test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Yojimbo companion useless at staying alive

lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
Any opportunity to fall of a ledge or jump off platform, and this companion takes it.

He's lucky to last 5 seconds against the turtle in Fangbreaker, for example.
Ras Nsi it's the same.
Sure he'd be awesome in the Cradle, if I ever went there ;)

It's a fatally flawed companion at the most critical of times, until they fix it.

Comments

• Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    he must be crazy about having a turtle soup so bad.
  • Options
    gethundgethund Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Seems to me that all companions have got a whole lot squishier over the past couple of weeks :suspicious:
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    The problem with the turtle fight is the explosive runes. They aggro you so you can attack them, but that also makes your companion blindly charge after them right into the water.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    My TR has the Wayward Wizard at epic. Phindar (the companion) does a great job staying alive. He has an item that makes him more threatening, so the monsters attack him. Also he has Life Steal and Regen... see image for his stats. This guy seldom falls in battle.

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

The problem with the turtle fight is the explosive runes. They aggro you so you can attack them, but that also makes your companion blindly charge after them right into the water.

It's not about chasing explosive runes.
    This is while actually fighting the turtle. Same with Ras Nsi when he's near the edge of the platform. The companion has no sense of falling, and simply runs off the edge of platforms to position around enemies.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    As I don't have the Yojimbo, I can only guess the AI instructions are poorly done. One of the worse AI companions is Xuna who attacks just about anything she sees. This is good when you are looking for a big fight but not so good when you want her to stick with 1 group at a time.

I have issues with not being able to instruct my companion to simply attack, guard, or hold. STO (Cryptic's previous game) has this ability to issue more advanced commands. I could understand it, if my companion is just a dumb animal or undead minion. My DC uses Geas a lot, and has to be extra careful to get the companion fighting one creature first then use it on another. Geas will not last if the creature is attacked for long.

I can only imagine at this point, the AI the Yojimbo is using is probably based off Xuna or some other TR companion.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    wylonus said:

he must be crazy about having a turtle soup so bad.

Well, turtle soup IS worth it!

• Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

My TR has the Wayward Wizard at epic. Phindar (the companion) does a great job staying alive. He has an item that makes him more threatening, so the monsters attack him. Also he has Life Steal and Regen... see image for his stats. This guy seldom falls in battle.

These are fairly cheap @ blue on the AH, I might pick one up & give it a try!
  • Options
    estasia1estasia1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 107 Arc User
    Due to Yojimbo absolute failure at staying alive most of my guild members are going back to the Chultan Tiger. We have spent money on a companion that can't be used in combat, so what good is it. Have the dev's stated anywhere that there will be a fix?
  • Options
    jalstionjalstion Member Posts: 2 Arc User

As I don't have the Yojimbo, I can only guess the AI instructions are poorly done. One of the worse AI companions is Xuna who attacks just about anything she sees. This is good when you are looking for a big fight but not so good when you want her to stick with 1 group at a time.

I have issues with not being able to instruct my companion to simply attack, guard, or hold. STO (Cryptic's previous game) has this ability to issue more advanced commands. I could understand it, if my companion is just a dumb animal or undead minion. My DC uses Geas a lot, and has to be extra careful to get the companion fighting one creature first then use it on another. Geas will not last if the creature is attacked for long.

I can only imagine at this point, the AI the Yojimbo is using is probably based off Xuna or some other TR companion.

I remember playing Neverwinter Nights and recall being able to direct companions to "attack", "hold off until I attack", "avoid confrontation" and even "pick up treasure".

I was a little disappointed when I started a game called Neverwinter and found so many things I previously associated with Neverwinter Nights that didn't seem to make it to Neverwinter MMO.
  • Options
    dameon2kdameon2k Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I don't use that companion on bosses but he is my mob melt companion and I usually have little issue with him. You have to be careful with the dragon turtle because it is half submerged in water. Even a few attacks can get person instantly killed. Companions in general seem to struggle to stay alive during that part of FBI.