test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Foundry Publishing Available?

jennutjennut Member Posts: 16 Arc User
Hello!

I'm trying to publish my first quest, but nothing is happening. I've hit the Publish button 4 times in the last 24 hours. After the confirmation yes/no message, a short message appears that the quest is publishing . Then it goes to "Starting quest publish". After about 2 minutes, that disappears, and the publish button is gray. The Pre-publish Task List still says "Ready to publish!".

At first I figured this was fine, because it said it's a server side operation; however, after several hours, the Publish button became available to click again. I could not find the quest anywhere available publicly.

Is there something I should have done to make it Publish? Does this indicate some error, or is the Foundry down for publishing?

This got me thinking, what happens when a quest is published (as in, error/success messages)? How do I get notified it's public (or if it's broken)? How long does it take?

Answers to any of these questions would be really helpful! It was a tough decision to finally hit the publish button (I'm talking a couple years!), so I was a little surprised when nothing happened.

EDIT: Five minutes after I posted this, it published! I saw home page had a last published date. Hooray!!!! :blush:
Post edited by jennut on

Comments

• Options
    waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    hey ,
    Glad to see you were able to publish.
    Things to know about publishing:
    1) The time it takes to publish varies. From how fast your internet connection is, to how large a quest it is, to how fast the foundry server it working that day. Can be a few minutes, or a few hours.
    2) Once you click "publish" you have to let it sit and wait until it's complete. Exiting the project to work on another or switching to play Neverwinter while you wait, well, are not options. It is what it is. You are stuck waiting or you risk it kicking back and not publishing.
    3) You will know it is published from watching your home page. No other way. When it says it is published and gives you the code NW-********* , that's official and officially live for others to play. So you periodically have to check back to that screen to see when publishing is completed.
    4) Every time there is a new mod release, guess what? You may have to republish it, more often than not. If it's been featured you don't, the system uploads it automatically when the foundry comes back online. Your quest code won't change, just get in the habit of checking the catalog to see if luck was on your side or else go manually publish again.

The only time publishing is not available is when you have tasks or conflicts to complete/resolve for your quest. And if the foundry is down entirely, like after a new mod launch. Being able to create/work on a quest goes hand in hand with ability to publish, as all foundry operations are on side servers separate from the main game. If there was some other time/way to be able to edit but not publish, I honestly can't remember. :)
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • Options
    polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    Hello, on Drider Foundry still not working.

Who know when it opens?

No sense to ask it in ru_support they all the time repeat 'we can't know'
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• Options
    jennutjennut Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Thanks, waryur! That is very helpful information. I guess it makes sense to list it on the home page after it publishes. It's really nice to have instant feedback from the task and conflict resolution notices. Now that I've gotten comfortable hitting the Publish button, the time it takes for each publish varies quite a bit, but it's much faster now.

I didn't realize at all that I may need to republish after new launches. I really appreciate that lookout!