test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Soloing dungeons on TR?

spelldazerspelldazer Member Posts: 315 Arc User
Xbox player here. Been experimenting with the private queue. Tried Shores and Malabog's so far. My TR is 14.5k and has a Tenser's disc. I go through both dungeons quickly with 0 issues until final boss and then repeatedly die. I can get Garakas down to 50% before my companion dies and I get 1shot but in MC, Valindra grabs me through a Wheel's Wind buff and I die. Can we not do it without very specific builds, like tweaking control resist up high, using a specific companion or something? How do you do it?

Comments

• Options
    twitchdigit1twitchdigit1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    Itc helps a lot, if you can fit it into your rotation. If you don't have a lira's bell (or however you spell it), i'd suggest one to rez your companion every 2 mins if they die a bunch. If your guild has the defense or lifesteal boon, id switch to one of those at the bosses if possible. Just some general ideas that might help.

I can't speak for other TRs, but I use a variant of lilia drakon's build (i just went weird with the companions). I find Im able to solo etos, and all t1s so far if Ive got some time to waste (havent tried the other t2s yet). Well worth googling and checking it out, even if thats not your playstyle. Lots of TR handy info on there too.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. I will try Shores again with a bell. I have it stashed away somewhere. I suppose with a debuff companion I can do Garakas in. It's the Valindra mechanic that really has me stumped. How much control resist do you use to escape her death clutch? Or do you use something else?

My build is a variant on Drakon's too but I am holding off on upgrading companions until they make up their minds about bondings etc. Must say, with the nerf to WoB stacking and what not...TR is feeling more and more useless by the day. I used to be able to finish Garakas off. :-(
  • Options
    blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    For soloing you should build a bit more defensively than going the usual glass cannon. More Defense, HP and Lifesteal. It is mostly about positioning and dodging. We should be able to solo pretty much everything that is soloable, some end game content excluded such as Svardborg, mSP and Tomb. More Recovery can help you to keep ITC up more often.
    Garakas' aoe should not be able to ohko you, his other attack could if you dont have ITC on, dodge it or move behind him. Courage Breaker can lower his damage and if that doesnt help slot in Bloodbath.
    I never tried solo MC's last boss so not sure what works against Valindra's hand but here are few ideas. Stay inside Smoke Bomb, if it is enough to destroy the hand, i doubt cc resist helps against it, use Bloodbath to avoid it, maybe Oghma works against it... If nothing works use a Scroll of Life.
  • Options
    Hah hah. Yes, scrolls work but that's cheating. ;-)
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try again and update if/when successful.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I have only tried this once and it seemed to work on Val's hand in VT. As unlikely as it seems, my Whisperknife was able to reactivate Vengeance Pursuit while grabbed. It didn't free her, but suddenly she was able to attack the hand and kill it. Again, haven't tried to repeat it so maybe it doesn't normally work.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Something else that might be worth trying is to take all the boons that do damage to your attacker when you deflect. With ITC, even though it won't free you from the hand, you will automatically deflect all the hits while it is up.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • Options
    btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    In MC I don't believe it's a hand, it's a beam she shoots while you fight the Dragon. I don't think there is a way to get away from it or survive it, even if you have soulforged. You simply get killed as you rez by the Dragon.
  • Options
    Quick update - Garakas soloed repeatedly, no scrolls or healthstones. Thanks for all your suggestions. I swapped out my cockatrice for a black ice prospector. That gave my fire archon increased threat and gave me the splat resistance I was lacking.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    IIRC the Black Ice Prospector is or was bugged and adds to the player's threat while reducing the summoned pet's AOE damage. I think @rjc9000 is the one that said that.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    pitshade said:

IIRC the Black Ice Prospector is or was bugged and adds to the player's threat while reducing the summoned pet's AOE damage. I think @rjc9000 is the one that said that.

I remember Sharp was HAMSTER around on preview one day and noticed that his Blice Prospector was taking less damage. Then he realized the tooltip was reversed.

• Options
    Interesting. I wasn't using the prospector as my summoned pet, and it could very well be that the archon was taking less damage but either way it helped keep Garakas off of me for an extra second and that is all I needed. Works well in Chult too. Next solo challenge...ELOL! :-)
  • Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    I've completed quite a few solo normal and epic dungeons. The most trouble I've had is with the two crab bosses in LoL. Got one shot continuously, tried all sorts of changes of build/companions and still failed.

Any advice?
  • Options
    Funny you should ask... I just completed Lostmauth solo today. Did have to use a few healthstone charges and a scroll (yay for lag) though. I can post my setup later if that's of interest? In terms of tips...stay out of the red and try not to die! ;-)

What worked well for me on scorps (also No Sympathy in SH map) is to dodge a lot, run away while waiting for recharges, use smoke, lashing, and daze -- no ITC -- and rely on courage breaker to help get the deeps to count. If you time it right, CB can double as a dodge too. Bloodbath for the oh-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> moments. On Losty I used same dailies but went with ITC, Lashing and Wicked Reminder.

Good luck!
  • Options
    sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    I soloed elol and I'm pretty sure I didn't use a healthstone. Run with ITC plus a Foehammer's favor elixir and a barkshield, if you have one. That combination makes us pretty tanky for short periods of time.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • Options
    hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    Thanks for the ideas, I'll give it another go this weekend.