test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you have to fish to advance in Icewind Dale Campaign?

I just started the sea of floting ice, and I have spent more than 1 hour on the first fishing quest, and I have yet to land a damn fish. If this becomes another Elemantal Evil "Kill X number of monters running in the same dungeons over and over". Then I have no desire to fish.

If I miss out on some artifact, so be it, as long as I can progress and complete the campaign. I passed on the fire longsword after running 8 HE's with no motes dropped. I do not get much playing time in a day, and I do not want to spend it fighting with this stupid "Right left, Back" BS. This is not Street Fighter... I likely wrks better on a console, but 1 hour on what looks to become a daily quest is not reasonable.

I do not want to abandon IWD, but I am also not wasting time advancing it only to find I am stuck because I cannot get the fishing to work, at least in a timely manner.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,112 Arc User
    SoMI isn't Icewind Dale campaign. It is Storm King's Thunder.

SoMI does require some fishing. Look for blue circles on the water where fish are jumping and there are birds circling overhead.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,270 Arc User

I just started the sea of floting ice, and I have spent more than 1 hour on the first fishing quest, and I have yet to land a damn fish. If this becomes another Elemantal Evil "Kill X number of monters running in the same dungeons over and over". Then I have no desire to fish.

If I miss out on some artifact, so be it, as long as I can progress and complete the campaign. I passed on the fire longsword after running 8 HE's with no motes dropped. I do not get much playing time in a day, and I do not want to spend it fighting with this stupid "Right left, Back" BS. This is not Street Fighter... I likely wrks better on a console, but 1 hour on what looks to become a daily quest is not reasonable.

I do not want to abandon IWD, but I am also not wasting time advancing it only to find I am stuck because I cannot get the fishing to work, at least in a timely manner.

If you spend an hour and could not land one fish, you did something wrong.

It could be:

1. you were not in the fishing area. Look at the sky and if you see a bunch of birds, down under there is a circle. Fish there.
    2. you were in the right place but fail to get a fish. That may mean you don't know the mechanic. You need to hold the button. You cannot tap the button. Hold the button. When the button changes, release the previous button ASAP and hold the next button. It is more important to release the button quickly than holding the button quickly.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    richardttu#3808 richardttu Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thanks for the resposes. My left hand does not work so well, and switiching buttons trying to reel them in is a struggle, causing me to time out and lose it.....
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,270 Arc User

Thanks for the resposes. My left hand does not work so well, and switiching buttons trying to reel them in is a struggle, causing me to time out and lose it.....

Releasing the button fast is important. You don't have to push the button fast. Take your time to find the button to press.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    spelldazerspelldazer Member Posts: 315 Arc User
    @richardttu#3808 Don't worry about the fishing. Not worth it.
    Fishing gives you three things:
    +An achievement - very optional
    +Campaign currency to open chests in msva - kinda pointless now but you can simply use legendary dragon keys if you want the Jarl's Gaze for example
    +Treasure maps that give you campaign resources and equipment - purple fishing rod and kayak - plus rp. You can buy the maps off of other players or from the auction house. No need to fish them yourself.

I don't remember if you need to complete the fishing assignment once in order to unlock the zone. If so and you don't want to buy out the campaign maybe ask someone to help you with the fishing just for that one time.

As a rule, I only play content I enjoy. Took me 2 years to complete IWD and most of my alts don't do it. Same for mod10 content. I would rather grind elemental evil 3 times than deal with that sea of moving ice. I completed it on my main because my guild helped, or I would have skipped it and waited to buy it out like I did for my pally.

Good luck!