test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alts and Alt killers

valesiavalesia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
Ok guys help me out here, i keep reading X is an alt killer etc etc

I thought alts were just something farmers used to generate more currency there by inflating the market place prices to make currency sellers more necessary.

So why then would an alt killer be a bad thing ?

Comments

• Options
    valesiavalesia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
    Ok i was under the impression they just used alts to exploit the number of daily quests they could do for astral diamonds etc. To pool into one super character type of thing.
  • Options
    melindaozmelindaoz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I have one level 70 of each class geared up to run almost all of the content. It allows me to swap around if I get bored or if the guild needs a **whatever class** etc to run a dungeon. I've had to focus on 3 (DC, OP, GWF) because it's too hard to push so many characters through all the campaigns. Yes, I can do weeklies on them all, but that's not really what they're for.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    Note that new a new, alt-friendly feature was discussed on a dev livestream (and may be on preview... haven't looked for a bit). It's a system that allows a character that completed a given campaign to craft a token that makes advancement for alt characters faster/easier.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    Some people take alts to an extreme, very true, but also honest players with somewhat limited playtime like to have a few options, such as a DPS and a couple support, or maybe one of each class. I think the honest player trying to keep a few classes up to date are the ones crying alt killer and some of the campaigns or upcoming changes are frankly too resource intensive to keep a couple or few classes at or near current. Example, I would love to have one of each class, but have had to scale back to one DPS, one tank and a DC and I don't have the time to run all 3 through all the content, I have to choose which one to keep current first, second and third.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    I played 5 classes and they can do all PVE solo contents. I personally feel it is a lot alt friendly these days than before (way before). There are a lot of account bound stuff that makes it very alt friendly. In the old days, there was only xvim stuff (if I remember correctly).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

Note that new a new, alt-friendly feature was discussed on a dev livestream (and may be on preview... haven't looked for a bit). It's a system that allows a character that completed a given campaign to craft a token that makes advancement for alt characters faster/easier.

Hi @tripsofthrymr , regarding that thread, any chance you can reach out to @rgutscheradev and ask him to check back in on that discussion as he's not been seen there since he posted it nearly a week ago.

There is a serious concern over the cost of the Sigils as they require 3 weeks of farming on one character to buy the sigil for one alt. This reduces the time saved to between 0% - 12.5% (e.g. a long 8 week campaign, sigil saves 4 weeks, minus the 3 weeks of farming, total time saved = 1 week or 12.5%).

On shorter campaigns (most of them) the time could actually go into a negative or loss. It appears they've overlooked this in their calculations and if it's not addressed early enough they may roll it out like this and deliver a flop.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    manufracturemanufracture Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Can someone please explain what this post is about? Are they changing the way alts work and if so where I can find the details? As melindoaz stated, I love the game but sometimes want to switch things up and play different styles, please tell me I am still going to be able to do this? I certainly don't do any exploits or anything but it is true that I use a stronger toon to help gear up a weaker one.
  • Options
    marv700#9957 marv700 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited September 2017

I'd hardly call it alt friendly. You still need to do "extra" quests (to get campaign currency) on your main to buy that token. So as far as I'm concerned it's shifting the work from one character to another, but barely making a dent.

The game has become very alt unfriendly. I used to play 4 characters close to evenly. Now it's a real dog doing more than 1. Not fun at all.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited September 2017

I'd hardly call it alt friendly. You still need to do "extra" quests (to get campaign currency) on your main to buy that token. So as far as I'm concerned it's shifting the work from one character to another, but barely making a dent.

The game has become very alt unfriendly. I used to play 4 characters close to evenly. Now it's a real dog doing more than 1. Not fun at all.
    To be fair, campaign currency of most campaign is already earned if one does weekly 3 to 10 minutes AD quest of the area such as Dread Ring, Sharandar, etc. However, the weekly AD quest is not available in SKT and RD. So, what is missing for most people is the incentive to go to SKT and RD to do simple things to earn AD and also campaign currency. The important part is "simple". e.g. WoD weekly AD quest is not "simple". Hence, most people do not run it.

Does that mean your alt will get the token in one month after weekly AD is available (if it is available)? No.
    It only means a player who plays his main for a long while, getting weekly AD for a long while, eventually, he has all the campaign currency without knowing.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    earlgreybeardearlgreybeard Member Posts: 407 Arc User

I play all 8 classes and the 16 paragon paths .. my main has all the campaigns (but pvp) the others need the ToD(3) and the last underdark(5) boon ,STK (7)and Chult(5).. 1 class left for leg. gear upgrade and 1 mythic arti

enchants and artifacts is where I am behind with most other players.. but I have managed to get them all in the 10k-13k iL range.. I can assure you I don't think it is unfun :)

decisions(multiple).. and working out which class i like best is probably the worst part

1 slot left for the new class 'coming soon'
    :wink:
    Guild Leader Den of the Misfits
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    I run my CW regularly. Then I run my TR, GF or HR. This is just for weekly stuff or the character I'm working through a zone. Right now that tends to be the HR through SKT and CA. The CW is in Chult. I can do most of that on Monday along with a sizeable chunk of his AD weeklies.

CW is done except for 2 Chult boons and enchants.
    TR is done except Chult (haven't started), enchants, and 3 artifacts.
    GF has started Chult, needs enchants and 4 artifacts.
    HR is working on his stuff.
    SW, OP, GWF and DC get when I get around to them. They aren't priority at this time.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Its not just alt killers, the game at times can be a main killer if your main is not wanted for certain dungeons.

As for alts, I have alts, but since I cannot even play with my main every day, its very painful to try get an alt to do all the campaigns or manage to get them to ever qualify for the hardest content. I started doing my alts again because of the campaign completion tokens, but they are a bit too expensive and should be lowered in price to make things more alt friendly.
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    r000kie said:

valesia said:

I thought alts were just something farmers used

Farmers had 50 alts invoking and do stuff. Some legit players also have lots of alts, but I also bet they have no life outside the house. I have 4 avas, since mod 11 is impossible to advance them all. Is fun to "run" like a faerie with my CW freezing everything, but also to sprint ahead with my GWF or to sneak away with my TR.

Also classes are nerfed by rotation, and this is the main reason I created multiple avas
    Exactly this, I got fed up with having a character with a playstyle I liked and having to learn a completely new playstyle from scratch after nerfs.

I have 15 chars because I built them before loadouts, and also to do leadership. This may be because my previous MMO was CoH where the equivalent here would be that once you decided you were AC or DO and once you picked which of the 3 paths you were going with, a respec wouldn't change that, so multiples of a class were necessary. I had 250 chars on my main account, 85 max level.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

Can someone please explain what this post is about? Are they changing the way alts work and if so where I can find the details?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1234374/official-feedback-thread-faster-campaign-progression-for-alts

• Options

The costs aren't finalized. @rgutscheradev is going to have another look.

• Options
    xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    @manufracture

You will still be able to play your alt as you did before, what most complaints are about now is the change to refining system, with enchants going up to rank 14/unparalleled. Those new ranks are extremely expensive and will make gearing up multiple character harder. That being said, it is mostly true for people trying to achieve BiS gear, but the change should also make it easier for newer player to get to a reasonable gear level.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Just me but i have 8 characters so i could try all the different classes and most of them are pretty well equiped enough to keep up with the flow but not super mega 13K dps types or anything like that :lol: