test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Combat HR Questions

drackonautdrackonaut Member Posts: 79 Arc User
Hi all. Been playing since the launch on ps4 but took a break after mod10 and just now getting back into things. I just have a few questions for the experts here on the forums that I couldn't seem to find an answer for.

Question 1. As combat, what with piercing blades and all, I've heard talk you don't need your A Pen capped. Any truth to this?

2. I use bladestorm and lone wolf but looking to swap out wolf for more dps. Either seekers, pack, or twin blade. Which would show me a bigger dps increase?

3. As combat, for pvp, should I take the 10% crit loss for the 50% severity? Why/why not?

4. Finally, I've heard lightning is better than vorpal now? And for both pve and pvp, is shadowclad worth it or stick with soulforged for pve and woven for pvp?

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Hi, I'll try and answer some of your questions.

1. This must be something related to PVP. In PVE you definitely need Armor Penetration.

2. Aspect of the Pack is definitely better than Bladestorm. Seeker's doesn't work with melee attacks. Twin-Blade is just as mediocre as Bladestorm. For max damage I'd say Pack and Bladestorm but again Bladestorm isn't great.

3. no idea.

4. Lightning is great but I don't think it's better than vorpal, at least in PVE.
  • Options
    Thanks. Came up with another question after reading your guide. Would it be worth it to replace my vorpal with a Bilethorn? I noticed I'm usually tops in aoe but lack severly in single-target fights. Would switching enchants remedy this?
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    1. That was last mod, and only in PvP. This mod 7k+ is probably a decent target for pvp and 85% for pve.

2. Aspect of the pack is an absolute must. The other one, until seekers gets fixed, is pretty much up to you. I usually have lonewolf on, but sometimes serpents and sometimes falcon as pathfinder. Plz note, have pack with only 3 points, NOT 4, 4 breaks as the offhand bonus, which you should also get as it's 8% damage buff when you're in a party.

3. Take it. It's kinda like a free vorpal. For pvp you really want to use feytouched, even though it's a buggy piece of HAMSTER, to stay alive.

4. PVE, vorpal, vorpal or vorpal, totally up to you. If you don't like any of those, then I can only suggest vorpal.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    So I made the switch to aspect of the pack and aspect of the lone wolf. For sure noticed a dps increase, however when I swapped lone wolf for bladestorm my aoe dps went up a bit so I'm currently running that combo. I think I will stick to Vorpal for now, thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Hey guys. Came back from holiday break and I feel like my combat is doing more damage than before. Did anything changed with new mod?
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Piercing blade got a buff in Pve.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    With the change to Piercing Blades, I would take a good guess to say that a majority of Combat HR DPS will come from Piercing Blades and Combat Capstone, followed up by Plant Growth and Gushing Wound.

The former two don't proc Lightning at all, Lightning isn't that "amazing"with Plant Growth, and Gushing Wound is garbage with Lightning, leaving Vorpal (and to a lesser extent, Fey if you don't use Thorn Ward) as the supreme option.

Lightning + Clear the Ground spam does clear out mobs decently enough. However, in my opinion, it's an expensive gimmick which isn't worth the cost.

• Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

With the change to Piercing Blades, I would take a good guess to say that a majority of Combat HR DPS will come from Piercing Blades and Combat Capstone, followed up by Plant Growth and Gushing Wound.

The former two don't proc Lightning at all, Lightning isn't that "amazing"with Plant Growth, and Gushing Wound is garbage with Lightning, leaving Vorpal (and to a lesser extent, Fey if you don't use Thorn Ward) as the supreme option.

Lightning + Clear the Ground spam does clear out mobs decently enough. However, in my opinion, it's an expensive gimmick which isn't worth the cost.

A great, well thought of, straight to the point and helpful answer!
  • Options
    jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    Dread actually works quiet well with Combat and is a must for Trapper . So if you got it you will see very little drop in dps if any. Running. LS/ Gushing cordon/pg and thorn ward/strike with Pathfinder Path for CA . In Act I Have seen very little damage difference between Dread and Vorpal and Dread @ trans has better debuffs. I top charts in Demo and Tia with both and Have seen DPS pretty much the same with both enchants. PVP I use Fey or Dread for Buffs/ debuffs.

HR pathfinder Combat Mostly with Trapper load out
    Aravein PC
    16k il