test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seems the Cleric class is definitely not a cleric

leasmleasm Member Posts: 16 Arc User
So, everyone is saying the Devoted Cleric class is not a real cleric, since healing is pointless, and in fact it's a buffer.

Only now I've noticed this was intended from the start by the devs, and we can see it in the very first quest in the game. The Cleric is definitely not a cleric in the lore, as you can see below.

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Sure, that poor just said a rank 1 cleric is not a cleric. A person who just admits to medical school is not a doctor. Rank 1 DC has no healing skill.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    leasmleasm Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    > @plasticbat said:
    > Sure, that poor just said a rank 1 cleric is not a cleric. A person who just admits to medical school is not a doctor. Rank 1 DC has no healing skill.

Makes sense :)
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    On a more serious note, the cleric was indeed intended as a healer by the devs, in fact it still is as they are still have a ton of features that are healing related and they still are grouping the cleric as a healer for the queues.

It looks pointless but I am still hoping after all these years that they will finally fix the incredibly broken healing imbalance (and other game features) in this game and have clerics, as in real clerics, in the game.
  • Options
    constantmule#4943 constantmule Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    as a CW, i would love for clerics to heal more lol..i can actually roll out a hell of a lot of dmg if im sandwiched between a cleric and a pally.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Originally (before OPs and SWs) healing was much more relevant, but I don't think many DCs would want to go back to the healbot days.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited October 2018

as a CW, i would love for clerics to heal more lol..i can actually roll out a hell of a lot of dmg if im sandwiched between a cleric and a pally.

Clerics would love for CWs to deal more damage (as would the CWs themselves), but that, like the viability of cleric healing, is a game design issue.

If you want a dedicated healer for content that actually needs one, grab a Templock or a Devo OP; otherwise the heals that ACs splash around with Divine Glow and the Repurpose Soul byproduct heals of DO DPS do just fine.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Clerics in D&D of yore could also be melee powerhouses - smashing things (with bonuses against skeletal undead) with their mace or magical hammer, or any blunt melee weapon. They could self-buff and party-buff, and could function as an off-fighter class if the primary fighters were dead. They were also capable of great feats of healing if specced for it, and raise or resurrect the dead. They also had a shadow side where they could drain life instead with touch.

Early mods, clerics were *the* healers. Then came Devo Paladins, and now Temp Warlocks. Paladins in D&D used to only be able to access early level divine spells, and lay on hands once per day, but now they have multiple looping healing feats and stronger healing dailies than our Devoted Clerics have. Temp Warlocks siphon enemy life to bolster allies - this should be more akin to temp healing, as it is sort of 'patchwork' life augmentation (however, there is no detraction from their healing i.e. their healed targets are not transmuted to something more infernal).

The limitations of these classes are brought to the fore in Neverwinter, as it is a fast paced action MMORPG, hence, a little bit less true to class favour due to limitations of complexity, while still bearing somewhat of a resemblance; the flipside is that it has an exciting battle mode.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR