test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WIZARD or WARLOCK - what is better choice.

Hello,
I am new player of NW, It will be my first serious (I wish) build so I need good PVE DPS (but PVP capabilities are also important for future) . I am thinking about Wizard or Warlock what is better? I will mainly play alone or with random parties.
Looking for answers from experienced players who plays both classes, please help.

Comments

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    DPS CW is a lot more effort than you may think.

If you enjoy SW, go for it. SW is a lot more bulky than the CW and offers lazy support if you have a superior party member to buff up. SW is one of the easier classes to plow through the single player content. Swapping from DPS spec to support is easy.
  • Options
    avisek#7355 avisek Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    thanks, but how about pvp? (on max lvl) what will you choose for it, sw or cw?
  • Options
    flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    CW master of flame is fun

Warlock - once you get the initial keystrokes down -- is just -- - well --- a blast
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    You should create one of each and try both of them out and decide. Do not even think about PvP - pre-level 60 it's kinda fun, but after you hit 60, and especially once you hit 70 - unless you plan to invest HEAVILY in the game ($$$) then don't bother for a year at least - it will take you AT LEAST that long to be competitive in PvP. You'll need all boons, a level 20 Guild, and 16K IL to even think about being competitive in any real sense. Yes yes, some people will say they're competitive earlier with less gear... and maybe so, but those people are in a very small minority, assuming they're even telling the truth. As a brand new player to NW, my advice is not to focus at all on PvP unless you're willing to pour hundreds (maybe thousands... no joke) into the game to gear up fast. If you are - great! thanks for keeping it free for me! - if not... don't bother. Enjoy under-60 pvp, it's kind of balanced (as balanced as pvp gets in Neverwinter anyway), then forget about it once you level up.

As far as classes go - I'm biased as I've played a CW since the beginning and love it (I have 22 toons with 2 or 3 toons of every class - CW is still my favorite, but SW and, interestingly, TR round out my top 3). Like any class, it takes getting used to but I happen to really enjoy it. I enjoy SWs quite a bit. Both classes can be buff/debuff builds or DPS builds and both are VERY effective at either role, just in different ways. SW also has a good healer build due to the lifesteal sharing in the Temptation path, but really no one looks to SW to be the party healer (though templock as they're called do make for a good solo-play build).

At the end of the day, you should give both a try and decide which one you like most. Classes tend to click with people, so don't be afraid early on to delete a toon and start over until you find the class that works best for you. If you like ranged fighting, make sure to test out Hunter Ranger and Devoted Cleric too, you might be surprised.
  • Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I have a CW and a SW (and one of each of the other classes). The way both of those classes plays is completely different. SW fits my playstyle better than CW, and I don't enjoy CW very much. So it may end up not mattering to you which is "best" if the one that is generally agreed to be "best" doesn't fit your playstyle.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Whichever you enjoy playing the most is the best choice for you.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    I agree with others, depends on how you like playing. IMHO, I think the SW has more diversity right now in that in solo you can run with a puppet master to survive better and switch to a more supporting build during group runs. Also, SW are FAST!!! Not only do you have the fastest of the move mech but you also have feats and class features that you can set during solo that just make you a speed demon.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I have both, but the SW is strong right out of the gate, while the CW is slow exponential curve to the same result. SW has benefits of both companion and soul puppet. If you run a soul binder build, you also get Immolation Spirits as well. My CW wizard runs a pretty standard freeze, disintegrate, steal time and shield on my TAB. The benefit is the mastered power on TAB key adds another power to your build. Another player in my guild runs the disintegrate on the TAB. Pitmonster is correct about the SW movement, holding shift allows a fly animation akin to the one in the movie "Warlock" (1989). The CW will "feel squishy" at first but with the right companion, armor, and build they can be just as devastating.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    @greywynd said it the best.

I main an SW, and have had her since the class was introduced.

I have swapped around from time to time and do have a CW alt.

But, the most fun I have is playing my SW.
    When she is solo'ing I prefer a Fury build.
    I also have a Tempation build for certain end-game dungeons.
    But I do run Fury in some of them too.