test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Change that needs to happen in this game

inyawayupdeepinyawayupdeep Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 206 Arc User
This game needs to address the Random Number Generator (RNG) used for refining. The game is having the fun sucked out of it by the failure rates in get items refined. I'm not saying that failing 80 times on a three percent chance of success can't happen, I'm saying that it shouldn't happen.

The entire game is about Character progression and refining is a big part of that progression. Failing to get anything at all when you've gone past what the game says it should take to get what you want makes the game sucky money pit >:) and makes us, the players unhappy :/ . The costs involved in refining are far too high to have this kind of thing happen.

It's infuriating :# and frustrating :s , I know because it just happened to me :o ... again :( and when it did I was thinking to myself; self, why do you waste time and money playing a game that is suppose to be fun :) and make you happy :D but instead makes you angry :# and frustrated :s ? I didn't have a good answer for that question, and the fact that I didn't should concern you a bit, because your jobs kind of hinge on us not having to ask ourselves that question in the first place, in short if we go away, you go away and none of us want that to happen.

The best possible solution I see is to remove the wards from the game and make the chance for success 100% all the time o:) , I know you won't consider that solution :| , its been suggested several times with no success probably because you look at refining as a revenue stream for the game, and the more we fail at refining the more money you make >:) .

You should reconsider this idea, recent changes in refining and enchantment levels and powers seem to have lost a large part of your player base :'( and with it a lot of income, would you please at least toy with the idea limiting the failure rate to the percentage chance currently used, such that if you have a 10 percent chance of success that the most you could possibly fail would be 9 times and that on the tenth time success would be automatic. it would go a long way to alleviate our frustrations with refining.

Comments

• Options
    archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    emoji limit reached, you must wait 3 years and 5 days before you can use another emoji.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    The amount of money they make from preservation wards is more-or-less fixed, since they are "the house" and will end up with very close to the expectation value that the RNG should deliver due to the very large number of upgrade attempts across all characters.

They get the same money whether that 3% chance burns an expected 33.3 preservation wards or burns a "Token of 3% Success" priced the same as 33.3 preservation wards.

In not providing such a token, the assumption is there is some benefit to the player (fun? chance of early success?) or that the effort to add that feature is too much for the expected player benefit.

Personally, I enjoy the randomness up to about 25% success chance. After that, it's just tedious.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    mysticmarksmysticmarks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    After years of playing, I'd simply like to see 1% per presward and you stack them up to 99%. *Minds blown*
    ;D~
    Sometimes you're your own best teacher. ~Me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User

This game needs to address the Random Number Generator (RNG) used for refining. The game is having the fun sucked out of it by the failure rates in get items refined. I'm not saying that failing 80 times on a three percent chance of success can't happen, I'm saying that it shouldn't happen.

The entire game is about Character progression and refining is a big part of that progression. Failing to get anything at all when you've gone past what the game says it should take to get what you want makes the game sucky money pit >:) and makes us, the players unhappy :/ . The costs involved in refining are far too high to have this kind of thing happen.

It's infuriating :# and frustrating :s , I know because it just happened to me :o ... again :( and when it did I was thinking to myself; self, why do you waste time and money playing a game that is suppose to be fun :) and make you happy :D but instead makes you angry :# and frustrated :s ? I didn't have a good answer for that question, and the fact that I didn't should concern you a bit, because your jobs kind of hinge on us not having to ask ourselves that question in the first place, in short if we go away, you go away and none of us want that to happen.

The best possible solution I see is to remove the wards from the game and make the chance for success 100% all the time o:) , I know you won't consider that solution :| , its been suggested several times with no success probably because you look at refining as a revenue stream for the game, and the more we fail at refining the more money you make >:) .

You should reconsider this idea, recent changes in refining and enchantment levels and powers seem to have lost a large part of your player base :'( and with it a lot of income, would you please at least toy with the idea limiting the failure rate to the percentage chance currently used, such that if you have a 10 percent chance of success that the most you could possibly fail would be 9 times and that on the tenth time success would be automatic. it would go a long way to alleviate our frustrations with refining.

But that's not how RNG works, on a 3% chance the odds of getting one or more successes in 80 attempts is 91%. You can decide if this reflects your experience. Honestly you will never win an argument about the RNG with cryptic because there is no way you can do enough attempts on live to make your results statistically significant (you would have to find out what RNG generator they use and prove that it's coded correctly and why). That's the trick and I'm confident they would never release that sort of information, nor do they probably even monitor it. If cryptic wanted to implement your final idea, they would have to reduce the percentage of success to ensure they get the same return from this source of funding. They can't give the benefit of not going over 10 attempts without reducing the chance of it landing below 10 attempts.

Now you could propose a "buyouts" solution where you opt to provide 10 pres wards on a 10% chance for a guaranteed success. In this scenario cryptics earning would not be impacted because they aren't giving you the chance for a less than 10 ward success. Their profits would be the same because the "buyouts" would provide the same rate of return as gamblers who take the RNG approach. I would be all for this, mostly because i hate the refinement process and anything to make it faster/easier is welcome.
  • Options
    I agree chance of early success is fun but going over what it should have taken 47 times at over 6000 AD per preservation ward and walking away with nothing to show for it doesn't do anything for the game, it just upsets players, when players aren't having fun they leave and when they quit the game they no longer support it financially, and everyone loses :'( ha ha one last emogee
  • Options
    Your post hit while I was doing mine. As I said originally it's not that results like that can't happen but that they shouldn't happen. They need to un-hamster this game before it's too late. They are still raking it in by upping enchantment levels especially on the newly improved messed up bonding stones with the one percent chance of success at top level. I'm tired of seeing friends leave the game. Just limit the failure rate, they could just add the chance of success to each failed attempt, so that if you fail at a 10 percent chance the next time you have a 20 percent chance, fail again have a 30 percent chance on and on till on the tenth attempt you have 100 percent chance, or just leave it at a flat 10 percent each time till the tenth attempt then let it be successful automatically.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    then they loose money, you must assume the ward system is a part of their income model. Maybe they could do as you say but they would have to readjust success %s accordingly. So 3% may have to become 1%, all 10% would have to move to 30%, etc so their income model on wards isn't effected. This wouldn't save you a penny, all your really looking at is having to press the submit button less times. So what's your real objective, to save $ or to reduce the effort to refine? Because saving yourself money doesn't pay for dev work. I doubt the percentage of people who leave the game over wards is small, I'm inclined to believe people care about content and when they feel the game isn't entertaining enough they are likely to look for that entertainment elsewhere
  • Options
    stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    People seriously need to learn about constrained randomness. Just letting a machine doom someone out of time or money is very Vegas, but also very annoying. That doesn't mean that you can't fail, it means that if someone gets too many "oh darns" without any "aww yeahs," they will rightfully walk away. Unless they're addicts.
  • Options
    rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    I don't gamble in general and I don't haggle either. Just tell me what the price is so I can save up and buy it. I hate random enchanting. Not sure why people find this fun.
  • Options
    Ever seen a movie where some poor ma and pa business is extorted by a gang that show up they ask the owners to they pay protection money so that nothing bad will happen to their business, nice place ya got here, sure would be terrible if it burnt to the ground. Ah Magnificent seven is a good example. Anyway after just blowing over 70 pres ward on a 5% chance of success ( 3 and a half times what the odds suggest it should take ) at 60 zen for ten about 420 zen, or at 6000 AD/pres ward 420,000 AD I think I can relate a bit to how it feels to be robbed. fix this system, it sucks, it isn't fun.
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Put a streakbreaker in. Record the number of times you've tried to upgrade each item, once it gets to say 2.5 times as many attempts as it should, automatic success.