test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SH quests no longer work for party?

robai#6206 robai Member Posts: 344 Arc User
I mean quests for killing Drakes/Beasts/Spiders.
They've worked before and it was a good reason to group (the main reason actually).
Now it counts just individual kills, not party kills (just did Drakes with a friend and noticed that the quest wasn't completed for me).

At least SH quests for Boss kills (like Smith/Gorgon/etc.) still works for party though (this one is less important since you can activate it individually without changing instance, but it's good that it still works).

I'm curious what was the logic for this change?

Comments

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I mean it was likely something they required FIXING for some time, you can probably still party with other players, yet only target's you strike may count toward the objective.

So if you both strike the same enemy before it dies I'd suspect both will still get a credit for those defeats; I think the reason they changed was for obvious other reasons. Like if you have a party with 2-3 others and you have a several quests over a week from the builder for example. Then one could go to defeat drakes, another to defeat spiders, and the last to do Beast; this is just an example how it 'could' play out yet often occurs for other reasons.

So from that perspective I can understand why they finally changed it if they did.

--
    Comment added below (edit):
    It's probably been reported as a 'bug' by many people over the 'years' and should only count a 'defeat' when you actually target & strike a NPC for the quest.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    I have not noticed this change/fix but the "previous" behaviour was kind of wrong. It used to only need one person in the party to do those quest and the rest of the party can just sit still and get credit.

We partied up before DF. When we are waiting for DF time, most people wait on site (checking inventory, chatting, dancing, ...) but one may happen to go out around the neighbourhood to do his SH quests. Then, we got those quest completed one by one for doing nothing.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2019

I have not noticed this change/fix but the "previous" behaviour was kind of wrong. It used to only need one person in the party to do those quest and the rest of the party can just sit still and get credit.

We partied up before DF. When we are waiting for DF time, most people wait on site (checking inventory, chatting, dancing, ...) but one may happen to go out around the neighbourhood to do his SH quests. Then, we got those quest completed one by one for doing nothing.

If it is a "stronghold" quest, what's wrong with one person (or a couple of people) in the party doing the majority of the heavy lifting and other people in the party getting XP for their effort - so long as they actually participate?

Isn't the whole concept behind guilds to help out other members of the guild - including low level characters that need a helping hand? Ultimately better higher level players (regardless of how they got there) usually makes for a better guild/stronghold.

Now if something like leeching or a player going AFK during stronghold quest becomes an issue, wouldn't the ultimate solution be to vote to kick that person out of the party/guild?

If there is a person in the guild that is attempting to take advantage of other people in the guild, then perhaps it's time for that person to go - or perhaps time to find a new guild... just my thoughts.

(*BTW, I think the vote kick timer for stronghold quests, should be much shorter than regular vote kick timers. I mean after all we're all friends here aren't we - until we're not.)

I used to do many stronghold quests to help guildmates level up, get stuff to feed the the coffers so they could purchase stronghold gear (back when stronghold gear was still a viable thing) or just because...

Those days are pretty much gone now since most of the active players can do stronghold quest as well or better than I can but I'm not too shy to admit, some of them got to where they are a little quicker because I or someone else in the guild didn't mind "carrying" them until they got to where they could carry themselves.

DD~
  • Options
    dionchi said:

If it is a "stronghold" quest, what's wrong with one person (or a couple of people) in the party doing the majority of the heavy lifting and other people in the party getting XP for their effort - so long as they actually participate?

Isn't the whole concept behind guilds to help out other members of the guild - including low level characters that need a helping hand? Ultimately better higher level players (regardless of how they got there) usually makes for a better guild/stronghold.

Now if something like leeching or a player going AFK during stronghold quest becomes an issue, wouldn't the ultimate solution be to vote to kick that person out of the party/guild?

If there is a person in the guild that is attempting to take advantage of other people in the guild, then perhaps it's time for that person to go - or perhaps time to find a new guild... just my thoughts.

(*BTW, I think the vote kick timer for stronghold quests, should be much shorter than regular vote kick timers. I mean after all we're all friends here aren't we - until we're not.)

I used to do many stronghold quests to help guildmates level up, get stuff to feed the the coffers so they could purchase stronghold gear (back when stronghold gear was still a viable thing) or just because...

Those days are pretty much gone now since most of the active players can do stronghold quest as well or better than I can but I'm not too shy to admit, some of them got to where they are a little quicker because I or someone else in the guild didn't mind "carrying" them until they got to where they could carry themselves.

What I described was the other 4 did not participate at all and are standing far far away from the place of action.
    That behaviour is wrong in my book. Read what I described.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited January 2019

dionchi said:

What I described was the other 4 did not participate at all and are standing far far away from the place of action.
    Actually I agree with the behavior you described being what I consider inconsiderate and unacceptable...

I did read what you described but thought you were speaking of just one person who left the group to do other things in the stronghold with the others standing around "chatting - etc." until the battle began.

Which is why I responded:
    dionchi said:

(However) If there is a person (or persons) in the guild that is attempting to take advantage of other people in the guild, then perhaps it's time for that person (or persons) to go - or perhaps time to find a new guild... just my thoughts.

If everyone else was actually just standing around doing nothing, not participating, you could have gone over to where they were idling and join them, or just leave the party/conflict couldn't you?

I've done just that numerous times in regular and random content...

Although I don't mind being the major force in a Stronghold, I'm no more inclined to let people act in a manner that I believe takes advantage of me there than I am in any other content.

I do understand what you were saying, you appeared unhappy that you were partied with a what you considered to be a bunch of 'leechers'... but then who isn't when something like that happens regardless of the content?

The two points I attempted to make was:

First - IF the other players were actually participating, I don't consider being the main force a bad thing, particularly in Stronghold...

Secondly - If something like this is a reoccurring thing and/or it bothers you excessively, perhaps it's time for someone (they, or worst case you) to find a new guild.

No disrespect intended.
    DD~
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    dionchi said:

dionchi said:

Actually I agree with the behavior you described being what I consider inconsiderate and unacceptable...

I did read what you described but thought you were speaking of just one person who left the group to do other things in the stronghold with the others standing around "chatting - etc." until the battle began.

dionchi said:

(However) If there is a person (or persons) in the guild that is attempting to take advantage of other people in the guild, then perhaps it's time for that person (or persons) to go - or perhaps time to find a new guild... just my thoughts.

If everyone else was actually just standing around doing nothing, not participating, you could have gone over to where they were idling and join them, or just leave the party/conflict couldn't you?

Although I don't mind being the major force in a Stronghold, I'm no more inclined to let people act in a manner that I believe takes advantage of me there than I am in any other content.

I do understand what you were saying, you appeared unhappy that you were partied with a what you considered to be a bunch of 'leechers'... but then who isn't when something like that happens regardless of the content?

First - IF the other players were actually participating, I don't consider being the main force a bad thing, particularly in Stronghold...

Secondly - If something like this is a reoccurring thing and/or it bothers you excessively, perhaps it's time for someone (they, or worst case you) to find a new guild.

No disrespect intended.
    No, that was not what I mean to say.

In my description, no one did anything wrong. It is the game behaviour (not player behaviour) that was not right.

The other 4 members were waiting for dragons. They did not ask or expect or leech to get their quests completed. They are not leechers in any shape or form. Nobody is unhappy about getting 'bonus'. One person happened to go around to do SH quests on his own will (and I can be that person). He did nothing wrong neither. The dragon has not arrived yet. When it arrives, everybody will be there to kill the dragon. Nobody is taking advantage of anyone.

When people is grouping by for DF and wait for dragon, it is normal to stand around the site and wait for a few minutes. In that few minute, everyone can do something or nothing. or just run around to clean up a few SH quests. There is nothing abnormal.

I am not unhappy about previous SH quest behaviour. I actually am happy about that but just don't think the game behaviour is proper.

I don't party to do SH quest anyway except for DF once a while. Hence, I don't really care one way or other. My comment is more about pointing out the 'strange' game behaviour I described.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
  • Options

dionchi said:

dionchi said:

dionchi said:

No disrespect intended.
    No, that was not what I mean to say.

In my description, no one did anything wrong. It is the game behaviour (not player behaviour) that was not right.

The other 4 members were waiting for dragons. They did not ask or expect or leech to get their quests completed. They are not leechers in any shape or form. Nobody is unhappy about getting 'bonus'. One person happened to go around to do SH quests on his own will (and I can be that person). He did nothing wrong neither. The dragon has not arrived yet. When it arrives, everybody will be there to kill the dragon. Nobody is taking advantage of anyone.

When people is grouping by for DF and wait for dragon, it is normal to stand around the site and wait for a few minutes. In that few minute, everyone can do something or nothing. or just run around to clean up a few SH quests. There is nothing abnormal.

I am not unhappy about previous SH quest behaviour. I actually am happy about that but just don't think the game behaviour is proper.

I don't party to do SH quest anyway except for DF once a while. Hence, I don't really care one way or other. My comment is more about pointing out the 'strange' game behaviour I described.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me... it seems I completely misunderstood.

DD~
  • Options
    edited January 2019

It depends on the quest.
    This is how it worked before (several months ago or so):
    1. For "kill a Boss" quests (like Smith/Gorgon/etc.) you don't need to hit it at all, if anyone in party activates it and kills it everyone in the party gets a completion of that quest (assuming they have the quest).
    2. For "kill monsters" quests (like Beasts/Drakes/Spiders): I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think you needed to do some dmg in order get a completion (just like for HEs), but I don't remember ever missing a completion of Beasts/Drakes/Spiders even doing it in a full party, in fact that was always a very efficient way to do it (sometimes I've missed the HE completion, but never missed "kill monsters" quest completion).

2'. This is how "kill monsters" works now: if you are in a party then only your kills count for the completion of the quest (for example, we were just two in party and I think I killed like 20% of Drakes, but I didn't get a completion of quest, while my friend got completion for Drakes, but we both got Drake HE completion and the influence)

In other words, now the most efficient way to do "kill monsters" quests is solo only (which is weird for a multiplayer game).
    Post edited by robai#6206 on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    (oops, wrong button, deleted this post please)
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Has anybody checked how this works with "My only enemy is time". In the past I've used HEs to provide half the kills and if somebody else turned up, I teamed with them and their kills counted for me. Would be disappointed if this was no longer the case.
  • Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

2'. This is how "kill monsters" works now: if you are in a party then only your kills count for the completion of the quest (for example, we were just two in party and I think I killed like 20% of Drakes, but I didn't get a completion of quest, while my friend got completion for Drakes, but we both got Drake HE completion and the influence)

This was not my observation doing Builder quests and HE's in the Stronghold just on 20 Jan. My wife and I were grouped. She was on a warlock for four different runs (yes, four warlocks), while I was on a cleric, wizard, GF, or rogue for those four runs. We both used every power in our arsenals. We both got completions for the "Kill 20 Drakes", "Kill 20 Spiders", and "Kill 10 Beasts" quests. She solo'd the "Devils in the Hideaway" quest, while I engaged the small HE right near there (and then joined me to complete the HE). We both got completion for the "Devils in the Hideaway" and the small HE. We never had a problem getting credit for completing the HE's or the other quests. And her main is a 15.8k warlock, while all the characters I was running were 7k to 9k, except the wizard who is at 11k.

Has anybody checked how this works with "My only enemy is time". In the past I've used HEs to provide half the kills and if somebody else turned up, I teamed with them and their kills counted for me. Would be disappointed if this was no longer the case.

My wife and I had this quest this weekend. We were in relatively close proximity to each other. She started killing things at the waterfall and moved toward the Lumberyard, while I started killing spiders back by where Argemius the Cyclops spawns and worked toward the Lumberyard. We both got credit for all the kills and met up where the small spider attack HE spawns. We ran that quest like that four times with no problems.

• Options

This was not my observation doing Builder quests and HE's in the Stronghold just on 20 Jan. My wife and I were grouped. She was on a warlock for four different runs (yes, four warlocks), while I was on a cleric, wizard, GF, or rogue for those four runs. We both used every power in our arsenals. We both got completions for the "Kill 20 Drakes", "Kill 20 Spiders", and "Kill 10 Beasts" quests. She solo'd the "Devils in the Hideaway" quest, while I engaged the small HE right near there (and then joined me to complete the HE). We both got completion for the "Devils in the Hideaway" and the small HE. We never had a problem getting credit for completing the HE's or the other quests. And her main is a 15.8k warlock, while all the characters I was running were 7k to 9k, except the wizard who is at 11k.

Thank you for this info, I guess I ran into some rare situation then (I'll test again when I have time for it).
    As for HE, you need to do some dmg (I guess 1% or so) in order to get a completion (1 hit is not enough, because I remember sometimes missing HE completions on my lvl 10-20 toons while doing several hits, the dmg was very low since they didn't have proper weapons).

• Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

Thank you for this info, I guess I ran into some rare situation then (I'll test again when I have time for it).
    As for HE, you need to do some dmg (I guess 1% or so) in order to get a completion (1 hit is not enough, because I remember sometimes missing HE completions on my lvl 10-20 toons while doing several hits, the dmg was very low since they didn't have proper weapons).

You're welcome. I suspect that proximity might have something to do with it. What I mean is, I suspect that you can't be clear across the SH from each other and have to be in the same general area.

You're that you have to do some damage to get HE completion credit. Sometimes my wife has to AFK while we're running these. I have her go on auto-follow and her soul puppet and companion together do enough damage for her to get credit.