. It's also a never ending stream of new content that keeps players playing the game and spending money on other stuff.

I've already seen people leave for other games set in a similar fantasy setting due to the content of Mod 16, or rather the gigantic changes coming to their characters they invested so much time and money into, only to see them turned almost unplayable for their prefered play style.

It makes me very sad. I have been working on creating a campaign for the last few weeks that I think a lot of players would have loved. With over 50 named characters and 14 species, 4 towns, 1 ruined town, 1 fallen kingdom, 2 gods, 1 tomb, 2 mysterious forests, 1 swamp, 3 castles, with various random exploration and things and beings to run into. Really really sad. :'(

I put so much work into the environment for Blood Magic. The Tree Halls were to be my masterpiece. I really want to finish it before the end.
  • Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Definitely appears they're dumbing down the game so that a skeleton crew can keep it limping along. I don't see things lasting much longer.
  • Options
    luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I started a thread in player feedback (not sure what is discussion, and what is feedback). I have been saying for some time that it would be easy to integrate foundry via a trusted foundry random q aimed between levelling dungeons and intermediate, giving regular fresh content. It is the easiest way to deliver this although I appreciate there will be a fair amount of work to bring the foundry into the new mod it would make it well worth it and hugely increase the use of the foundry (as well as the incentive to make more foundries!).
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i am going to miss Foundry, why did devs gave up on it?
  • Options
    warrfb#9532 warrfb Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    And there goes my only reason to play this game. NWO isn't really a winner for me at any of its features, the only thing that ACE the competition is the foundry. I know that updating the foundry to the new MOD must be a pain and that they admitted that "legacy knowledge to keep updating the foundry is not available anymore" (Something that has been obvious for the past years) but still, the wound is too deep for them to just write it off as "just a minority issue". I will still try to finish "Zero to Hero" before the end and I will play every new foundry I hear about. See you guys, maybe on the next game to offer player designed content.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    mm... it's sad news the same way it's sad to hear a distant relative that spent the last few years in a coma and on life support has finally died.

While it has a few very loyal fans and supporters, The Foundry has been almost entirely irrelevant in both STO and NW for several years now. Cryptic hasn't been able to give it even a fraction of the support it needed to thrive as a system, and clearly the felt they never would be able to. From a business perspective, sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on.

It IS sad to lose the Foundry because it was a really unique part of Star Trek and later Neverwinter - UGC in a MMO is basically unheard of and was a really good draw for the game - especially Neverwinter via the D&D crowd.

But... really this won't change the game anyway since it hasn't had real relevance for years. So sad? a bit. Surprising? Not in the least.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I wonder if they plan to shutdown Champions next?
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    the loved Foundry

2013- apr. 2019

RIP

"sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• Options
    cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    wylonus said:

because they think it's something the game doesn't need?

let's face facts, this game is heading in a direction away from old timers who remember these features. they would happily throw every single player from the start under the bus and start afresh if they could.

the new players that come after can't miss what they didn't play. how many players who joined after they sacked the gateway know of it's existence.

soon enough, the older players will walk away from the game, and the only ones left will be the new ones who are all bright-eyed optimists just wanting to discover the game in their own time.

they don't know gateway, or any of the other features that have been cut, and in time, the new ones that come will also not know or care for the foundry feature.

one by one, they'll cut the core features of what made this game an enjoyment, and the newer players will be happy to play it for what it is at that point, not knowing how much better it was.

I've always been an "adapt or GTFO" kind of player, but even I'm starting to question if I have what it takes to adapt again.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • Options

wylonus said:

because they think it's something the game doesn't need?

let's face facts, this game is heading in a direction away from old timers who remember these features. they would happily throw every single player from the start under the bus and start afresh if they could.

the new players that come after can't miss what they didn't play. how many players who joined after they sacked the gateway know of it's existence.

soon enough, the older players will walk away from the game, and the only ones left will be the new ones who are all bright-eyed optimists just wanting to discover the game in their own time.

they don't know gateway, or any of the other features that have been cut, and in time, the new ones that come will also not know or care for the foundry feature.

one by one, they'll cut the core features of what made this game an enjoyment, and the newer players will be happy to play it for what it is at that point, not knowing how much better it was.

I've always been an "adapt or GTFO" kind of player, but even I'm starting to question if I have what it takes to adapt again.
    Old timers... When the basic class and combat revamp feel like they're from 1000 years ago. That's all that's left now, and who would want a watered down MMO experience?
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    wylonus said:

Because they don't have enough personnel to upgrade all the old code to bring it in line with the new code.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Sad indeed.
    But not remotely a surprise.
    They've been passive-aggressively killing the Foundry softly for over 3 years through neglect.

Honestly, I'm surprised they even bothered to announce an official unplug date.
    Expected them to let the foundry population to wither away and distract the masses with shiny new things in PvE.

Foundry could have been great. Massive opportunity cost there.

I wrote a haiku about it.
    "Like to hear it? Hear it go:"

Cherry blossoms bloom.
    Red blood flows from foundry's throat.
    What a tragic waste.

JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    polaris, love that rose pic that coming apart at the edges.