test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The RNG Problem: Proposed solution

zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
edited March 2017 in General Discussion (PC)
@mimicking#6533
@strumslinger

RNG is fine but there needs to be a limit. Running repetitive content endlessly for a build item they desire with no end in sight is NOT fun for players. It is maddening and painful. So hear me (well, us) out:

My recent example: I have run Prophecy of Madness over 50 times trying to get the chest piece I want. That is 50 keys. Each run takes about 20 min including reenter so that's 15 hours so far of the same grind. Two friends got the chest piece on the first run. Several within 20 runs. Some it took 50 or 100 or they gave up. This is the kind of QoL issue that turns players off but it can be solved.

Ok, it's RNG. I get it.
But there should be a limit. An alternative.
At some point enough grind has been put in and the game should relent.

Solution proposed:
Add a secret shop NPC that appears after so many runs of a particular skirmish/dungeon (after 20 runs or 50 runs, whatever).
The secret shop allows a player to buy any item for Zen/AD as BoA. I would gladly pay him almost whatever the cost.

Or something like that solution. So that the RNG element of the game is preserved, but the amount of time and effort a player after a particular BoC/BoA items like these is capped by providing an alternative source of the item so that players will be able to get what they are after a more than fair amount of effort.

That's all.
Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

Post edited by zeusom on

Comments

• Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    I think a better way would be that the RNG % chance get higher the more u run it. At somepoint instead of having 0.00001% chance to get something, maybe you have 10%.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Thought of that too.. its called "curved RNG" or something (the more you run the higher your RNG until you get an item). But they would have to code then track that info that I guess for each individual player x each individual item? That is why I said secret shop. Appears every X number of runs. You earned it. Buy what you are really after.

Ps. And Zeng you get everything on the first run including the HP chest gfo ^^

• Options
    ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    +1bro
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    +1
    It's funny how there is a cap on just about every you can "win" on, but there is no cap on loses.
  • Options

+1
    It's funny how there is a cap on just about every you can "win" on, but there is no cap on loses.

LOL excellent point my friend.

• Options
    maatmonsmaatmons Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Maybe, each time you open the chest, it could give you a token? And, somewhere, there's a shop that sells all the items that chest can drop, for the right number of tokens?

Alternately, what if there was an option when you've seen what you got that lets you reroll the result by spending zen? Of course, it would have to be more expensive than the key, since it's also saving you the time of rerunning the content.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    maatmons said:

Maybe, each time you open the chest, it could give you a token? And, somewhere, there's a shop that sells all the items that chest can drop, for the right number of tokens?

Yes nice +1 this is an equally good solution. Also in keeping with Neverwinter's love of endless different currencies (which is fine). This would mean different kind of token for every dungeon/skirmish in the game but so what. We have a non-inventory currency page for that.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    maatmons said:

Or there could be one type of dungeon/skirmish chest token.
    You can purchase bound dungeon/skirmish items from the shop with them (for dung/skirms you've unlocked).
    Then all runs could contribute towards earning an item you want after enough runs and you are not necessarily forced to run same HAMSTER over and over again. And if your item drops, great! Spend your tokens on something else.

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    inb4 Cryptic pulls a Fire Emblem and makes the secret shop only available via a Member Card... which drops from dungeons as an RNG loot...

(by the way, I'm all in for this idea)
    maatmons said:

Alternately, what if there was an option when you've seen what you got that lets you reroll the result by spending zen? Of course, it would have to be more expensive than the key, since it's also saving you the time of rerunning the content.

Make items like Demogorgon's Twisted stuff (able to buy stuff that's BtA) and I think it would be great.

• Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    Bad streaks should absolutely be mitigated. Be it a token system or a secret shop that magically appears, I don't care.