test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You will be unable to play using your current graphic card

katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
edited August 2017 in Bug Reports (PC)
Ever since last patch, I have been unable to play because I get this error when I launch the game. However, this makes no sense because just 3 months ago I got a brand new laptop, with a nice shiny GTX 1050 inside. There is no way that my GPU shouldn't be capable of running this game, so why am I getting this error, and how can I fix it?

dulopa4e1d9.png
|| Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker

Comments

• Options
    teflons7teflons7 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Since it's asking for a gpu with DX10 or higher, and your gtx 1050 most certainly exceeds that, it leads me to believe it's not detecting the Nvidia gpu and is on whatever the default video adapter may be (likely and Intel HD of some sort). I'm not totally familiar with Nvidia's control panel, but I think there's a way to set the card that your games use, maybe in the performance section or something similar. A quick google should tell you where to navigate in the menus, or someone here may be able to chime in. Wish I had more info, but that's where I'd check first.
    Evolvent

Tre'Huggar - 70 HR
    Beefthor Battlebeard - 70 GF
    Beefer Sutherland - 70 CW
  • Options
    teflons7 said:

Since it's asking for a gpu with DX10 or higher, and your gtx 1050 most certainly exceeds that, it leads me to believe it's not detecting the Nvidia gpu and is on whatever the default video adapter may be (likely and Intel HD of some sort). I'm not totally familiar with Nvidia's control panel, but I think there's a way to set the card that your games use, maybe in the performance section or something similar. A quick google should tell you where to navigate in the menus, or someone here may be able to chime in. Wish I had more info, but that's where I'd check first.

Interestingly, it's the opposite of this - when I force the game to run using the integrated graphics chip, it works, but it won't work when I use the GTX 1050.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    teflons7teflons7 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Sounds like it could be a driver issue then. If you're familiar with it, you could try uninstalling (completely, using Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstalling or rolling back to a previous driver and see if that does anything. Also, some laptops may have performance/power settings that dictate which vid adapter to use. Check to be sure it's not set to something like power saving mode where it may not properly utilize the 1050.
    Evolvent

Tre'Huggar - 70 HR
    Beefthor Battlebeard - 70 GF
    Beefer Sutherland - 70 CW
  • Options
    teflons7 said:

Sounds like it could be a driver issue then. If you're familiar with it, you could try uninstalling (completely, using Display Driver Uninstaller) and reinstalling or rolling back to a previous driver and see if that does anything. Also, some laptops may have performance/power settings that dictate which vid adapter to use. Check to be sure it's not set to something like power saving mode where it may not properly utilize the 1050.

Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and there is no power saving mode on, I have that disabled. Besides, the game can run on the integrated chip, so a power saving mode wouldn't cause this error.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    This may be a moot point but I assume you're using the Nvidia drivers and not the Windows update drivers right?
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    silence1x said:

This may be a moot point but I assume you're using the Nvidia drivers and not the Windows update drivers right?

Of course, I used the Nvidia control panel to install the drivers.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
  • Options
    lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    From the Neverwinter launcher, choose "Options". Scroll down: Is there anything in the Command Line field? If you check Safe Mode, does the game start?

You mentioned reinstalling your graphics drivers. Have you tried completely reinstalling *Neverwinter*? Like, remove it from the ARC launcher, then delete the folders, yank out registry keys, etc?
  • Options
    chadvaliantchadvaliant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    This might be a long shot but have you checked the Nvidia Control Panel to see if your 1050 is controlling the PhysX instead of the CPU.

It's been mentioned in the Nvidia forums that for some strange reason the CPU is taking control of the PhysX. Nothing specific mentioned about NW though.

Friend of mine was having a crash on start and this seems to have fixed it. Good luck.