test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beginner Quesions

stollebub#2468 stollebub Member Posts: 17 Arc User
Hi,

1. just curious what is more effective regarding damage...is it better to have 30 k power and 10 armor pen or to have 20 k power and 20 k armor pen?

2. which defensive boon is better for pvp? hp or defense boon? And why?

thanks in adavance

Comments

• Options
    designedbyrng#4319 designedbyrng Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    1. depends on enemy damage resistance. Damage resistance is directly reduced by resistance ignored and caps at blocking 80% of the original damage. What this means is that if your opponent has 150% damage resistance, you will deal 20% of your normal damage to them. If you then gain 100% resistance ignored, you will deal 50% of your normal damage to them. Most enemies in PVE have around or below 40%, while enemies in higher dungeons have up to 60%. Finally enemies in the most recent Tomb of the Nine Gods and Cradle of the Death God, those have 85% damage resistance. This means that to be most efficient, you need 40% resistance ignore in most content, at 60% in Castle Never and FBI style dungeons, and 85% in tomb of the nine. Armor pen is almost always more efficient than any other stat until you bypass your opponent's entire pool of damage resistance.

2. Usually hit points. Few reasons. Hit points scale several powerful effects. Hit points tend to have a better value in effective HP, since damage resistance isn't even that great of a ratio. That being said, most opponents either deal piercing damage (bypassing damage resistance and deflection entirely), or run around with 150-200% resistance ignored.
  • Options
    your answer is more pve oriented, isnt it? So most good pvp'ers use hp boon? That would mean they have less dr and therefore I wouldnt need that much armor pen or am I wrong?
  • Options
    Sorry, I missed that it was actually in the PVP discussion. It depends entirely on your opponent. Some classes get a ton of free damage resistance. Some have basically none. The best way to handle it, is to find somewhere in the middle, and then use your stronghold boons and easily swappable gear to switch between higher armor pen or higher power.

You can get a lot of free damage resistance, so be careful thinking you don't need much armor pen. Armor Pen is very very powerful if you haven't pierced their resistance yet.
  • Options
    azaylin#1903 azaylin Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    The boon is the small piece ... Paladins and GF's Each have other methods to reduce dmg. Aka sheild up on GF 80%dmg resist. There are other feats and encounters that also boost dmg resist that are not usually used in pve that many use in pvp. Aka +50% Absolution temp hps and dmg resist. Running a negation (40% dmg resist at 10stacks) or Shadowclad (32%dmg resist until deflect) etc.

Usually making the better option to stack Armpen over power. All depends on who your fighting against. If you have access to boons stack that armpen on your gear you can switch from the power boon to Ampen boon mid fight depending what your up against.

You are starting to dive into the secrets of pvp that most won't discuss outside their circle of friends/teammates. Everyone wants and edge on the competition.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    aaand we still dont know what class you play so how are we supposed to give feedback on pvp secrets then and what you need ...how much you need of what is directly related to what class you are playing all this generic advice offered so far is semi useless until your class is established and a build can be custom tallier ed to you depending on your enchants and mount selection and current guild boons
  • Options
    khandran#2092 khandran Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Just asking to compare HP and defense is shortsighted. You ignore the others ones as if they are irrelevant. lifesteal works wonders for some classes. Deflection as has been said dozens of times on this forum has a special role not only for cutting damage but also the crazy cc we seee this mod. even non tank classes can reach deflection of 40-50 pct and severity 60% for example...and even....one non tank class can get 100% deflection chance.
  • Options

You ignore the others ones as if they are irrelevant. lifesteal works wonders for some classes. Deflection as has been said dozens of times on this forum has a special role not only for cutting damage but also the crazy cc we seee this mod. even non tank classes can reach deflection of 40-50 pct and severity 60% for example...and even....one non tank class can get 100% deflection chance.

Could you point me to which structure gives the deflection boon? :trollface:

Defense vs. HP boons... boon being the keyword here
  • Options
    sirrapprosirrappro Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    What class do you play lol. That's very important to answer the question
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    group stat guild bonus boon gives deflection at its first tier even if you are not in a group and more stats if you are
  • Options
    kalina311 said:

group stat guild bonus boon gives deflection at its first tier even if you are not in a group and more stats if you are

Doesn't the whole boon turn off if you die though?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    umm simple answer no

long answer only if the whole group took it for 5 different benefits that it gives (+2500 power armor pen recovery deflect etc) and switched and you died then you would lose it. Each (additional persone using it adds another effect it does not increase the deflect from 2500 tho .. only adds more stats that are also 2500 ..the description is kinda confusing and bugged / wrong wording

if you are alone in pvp and with no guildies in proximity at campfire you only get the first level of the boon which is +2500 deflect
    which you can switch from power or armor pen if you are in trouble and wanna go defensive mode
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • Options
    I play a gf, but far away from being bis lol so please dont bash me (I know that gf's dont have a good reputation here haha)

"You are starting to dive into the secrets of pvp that most won't discuss outside..." lol ok is it really such a secret? I thought that it would be just a stupid question

So if u were a gf what would u prefer? 30 k power and 10 k arm pen or 20 k power and 20 k arm pen? I hope that some of u can tell the deep secrets of neverwinters pvp
  • Options
    khandran#2092 khandran Member Posts: 67 Arc User

You ignore the others ones as if they are irrelevant. lifesteal works wonders for some classes. Deflection as has been said dozens of times on this forum has a special role not only for cutting damage but also the crazy cc we seee this mod. even non tank classes can reach deflection of 40-50 pct and severity 60% for example...and even....one non tank class can get 100% deflection chance.

Could you point me to which structure gives the deflection boon? :trollface:

Defense vs. HP boons... boon being the keyword here
    Yes deflect boon as in 8000k defelct does not exist but lifesteal does. And some defensive boons interact better with others so question like if I have built high deflect on toon: do I want more HP or defense? these questions matter.