test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Defense, Deflect, Block and Damage taken

nihlocke#5890 nihlocke Member Posts: 69 Arc User
I'm getting my GF all equipped and getting him his campaing boons, so I'd like to make him tank soon, without making a fool of myself.

I need some explanations about defensive stats and mechanics.

Namely, I know that:

Damage Resistance caps at 80% (or rather 95%, when dealing with mobs with their 15% armorpen).

Deflect (for a GF) halves damage taken, so that would be another 50% damage off if I deflect.

Blocking (shift) reduces incoming damage by 80%.

Let's say I'm tanking with my GF. I got a powesharing acdc and op, so our power is quite high. Let's also say that everyone in the party has the Sheperd's Devotion mount insigna bonus and that everyone can fire off a daily every 9-10 seconds, so that's 5 stacks of Sheperd with two powersharers. (by the way, everyone should have Sheperd's on their toons)
That would mean that I got my Damage Resistance capped, my Deflect at 100% chance and I still gotta raise my shield. Since we can Deflect while Blocking, I can have capped damage resistance, deflect and can also block.

If i also block, do i get all three damage reductions? I mean, 80% from block, 80% from damage resistance and 50% from a successful deflect, thus taking something like 2% of the incoming damage?

I mean, a monster attacks me, I block 80% of the damage with my shield, so that's 20% remaining.
I also deflect, so 50% off 20% is 10% of the initial hit.
I got capped Damage Resistance, so that's another 80% off that 10% off the initial hit, which results in 2% damage taken after all those layers of defense.

Does it work that way?

Comments

• vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited December 2018

If i also block, do i get all three damage reductions? I mean, 80% from block, 80% from damage resistance and 50% from a successful deflect, thus taking something like 2% of the incoming damage?

Yes.

Furthermore, if you use Foehammer's Favour Elixir, this increases your deflect severity by 10%, hence you would only take 1.6% damage in the above scenario.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • nihlocke#5890 nihlocke Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    vordayn said:

Yes.

Furthermore, if you use Foehammer's Favour Elixir, this increases your deflect severity by 10%, hence you would only take 1.6% damage in the above scenario.

Well, that's a lot less damage for my GF to eat.

If we wanted to reduce the damage even further, just out of spite for the poor mobs trying to caress us, what could we add in the mix, without resorting to debuffs?

I mean, would DCs' Divine Glow, Hallowed Ground and Anointed Army or Paladins' daily bubbles, Sacred Ground or Bane make that 1,6% of the initial damage even lower?

• vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited December 2018

vordayn said:

Yes.

Well, that's a lot less damage for my GF to eat.

If we wanted to reduce the damage even further, just out of spite for the poor mobs trying to caress us, what could we add in the mix, without resorting to debuffs?

I mean, would DCs' Divine Glow, Hallowed Ground and Anointed Army or Paladins' daily bubbles, Sacred Ground or Bane make that 1,6% of the initial damage even lower?

Things which will reduce the above damage even further:
    1. Anything which debuffs the enemy's damage will make the initial damage even lower e.g. Feytouched enchantment, Bane, Divine Glow or other debuffing powers
    2. Any temp HP or damage absorbed is taken before it eats into your HP e.g. Take Measure's GF feat, DC's Anointed Army and Divine Intervention, OP's Daily bubbles etc
    Hallowed Ground works in the Defense mitigation stage, so won't lower the 1.6% any further.

Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    vordayn said:

1. Anything which debuffs the enemy's damage will make the initial damage even lower e.g. Feytouched enchantment, Bane, Divine Glow or other debuffing powers
    2. Any temp HP or damage absorbed is taken before it eats into your HP e.g. Take Measure's GF feat, DC's Anointed Army and Divine Intervention, OP's Daily bubbles etc
    Hallowed Ground works in the Defense mitigation stage, so won't lower the 1.6% any further.

Ok, so I'm out of luck if I wanted a buff that lowers incoming damage even more.
    Sometimes I get 0 damage taken during combat, as in a yellow 0 flying above my head. Does it mean temp hp or Anointed Army has eaten that 1,6% completely, or is there something else? I want my Reckless Attacker stacks to build up and also want some damage for my Martial Mastery to work with (Tactician Build).

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Masterwork Set does reduce incoming damage by 2% for each party members that has the set, doesn't it?

I guess this counts as a separated mitigation not a part of DR.

Masterwork Set does reduce incoming damage by 2% for each party members that has the set, doesn't it?

I guess this counts as a separated mitigation not a part of DR.

That sounds like it would be part of DR, not an additional layer. Dunno if anybody tested that.

• leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    @nihlocke Knight's Valor can help, Shield of Faith blocks 30% of all dmg, also Divine Protector. in theory you can have both divine protector and shield of faith at once from 1 paladin if he stacks recovery. Meaning you would take 0,224% dmg. There is alose divine touch and AA that reduces by flat ammount, could make you take 0 dmg.
    leonidrex said:

@nihlocke Knight's Valor can help, Shield of Faith blocks 30% of all dmg, also Divine Protector. in theory you can have both divine protector and shield of faith at once from 1 paladin if he stacks recovery. Meaning you would take 0,224% dmg. There is alose divine touch and AA that reduces by flat ammount, could make you take 0 dmg.

Judging by the phrasing, I'd say Shield of Faith counts as a DR source, but maybe that's another 30% layer. On the other hand, Knight's Valor and Divine Protector sound like a whole different concept, as in "take some of what's left of the damage the other players would take and eat it yourself (and then reduce that damage on you)". And then, there's AA for that "reduce each target's damage taken by 20% of their maximum hit points". After all those layers of protections, I really can't imagine anything dealing more than those 20% hp to anyone in the party (except Tiamat's Blue Head thunderbreath).

Dunno about Divine Protector, since I've never seen it used even once.
  • eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    I know it's a laughable set now but earthen set lower the damage you take Also the Valhalla set? Just curious. I wanna know what's the maximum amount of tankiness one can achieve. It'll be good for something like hc cr
  • leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User

leonidrex said:

Judging by the phrasing, I'd say Shield of Faith counts as a DR source, but maybe that's another 30% layer. On the other hand, Knight's Valor and Divine Protector sound like a whole different concept, as in "take some of what's left of the damage the other players would take and eat it yourself (and then reduce that damage on you)". And then, there's AA for that "reduce each target's damage taken by 20% of their maximum hit points". After all those layers of protections, I really can't imagine anything dealing more than those 20% hp to anyone in the party (except Tiamat's Blue Head thunderbreath).

Dunno about Divine Protector, since I've never seen it used even once.
    Tbh wording in this game is goofy. if you are to take 25% less dmg you should take 25% less dmg. not get 25% damage resistance. it should be stated properly. As for shield of faith, it is indeed additional layer of 30%, combined with long uptime, its really good.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    If you take the feat armor specialization you need can the defense you have on your character a little.

For instance if you have 20K defense and have 3 points into armor specialization your base defense is 23K and not 20K which equates to a bonus of 7.5% to your DR. AC is the same, if you have 30 base you actually have 34.5 AC and gain additional 2.25% DR.

What I do is aim for 100% DR with armor specialization in mind or around 85% base. This than allows you to put points into other defensive stats, such as HP, lifesteal and deflect.

If you are going to play as a Tac GF for group content I also highly recommend the dancing shield for its debuff and it will provide additional defense and deflection. I run all offensive companion gear and enchantments on my companion due to defensive and deflection gains I get from my dancing shield with bonding.

If you are trying to avoid as much damage as possible there are boons that can provide some shielding and others that would be useless to a true GF due to the high DR most Tac GF already have from enchantments.

• divectoredivectore Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Anointed army absorbs an amount of damage and a HR with primal instincts will give you 30% with 5 stacks of boar hide: "mitigation" which is a layer of damage resistance