test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New player help needed

mollymawkmollymawk Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I am a new player to neverwinter, first character is only lvl 32 and having recently queued for a few dungeon runs, I can say I find them most unpleasnt pointless experiances . I find myself runing all the time to catch other playes who are so powerful they seem to solo the entire place.. they dont need me, they also seem to be able to run faster than me, though that may be my short hobbit legs, they make dungeons look easier than the quests I've been doing. Bosses seem to be killed in one or two hits, if there wasn't the little pause where the short animation points out the boss, i would not even know there was one.

the quest npc'sare also too easy.. PVE combat seems trivially pointless to me so far with few challenges , if any.... I am starting to fail to see the point of it at all. I am what i expected to be a squishy class but i rarly take any significant damage.. my character hasn't died once or even been close.

I'm playing a trickster and though i have many powerful abilities, I don't seem to need them, I can defeat almost all the quest pnc's by throwing daggers at them . You can play it as a single ability character as far as i can tell. what is the point?

what am i doing wrong? I'm getting rather dishartened. Is there a dificulty setting I've missed that I can turn up. and are all dungeons done as a race where the npc don't even slow you down. and in many cases just fall into position at the back of the race running along beside you.

do any dungeons require communication and tactics or is it just fastest runner gets the to do the one-shot killing blow?

I have to say this is not what i expected or want, if end game is the same, I can't say i'm going to bother trying to get there.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Hiya - (second attempt to post on forum)

I am new to Neverwinter, (lvl 32 trickster hobbit) and I am struggling with a few aspects of the game. I hope you can advise.

1. Bag space - this seems very restrictive with tiny bags and the only upgrades I can see need Zen, I see the bags in the auction house are either very expensive or fake items disigned for scammers. do you all just endup putting real money in to make the game bareable?

2. Questing - the quests are good but they all involve PVE combat with No PVE combat chalenges, I must be doing this wrong. All these combat abilities and skill trees and so far I see very little need for them. almost all can be killed holding down one mouse button and rolling out of red zones. Is there a difficulty setting to make things harder/interesting?

3. Stealth, its not really stealth, more of a damage buff you load before jumping in, does stealth become more stealthy as I progess or is it just a bad skill choice.

4. Dungeons- I thought these would be harder requiring communication and tactics. So far doing a dungeon seems to involve chasing after the shiny quest path as fast as possible with little to no combat or problem solving. A Boss is identified by a small video clip, however this is the only clue to them being bosses and they seem to die with one hit from the person who can run fastest.. Everyone seems to run faster than me and the most i can contribute is occasionally throwing a dagger. Are all dungeons a joke? or do they actually require communicationm and team work later on do they have any difficulty at all? I think i must be missunderstanding what is going on as it all seems pointless to me at the moment. Not finding the fun so far.

4. Health potions: I seem to have loads of these but they are not in my bag slots. Where are they held? Also why do we need them when fights finish on full health all the time. I see little need for these so far so i'm thinking of just selling them to NPC's..

How do i make the game harder? I know that sounds big headed but honestly I'm a fat slow 50year old - I am not good at fighting.

Moderator Note: Merged thread eaten by spam queue. Leaving this second post as it contains more questions.
    Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    1> You get the 1 starting bag and 3 from quests. Blacklake, Third Eye Quest and Neverdeath. Beyond that, you have to buy. You can get Zen for the cash shop using in game currency with the ZAX (Zen Astral eXchange) and get more bags that way.

2> Difficulty increases as you level up. At 30, you a are likely either in Neverdeath or Helms Hold. Neither of those are difficult. Ebon Downs can be a bit harder because of the zombie hordes and after that Velosk and Pirate Skyhold become more challenging. TR does well in the early zones but layer ones require you to deal with more adds in the boss fights. If you are skillful, it never gets hardcore though.

3> Stealth got majorly nerfed a long time ago. Use it to auto crit and that will be it until yoh get higher level. Executioner and Saboteur paths will make it more useful. Did I leave out Scoundrel? So did thd Devs.

4> Leveling dungeons... also got nerfed. At your level, you should be doing Lair of the Mad Dragon, which was the first actually challenging dungeon... but it has been unavailable for quite some time. The remaining dungeons were reduced to 3 people in a group with no roles required, pretty much just rush ahead and kill. Also, some of the other people on your party may well be much higher level, and very much overpowered, removing what little challenge might remain. Real group content doesn't actually start until the later skirmishes but especially the epic dungeons.

4> They are in your belt slots, I imagine. Anything there does not show in your inventory but you can move them back ans forth. Healing pots are occasionally needed but at max level, you will rely mostly on Lifesteal. It doesn't work well at lower levels but in the endgame replaces most healing.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    very useful info .. thanks pitshade
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    If you want a better challenge for the dungeons - in your queue menu change to Private, click the highest dungeon you qualify for and hit queue. You'll enter all by yourself.

Anything before L70 is all about teaching you the game mechanics, the difficulty starts after this. You can get killed in one hit in L70 dungeons if you're not careful or with a decent team.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Currently, highly-geared players are incentivized to run the learning / leveling dungeon because there's an Astral Diamond reward for doing so. That messes up the experience for new players that actually want to play the dungeons. That incentive is going away in 2 weeks with the next module.

In the mean time, the suggestion to private queue with others around your level is a good one.

Joining a guild that accepts / encourages new players will help. (See my signature for one option)
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited October 2017

4. Health potions- health potions are automatically slotted onto your toolbar, bottom right of the screen. Double click them to move to inventory. These will become more useful later as you face more powerful enemies. at lower level, it is safe to sell these for gold
  • Options
    > @tripsofthrymr said:
    > Currently, highly-geared players are incentivized to run the learning / leveling dungeon because there's an Astral Diamond reward for doing so. That messes up the experience for new players that actually want to play the dungeons. That incentive is going away in 2 weeks with the next module.
    >

Err... has there been some additional change? As far as I see, the incentive for level 70s to run leveling dungeons is going to be increased substantially.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the info.. I've skipped some quest areas and I've bee questing on NPC's red to me some 5 levels above me.. not sure if this makes me level up faster but I'm now lvl 34.. Going to try the solo dungeon trick next, that sounds great idea.
  • Options
    Great tip with the dungeon queue!! I've just run the Cloak Tower on my own and it was far more enjoyable... looking forward to the end game hard stuff now.. I was ready to ditch the game there, thanks again guys
  • Options
    almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    Once you reach level 70, or before that, get into a friendly guild and run many dungeons. Salvage (convert into rough astral diamonds) items you won't need and pile up some AD. Create 2 characters for additional 36k rough AD conversion capacity, and add more char slots later.

Get a VIP month and open the most profitable box with your daily lockbox key (the one whose most items sell well, I open resurgence lockbox, but someone might know more).
    Sell everything you get from the lockbox, and by that I mean, sell the first box that drops from the lockbox without opening it! Do this until you gain 500k AD (VIP price without discounts, for people unlucky with coupons). Once you reached 500k AD, buy 1000 ZEN for the next VIP month.
    The rest of the VIP days/keys you have left, you can spend on your pleasure.

VIP pays itself and is worth having! Every freep can get it!
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    You aren't doing anything wrong. You're running into high level people too lazy to private queue their AD run.

What you can do, if you want the challenge, is private queue yourself. When you press K, the Private button at the top middle will allow you to solo any content in the list you qualify for.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I hope you don't mind but I linked your feedback about your dungeon experience to a feedback thread on purposed changes to the queuing process. I'm an end game player that tries to advocate for the little guy. It's a flaw of the game currently that you're put with level 70s that can 1 shot everything in sight in dungeons you'd like to explore. Soon they are going to be taking rewards out of the dungeon queue unless you're using random queue and above a certain item level and able to finish 2 somewhat tedious campaigns before you can try dungeoning. That means more people who are higher level will be in the leveling dungeon queue.

End game requires alot of time, dedication and communication between your team. I'm sorry to hear you are frustrated and quite frankly I completely understand why.

I would love to tell you don't worry about it but it's a concern right now as changes are coming to PC on 10/24 to affect dungeons in general.

EDIT: Linking the feedback Thread:

Official Feedback Thread: Random Queues
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    Solo dungeons seem the thing to fix dificulty.
    I just did Respers Marvelouse Game - That is hard work solo, far more like the thing i was hoping for, took me ages to kill the last boss, my arthritic fingers a sore, lol.

Do the later bosses hit any enrage limit when taking a long time?
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    Not exactly, although, if you do not kill the boss quickly enuff, they summon mob spawns to take you out.
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    Most bosses spawn mobs at a certain percentage of health. Doesn't really matter how fast you put them down
  • Options
    Update: Im level 60, not far to go now.. Mostly questing but also doing dungeon runs solo .. quest levels still confuse, ive just done one called "Vault of the Nine" and the npc's were level 70 , yet i was still able to solo all the bosses.
  • Options
    citoijen#8777 citoijen Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Just tried that vault with a lvl 63 TR first char in this game. Got to the Beholder but had no chance there; gave up and ported away....
  • Options
    > @mollymawk said:
    > Update: Im level 60, not far to go now.. Mostly questing but also doing dungeon runs solo .. quest levels still confuse, ive just done one called "Vault of the Nine" and the npc's were level 70 , yet i was still able to solo all the bosses.

Good job! That is solo content and it scaled you up to 70 while you were in there, but the scaling is notoriously poor so beating at level 60 is an accomplishment.