test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion Advice for AC DC

chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
Hi all,
Got a quick companion question for AC DC's. Which companions would you suggest, both for summoned and for active companions? I had a discussion in-game with someone and he suggested that all the AC DC companions should just be power, power and more power, i.e., just power-stat pets. That seemed awfully reductionist to me, after all, a pet with 300 power, if half of that was transferred via BB/AA/etc., that would be at most about a 0.5% damage increase for party members. Surely there are other pet choices that could increase the damage of the party by more than 0.5%, or be beneficial in other ways? I was thinking perhaps Sellsword as summoned companion, and perhaps Rust Monster as one of the active companions. I already have two sprites for AP gain as two other active companions. I am not sure about the last one. What do you think?

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Can't say much about the +Power comps, as I'm unsure of the relative bonus to your AA. I use the Sprites, but they might not be the biggest buffs in hindsight.

In regards to the Rust Monster, the Rust Monster is a dumb idea for a DC, since if you're intentionally trying to stack the debuff, you're intentionally trying to get hit.

Which means you're not letting the tank do their job (which is kinda douchey) or you're a suicidal DC, and a DC with a death wish probably won't be living to do their DC duties. Or, you're a PvP DC who happens to like being used as bait for your more damaging teammates/holding nodes for as long as you can.

Let the GFs/OPs stack the Rust Monster/Air Cultist/Chicken debuffs.

• dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    I agree can't go wrong with sprites for actives as they help with the daily.

Also some crit severity pets can be solid, especially any of the 10% ones.

Sometimes I run a rust monster (tankless runs), sometimes a power stat pet (max buff), sometimes an archon for personal damage. Or a wolf from the founder pack with interrupt, but that's hardly accessible.

Summoned one of the debuff companions. I run sellsword, but con artist or rebel merc are fine too.
  • rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    A short introduction: power, power, power...it's a partially wrong advice. The companion stats back from bondings don't influence the power share (i.e what you transfert to the other players: it's the active bonus only, but I'm not aware of any companion giving you tons of power): they only influence your stats. The power coming from your companion is ok for you only when solo.
    More details about your DC would be welcome, because we don't know what you want to do with your DC. Power share only? dps focused, buff/debuff focused? dailly spammer? Other?

My companions
    - Sellsword. 3 offensive slots + debuff capability, active bonus +300 power at epic (as you can see, it's not that much)
    - Owlbear cub. The DoT component was nerfed, but in my opinion it's a decent choice when you solo, when you have high power but low crit as my DC has. It's one of the reasons why I go high power, but it's for myself only. Don't expect to compete on dps with that.
    - 3x sprite for action point gain.

As suggested, other options are viable: rebel mercenary, con artist, ambush drake, dancing shield. I also like the lion as a tank and buffer. The lion and the dancing shield make your Dc more tanky, but less damage oriented (partially compensated by Assassin's covenant). The erinyes is ok to increase the crit severity if you plan to have high crit.

Finally you have to consider the cost of the companions: some are very easy to get (sellsword, con artist, some sprites), other, like the ambush drake, are more/very expensive.
    Post edited by rapo973 on

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Or, you're a PvP DC who happens to like being used as bait for your more damaging teammates/holding nodes for as long as you can.

which wouldn't work in domination since companion bonuses don't work there, GG/Siege are dead. So really your talking about using this in BiD only?

Some other interesting companions to consider, depending on your setup could be crit sev companions, but this would mean you would probably want to stack more crit chance which would take stats away from your power stacking. AP gain companions as already mentioned.

Tank companions can be useful since they can help with combat advantage; however, you will be very unpopular with tanks if you have a tank companion summoned in party.

Cockatrice has an interesting bonus, useful in BiD or solo play. 10% chance to root the attacker.

Pseudodragon has stamina buff. Since dodging is our only cc immunity and dodging is the lifeblood of dcs
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I use a cockatrice, but mostly because it was free (winterfest) and is funny. It is easy to gear, having no OH gear slots 2 ring, 1 neck. Also, while I'm not AC anymore, melee pets are useful for soloing because you can buff them with AA and BoB before they can proc Companion's Gift.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    There is a difference between summuned and active companion.

Active companion you can chose:
    silver scale cleric = 1.5% healing
    polar bear = 2-5% healing
    spirte = 1-2% AP
    Energon = 5% HP
    Liland, phase spider, Battle field medic, Cockatrice... are also cheap and nice

for summuned companion u need one that attack and have offence slots + bonding.
    AC DC weapon of light and BoB have short range. you need companion that fight near you.
    range companion can be problem, some dont move
    companion that attack need to proc Companion's Gift. as far as i know Priest of shenine and Liland don't proc it so watch out
    you need to get mount bonus for protector cmaraderie (arkaium courser is cheap)

for active companion use anything you like. try it for some time before making it legend
    i use phase spider, he stay alive and fight behind the boss so its easy to buff.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    plavia said:

for active companion use anything you like. try it for some time before making it legend
    i use phase spider, he stay alive and fight behind the boss so its easy to buff.

That's got to be fun for the FBI Dragon Turtle and Spellplague Boss 2.
    putzboy78 said:

rjc9000 said:

Or, you're a PvP DC who happens to like being used as bait for your more damaging teammates/holding nodes for as long as you can.

which wouldn't work in domination since companion bonuses don't work there, GG/Siege are dead. So really your talking about using this in BiD only?

Some other interesting companions to consider, depending on your setup could be crit sev companions, but this would mean you would probably want to stack more crit chance which would take stats away from your power stacking. AP gain companions as already mentioned.

Tank companions can be useful since they can help with combat advantage; however, you will be very unpopular with tanks if you have a tank companion summoned in party.

Cockatrice has an interesting bonus, useful in BiD or solo play. 10% chance to root the attacker.

Pseudodragon has stamina buff. Since dodging is our only cc immunity and dodging is the lifeblood of dcs
    Oh, didn't know that most comp bonuses don't work in PvP.

The joke was that a certain returning DC complains about being used as bait for her TR buddy in Domination, so I was considering her situation when I was writing that.

• putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    yeah, in GG/SH PVP summoned bonuses work but the active companion doesnt, in BiD both works

Which also makes switching from pve to pvp a pain since many people use mount bonuses related to companions, so when going to pvp they have to switch their mount bonuses around
  • knightfall#8685 knightfall Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    rapo973 said:

- Owlbear cub. The DoT component was nerfed, but in my opinion it's a decent choice when you solo, when you have high power but low crit as my DC has. It's one of the reasons why I go high power, but it's for myself only. Don't expect to compete on dps with that.

Just note that certain weapon enchants will cause Chains to never proc Owlbear Cub.

• devlin#3775 devlin Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    I think its a little dependent on what you are trying to achieve. Perhaps if you want a little more healing, the various +x% to outgoing healing are good (polar bear for example). Or if you want a little more damage the various +x% damage are good (air archon for example).

For an AC that is focusing on buffs, I think the only options for bettering your buffing potential are:

MOAR AP!
    Summoned: A debuff companion (Con Artist, Sellsword, Harper Bard, Ambush Drake). I personally prefer the con artist (due to limited "recovery" stat equipment for the sellsword) but any of these are pretty sweet.
    Companions 2, 3, 4: Ice Sprite, Fire Sprite, and Sprite. These seem to multiply weirdly and I end up getting just over 8% AP gain from these. Not exactly a game changer but it isnt a bad little boost to a stat we can always use more of.
    Companion 5 Erinyes (if higher crit) or Owlbear (if lower crit) or a +power companion: A little boost to your damage (and healing if Erinyes), or a little more shareable power.

I really like this set up as i'm willing to sacrifice some power (see below) for better AP gain.

Alternatively, you can use +power companions across the board like your friends had mentioned. It doesnt seem like much, but it definitely can make a difference in your power sharing capability. Something like:

MOAR POWAH!
    Summoned: Sellsword (still get debuff part + 300 power)
    Dragonborn Raider (300 power)
    Dragonborn Brawler (300 power)
    Zhentarim Warlock (165 power, 165 recovery)
    Storm Rider (165 power, 165 recover)

Total power: 1230. That doesnt seem like much (and in the grand scheme of things it isnt), but with WoL, BoB, and AA, you will be giving (to your friend directly and through your friends companion) your groupmates an extra 2853 power by going this route (assuming they have R12 bondings).

Both options are a little lacklustre I realize, but other options seem worse (to me) since they dont boost the things in which we are actually trying to focus on.

If you change your paragon path to DO, I think other companion choices become more and more viable (since AP gain and power become less important)