test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New HR

gontar#1866 gontar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited July 2017 in The Wilds
Hi guys . First of all i'm pretty new to Neverwinter just started like 1 week ago. I created Hr cus i was playing archers in almost every mmo games. I love range playstyle and wanted to ask u guys if archery is even a choice in end game content i mean if i will make decent dps ? (i'm not worry about survi cus i get to use about how hard is survive on archer)? Everywhere i read they say trapper or combat, does archery dmg is so low compared to this 2 paragons ? Just please don't tell me that i should play to have fun cus i don't wanna suck beacause of that :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I'm afraid archery is in fact very weak compared to combat an trapper.
  • Options
    gontar#1866 gontar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    well thnx for replay . so i guess i need to practice trapper :smile:
  • Options
    drackonautdrackonaut Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Archery can keep up with combat and trapper or even out dps them BUT that is only with certain boss fights. Good examples of fights that let Archer shine:

Dragonflight
    Tiamat
    Demigorgon
    Any boss fight that has little to no adds.

Also keep in mind archers main goal is a dmg buffer. You sacrifice your own dps to buff the group's dps as a whole.

Checkout http://mmominds.com/2017/07/02/bloodtalons-pve-archer-hr-dps-build/
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Interesting build. Well thought out. Makes me want to try it. Using longstrider, at-wills and nothing else must get boring after some time though.

The list of places you cited, however, are the very places in which a combat HR (or even a trapper) would out-DPS any other class by simply switching to a pathfinder loadout and applying careful attack.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Nice build. One obvious companion choice is hunting hawk, which I remember adds x amount of damage to at wills.

Still, can't imagine this working well anyplace that penalizes standing still, like drufi's ice, or has adds appearing at a distance like etos. Might give it a try though, it's been years since I went full on archer.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    nirafelosnirafelos Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    artifleur said:

The list of places you cited, however, are the very places in which a combat HR (or even a trapper) would out-DPS any other class by simply switching to a pathfinder loadout and applying careful attack.

While this is true, it's worth keeping in mind that Careful Attack is coded as a ranged power, which means it benefits from all of the +ranged damage feats in the Archery tree, and does not benefit from anything other than Skirmisher's Gambit in Combat. Also worth mentioning that Split the Sky is every bit as hilariously effective on Tiamat as Careful attack is, causing Tiamat to hit herself for 2-3 million damage every time she face bashes the raid, so Tiamat in particular is not a case where Pathfinder is a clear winner, regardless of tree.
  • Options
    nirafelos said:

While this is true, it's worth keeping in mind that Careful Attack is coded as a ranged power, which means it benefits from all of the +ranged damage feats in the Archery tree, and does not benefit from anything other than Skirmisher's Gambit in Combat. Also worth mentioning that Split the Sky is every bit as hilariously effective on Tiamat as Careful attack is, causing Tiamat to hit herself for 2-3 million damage every time she face bashes the raid, so Tiamat in particular is not a case where Pathfinder is a clear winner, regardless of tree.

That's good to know. Perhaps I should try using Split the Sky against tiamat one of these days.
  • Options
    kydavi#1678 kydavi Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I have a load out of all three paragon paths (all Stormwarden, hate most of the Pathfinder powers); I usually run combat solo (great for melting weak enemies), trapper for most dungeons (best balance of damage and survivability), and archery for specific boss fights and large raids (easiest build to keep up buffs/debuffs for team boosting).

That said I have run all three in all game content and all are perfectly viable for end game play with each one brining a little different flavor to play.
    kydavi

Main: Nidara Devilspawn- Ranger
    Alt: Aradin Coldblood- Fighter
    Alt: Lucrezia Vileborn- Warlock
  • Options
    astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Because of the game-machicanic against "wand, rod and staves" enchantment, specially arrows (Paralyse, Petrify, Disintegrate, etc.) are off the table and arrowheads made with metal other than iron (+1 thru +3) are not consider... this greatly handicap HR.
  • Options
    nirafelosnirafelos Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    what
  • Options
    Lol, ok, made an archer load out, crit in demogorgon for 970k.
  • Options
    teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    With a decent DC, I can ramp crits to 700-900k. I've hit over a mill with an at-will (at-mill) numerous times when fighting Orcus.

Deleted many of my past vids this past weekend. One was showing self buffing using SH dummies how to ramp yellow numbers above 230K and crits above 450K with an at-mill. ;)
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • Options

Because of the game-machicanic against "wand, rod and staves" enchantment, specially arrows (Paralyse, Petrify, Disintegrate, etc.) are off the table and arrowheads made with metal other than iron (+1 thru +3) are not consider... this greatly handicap HR.

Are you trying to convey a message?
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Looks like some D&D gibberish (wand,rod and staves was a saving throw category, when magic was used from an object instead of being cast as spell or used as a supernatural ability).
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    I tried for some time a similar Archer build. Sacrificing some crit for recovery on my per I was able to keep Longstrider up for 90% of the time as long as I didn't have to dodge a lot. With a full recovery build you can definitely keep up longstrider all time (I tried on preview with 16k recovery and it works just using Longstrider and Aimed shot with the cooldown reduction feat).
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Archery is pretty solid once you get used to it. Because of gambit I only have 70% crit, but the owlbear makes up for that.

Combat is burst heavy, but archery for the most part feels like sustained dps like the trapper, just with less utility. I never needed anything other than thorn ward/split the sky/rain of arrows for the typical dungeon run.

If you like things simple, it's fun enough. I orignally felt archery was horrible for dealing with mobs. The rain of arrow AoE buff and the buff/fix to split the sky made a hell of a difference.

Could mix around and drop thorn ward for longstrider. Buff the hell out of split the sky and because it lasts so long it benefits greatly from crazy brief buffs like that. That 5 second feat pretty much makes it a perma attack.
  • Options
    Was running with another HR last night and Archery was not favored. I am guildless so missing the boon and I easily stepped well ahead in DPS.

I may mess around with Archery again, just to see what I may be missing.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Archery is fun while the novelty lasts, but far too squishy for post-mod10 endgame stuff, not to mention pvp. No control, no healing, if you pile self heals on your mount bonuses you miss out on assassin's and etc... And you're still squishy even then. Big boom boom dps means you're apt to steal aggro from your tank, and after a while, the whole "sit in one place and keep aimed shot button held down" gets a wee bit boring.

Still, overall verdict after a couple of days playing as an archer in pve/pvp, is that it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Note though, with loadouts, you could probably get away with a trapper main and archery secondary, but switching between combat and archery leaves you with a lot of enchants to swap out on your pet, as combat is crit-heavy enchant-wise, and archery is almost crit-free. I had a 76% critchance without any buffs or enchants, and 100% when stillness kicked in, rendering all the azures and brutals on my pet completely useless.
  • Options
    nirafelos said:

I don't know where you found that careful attack counted as a ranged attack cause I've just tested it, first on preview then on live to be sure, and it actually counts as a melee attack. It must have been fixed at some point.

It procs piercing blade, it benefits from scything blades and it both procs and benefits from battle crazed. The only thing it doesn't work with is blade hurricane, but I guess it is for the best.

When it comes to aspect of the serpent, it creates ranged stacks but doesn't consume melee stacks which also seems fine.

I also tested split the sky in Tiamat and it is indeed very effective, not as good as careful attack, at least for a combat HR, but very effective nonetheless.
  • Options
    Do you recall the old war movies and the sound a damaged diving plane made before impact? Yeah, no, Archery is the sound of the impact. I ran spiders twice and was excited but disappointed I wasted a new loadout.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • Options
    Neeeeeeeeòoooowwwwwwww.......BOOM!!!!!!!
  • Options
    On .CA, I'm pretty sure when I was testing it benefited from aspect of the falcon, which is supposed to boost ranged attacks... go figure. Maybe falcon just boosts damage depending on your distance, regardless of source lol.
  • Options
    clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    On the topic of archer and pulling mobs from the tanks, I went with the full threat reduction features the game allows (owl, war dog, the 3 threat reduction feats), these make a big difference and I almost never pull mobs. On the rare occasions where I am really doing so much more damage than the rest of the party then one must simply manage it, but every dps class needs to be able to handle threat correctly, its ultimately their responsibility not the tank to know what to do. Using forest ghost, moving towards the party makes the threat go away in no time.
  • Options
    I did setup for no threat and it works. What spawns next to me was not an issue, melts extremely fast. Just did not like the lack of DPS with the boss. As a trapper I can DPS more at range.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Threat reduction? That's blasphemy. This is like the nostalgic old days when the HR was first introduced.

• Options
    The real problem of the Archer is that Prey is coded as a capped debuff. Against a boss if your group gets to the debuff cap Prey does zilch for you.