test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vorpal still BIS for GWF?

jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
edited February 2017 in The Militia Barracks
Improved Feytouch, Lightning , Bilethorn and flaming seems quite interesting.

Anyone tested these new improved weapon enchantment?

Comments

• xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Tested Lighning vs Vorpal, at trans level, lightning provide waaay more dps than vorpal on thrash clearing, but on boss fight vorpal win the day.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    On paper and in my limited testing using ACT, lightning works best between bosses, bilethorn works best single target. Then again switching is kind of a pain. And bilethorn wasn't DRAMATICALLY outperforming Vorpal on single target, only by a handful of % points (5-10% or so in my tests).
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2017

I still don't think they're going to allow those enchants to perform the way the do now. Their words was to allow these as cheaper alternatives, not exceed Vorpal or Dread enchants on various classes.

It may take another year for them to revisit, as I recall many over-performing items taking forever to get nerfed. They just nerfed Shadow Demons a few weeks ago. Introduced in mod 8. Don't have the spare cash to go through a bunch of high priced enchants just now, but watched a CW doing insane damage in FBI switching between T Lightning and T Bilethorn.

It wil remain Vorpal for me, for now.
  • jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    Thanks for the input guys.

Tested Lighning vs Vorpal, at trans level, lightning provide waaay more dps than vorpal on thrash clearing, but on boss fight vorpal win the day.

dupeks said:

On paper and in my limited testing using ACT, lightning works best between bosses, bilethorn works best single target. Then again switching is kind of a pain. And bilethorn wasn't DRAMATICALLY outperforming Vorpal on single target, only by a handful of % points (5-10% or so in my tests).

its so true,
    Lightning better is clearing mobs
    Bilethorn is better in long single target (boss fight) bad for mobs as they die too fast before it effects kicks in

Guess Vorpal is all rounder ...

I still don't think they're going to allow those enchants to perform the way the do now. Their words was to allow these as cheaper alternatives, not exceed Vorpal or Dread enchants on various classes.

It may take another year for them to revisit, as I recall many over-performing items taking forever to get nerfed. They just nerfed Shadow Demons a few weeks ago. Introduced in mod 8. Don't have the spare cash to go through a bunch of high priced enchants just now, but watched a CW doing insane damage in FBI switching between T Lightning and T Bilethorn.

It wil remain Vorpal for me, for now.
    I doubt there be anymore changes too, its not overpowering but slightly better bout 10% difference in performance in certain area
    IF something like that were to be fixed vorpal was fixed long ago for overwhelmingly out performing all others weapon enchantments.

for optimum performance i guess it be lightning enchant for mob clearing and switch to bilethorn/vorpal for boss fight i guess ...

Again changing enchant is kinda pain, therefore i will use lightning all the way or stick with vorpal all the way ...

edited March 2017
    I could see having a Relic Weapon with Bilethorn and a Mod 11 weapon with Lightning for quick switchout. I wish I had the 16 million AD to set that up (just cost of enchants.)

Swapping at the boss fight would be no big deal.
  • jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User

I could see having a Relic Weapon with Bilethorn and a Mod 11 weapon with Lightning for quick switchout. I wish I had the 16 million AD to set that up (just cost of enchants.)

Swapping at the boss fight would be no big deal.

Well there is that ..
    Spending 16m for 2 different weapon enchant ...require to spend gold from time to time to swap... not to mention risk of clicking the wrong button when switching and destroy a 8m weapon enchantment
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Ya, how I wish they would remove the discard button from epic enchants and other high value items. Nobody would do it on purpose. Not discarding your artifacts, weapons and enchantments is like a mini-game, for real.

Yup Epic Enchants are totally discardable, but don't you dare throw away that valuable companion experience tome! I end up spending 30+ seconds just staring at those buttons making sure I am clicking the right one. Such a waste of time, but is almost required.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    just throw them out of the slot and dont follow the full "click procedure"
  • vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    I heard that Feytouched at Transcendent level is outperforming Vorpal on single target.
    Unconfirmed so far.
    With the number of T Feytouched in the game, it shouldn't take long to find out.
  • cellablockcellablock Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    inspected lazalia 3days ago i have seen he switched to feytouched as well
  • tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    What do you think of the Frost enchant ?
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

What do you think of the Frost enchant ?

Nope. The weapon damage part isn't even that good. Its biggest claim to fame is its damage increasing debuff and enemy damage debuff.

Since GWF is all about damage, Frost sucks. Feytouched is good by virtue of giving a damage buff.

I personally think that Vorpal is still the best GWF enchant on the condition that you can consistently land hard hitting IBSes (depending on the team, think like 10mil or more). If you're all about at-will hits, you might want something different.

• xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    I switched my GWF to Trans Fey Touched a week ago. I'd say my DPS are pretty much the same as with Vorpal. The debuff is nice for the party, but if I end up with another Fey user, then I'm screwed.

Thats on a 100% Crit chance, 118% severity GWF.

inspected lazalia 3days ago i have seen he switched to feytouched as well

I decided to check that out myself: today he had T Flaming. Lazalia likes to test things.
    So would a dungeon run with T Bilethorn be less dps than an equal run with T Vorpal, or more? I mean, without switching enchants in the middle. Take CN or FBI for examples...
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

So would a dungeon run with T Bilethorn be less dps than an equal run with T Vorpal, or more? I mean, without switching enchants in the middle. Take CN or FBI for examples...

I tested CN with lightning, vorp, and bilethorn with similar composition parties where I was the primary dps (so it wasn't a sprint-ahead contest).

Bilethorn struggles on trash, but catches up a little on boss fights.
    Lightning melts trash, but slows down on boss fights.
    Vorpal is somewhere in between.

Will be testing feytouched next for the funzies, but I think I'll eventually meander back to vorpal and call it a day.

So as with many things, it kind of depends on what else is going on in your party and how close to BiS you really are. The reality is, for most content, we're talking about small increases to already overwhelmingly sufficient dps.

Did our party struggle with zombie hordes when I slotted bile? No not really, but I could also run without an enchant and we would finish.

Was it faster killing zombies with lightning? You betcha, but the slowdown was definitely noticeable on bosses.

Did I try a run where I swapped enchantments a lot? Sure did, and it outperformed my vorpal run. Was it worth the annoying UI and risk of destroying / discarding enchant with an errant click? I wouldn't say so.
    Got my hands on a bilethorn today and see what you mean about it feeling more "grindy." Since its poison is DOT you don't get as much up-front damage as with Vorpal, so you have to keep swinging even as the mobs are ticking down to nothing. I can see where this might be stronger in a boss fight, with 3x stacks of poison.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Bile is a Boss fight enchant as trash dies too quickly to be useful.
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    Vorpal still works best if you're 100% crit. chance.

Lightning is good and all but if you're a GWF and don't 1-2HK trash mobs anyway, you need to work on your build.
  • markeen#2032 markeen Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    I think it really depends on your build/playstyle If you like dps lightening is awesome. If you're more of the tank playstyle I would choose Vorpal. I am currently using a Vorpal on my IV GWF.
    Founder of Knights of Ra guild in Neverwinter PS4. Founder of The Arashikage Clan in Defiance, formally of PlayStation Home.
  • mcgwarfacemcgwarface Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    I heard lightning being nerfed 30% is that true?
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    On preview, before going live, Lightning was nerfed a little from it's previous buffed state on Preview. What was released to live is still a massive improvement over the previous live version.
    edited March 2017
    I'm wondering what's better on LARGE mobs, a la FBI. My guess is vorpal, though possibly bilethorn would be better in areas other than the trolls. I think lightning will likely only be appropriate in the troll areas. Any experience on this would be welcome.

I just got lightning ranked up, so time to test!

(Amazing that lightning is now going for ~11m on auction house now and vorpal is half that. I like lightning so far, but it doesn't have that kind of a difference.)
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I was thinking about getting trans fey should a nerf come, but now I'm thinking about switching anyway. Not at 100% crit as is and when the ring change hits console, I will be even less so, so technically a buff to my base dps with 0 down time is better than crit severity, especially in fbi where I'm doing alot more running around, is what I'm thinking. plus an aoe debuff would be nice to have around for trolls. some well timed daggers could save everybody an injury kit or two or three or four.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • muckingfuppetmuckingfuppet Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    I've just been testing trans fey vs trans vorpal on the dummys and my ibs is the exact same damage amount as my vorpal this is with 100% crit chance, it like the vorpal isn't giving the 50% crit severity
    Post edited by muckingfuppet on