test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TONG mistake: DC takes ball duty with SW in group

utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
edited June 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok, so I joined a TONG mid-run just before Orcus. Having not done TONG for a while and accustomed to doing ball duty when playing DO (rarely had SW in group), I grabbed it without thinking. This was after swapping in PoD at campfire and no one had taken right yet. I tried to cancel when I realized I should leave to the SW, but was too late. The other DC gets upset and I apologized for the mistake, but he just continues to lay into me like I committed some horrible crime. Am I missing something here? Other than the fact that the SW is the better choice and I can focus on buff/debuff (overpowered group anyways - only needed to grab ball once), what was so grievous about that? (other than the obvious "you should have known better") This is a serious question. Is there more to this than I realize?
Post edited by utookmynick on

Comments

• Options
    demolitioninc#2453 demolitioninc Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    DO is a good choice for balls, AC-DC must stay close to DPS for power share.
    Put that guy on your ignore list and forget about him.
    1. PzkwVI_Kingtiger - GWF
    2. PMS-Extreme - Moffus Debuffos
    3. Tiamat's Toyboy - OP
    4. Rent-A-DC - 1 GMOP per 30 minutes
    5. Officer at Civil Anarchy, Member of Fabled Alliance
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I would say it is very natural for a DO DC to be on ball duty. It is a bad choice for an AC DC as he has to stay close to the group, but the DO can be just as effective while running around. Perhaps you have to be careful about your positioning when casting Empowered BtS, as that affects "nearby allies", but that's it.

Personally, well..I have done somewhere around 200 ToNG runs, 95% of them as a DO DC (the remaining 5% as AC DC), and when I'm the DO, I handle the balls maybe 90% of the time.

A SW is not a bad choice for ball duty, but I don't see any real reason why a DO DC cannot do it just as well, without losing efficiency.

In short, I don't consider this a "mistake".
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Some people are very serious about their balls. They only want the right person to grab them. ;-)

Also, I was at campfire for a while to swap in PoD. When I got to the alter, only mid was taken, so I just assumed I should take left.
    adinosii said:

I don't see any real reason why a DO DC cannot do it just as well

Other DC said I was "taking dps away from the group." I took that to mean, it affects my rotation if I have to chase balls down. Which I agree, of course.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

• Options
    zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    It affects anyone's rotation though so no matter what the interception of a ball "takes dps away" as no matter who is doing it someone isn't casting a buffing or damaging spell/power when they are chasing a ball down. The effect is minimal though, especially in an overpowered group, as long as you don't do something really stupid like take balls as the only DPS character in the group or the tank.
  • Options

It affects anyone's rotation though so no matter what the interception of a ball "takes dps away" as no matter who is doing it someone isn't casting a buffing or damaging spell/power when they are chasing a ball down. The effect is minimal though, especially in an overpowered group, as long as you don't do something really stupid like take balls as the only DPS character in the group or the tank.

That's exactly what I thought too. As long as it isn't tank or main DPS, it falls upon whoever is most comfortable with doing it. Since no one was standing in front of it when I got there, I thought I'd do it and get this fight started. That's why I was so baffled by the other DC's reaction.
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I main an SW, and I always try to take ball duty when running in TONG.

Well... as an SW HB, I can use Dreadtheft while intercepting a ball.. unless I have to shadowslip to it...
    As long as I'm paying attention and drop Pillar of Power at Orcus' feet for the tank and main dps... I can range outside and use Dreadtheft while moving to intercept.

But, if a DC wants to take it.. I don't complain.. we are team after all :)
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    OP tank can take the balls in a lower damage group to ensure they have enough time to finish. It isnt optimal since Orcus will start going for walkies but it does work.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother