test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

(PS4) Valhalla Set Bonus for OP Tank

valkosvalkos Member Posts: 34 Arc User
Hi guys

As a new player and low level tank 2.2k, im using the constitution belt and a variety of artifacts I've gotten through questing.

I was looking into set bonuses and the damage reduction stacking three times per mob for the Valhalla seemed good with the cloak giving +2AC.

Would you recommend this set? and get rid of the +2 con? And if so what remaining artifacts would you choose on a limited budget to go with the OP and Helm artifacts?

Cheers
Sir Valkar

Comments

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    valkos said:

Hi guys

As a new player and low level tank 2.2k, im using the constitution belt and a variety of artifacts I've gotten through questing.

I was looking into set bonuses and the damage reduction stacking three times per mob for the Valhalla seemed good with the cloak giving +2AC.

Would you recommend this set? and get rid of the +2 con? And if so what remaining artifacts would you choose on a limited budget to go with the OP and Helm artifacts?

Cheers

Sir Valkar

CON buffs HP (for delicious Aura of Courage damage), the CON bonus only applies to your base health (ie, health with no gear/boons), so CON doesn't add much to your HP at the end of the day. By the way, the Aura of Courage damage is scaled off each player's HP rather than the OP (ex: CW + Courage uses the CW's HP).

For the Valhalla set, I would normally say yes, but I think the best answer is "your milage may vary".

The Valhalla set bonus is a pretty powerful damage debuff source and can make a difference in saving a teammate from death, especially with the OP's myriad of team protection tools.

However, if you're struggling with having a daily available when you need it, you might want to consider an AP Gain Cloak (ex: Losty Cloak or Greater Imperial Dragon Cloak) with a good belt (Black Ice, Lathander, or even CON Belt are good choices).

Both the OP Sigil and Bruenor's Helm are decent artifacts on a Tankadin (I personally use an OP Sigil on my 3,300 Tankadin), so no shame in using those.

• Options
    Hi rjc9000

Thanks for the feedback on the gear, much appreciated, especially with the additional cloak and belt for recovery instead of damage reduction.

What other 2 artifacts would you consider using? Along side OP and bruenor, so maybe the Valhalla and what other one?
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Valkos, most of your defence comes from your ability to generate temp health, this means hitting as hard as possible.

You should use a Tiamat Orb (nice AP gain as well as recovery plus 500 pts for all offensive stats) a CW sigil is good, power & crit, I do use a Symbol of Fire for power, defence & recovery and a DC sigil for AP.

Your cloak should give AP and have power, crit & recovery and keep the CON belt.

You need to get your Damage Reduction stat to just over 65%, Resistance Ignored to -60% when you include Radiant Strike (5%) and companion procs. If you have low level bonding stones, buy a Gemmed Exquisite Ring of Piercing for now then personalise it with Jewellery Crafting to make it double slotted - it'll do until you get enough elsewhere. You can put the ring on your companion of course assuming you have bondings of at least r8 or are using an augment pet.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    Hi Armadeonx

Thanks again for the help, so far none of those items have dropped and checking the auction house they are way out of my budget. It's good to know what to work towards though, I think now as a new tank I'll go through probably quite a few iterations of gear and setup ad my drops change or I have enough AD to buy stuff.

I'll try and maximise as much as I can with what I have, before seeing your reply I spent all my AD on the Valhalla set, hope that wasn't s poor investment at this early stage.
  • Options
    Well, it'll slow down your AP gain a bit but you'll have a couple of extra points in DR so it's not a 'bad' thing during the early stages. You'll get 80% of the refinement value if/when you drop it into a different cloak at a later date.

Note, artifact prices generally jump a lot at the start of the 2xRP event (i.e. today) but keep an eye on them over the next couple of days, they tend to drop fast.

The Tiamat Orb is probably the most important thing to begin with as the 600 AP gain is really useful. You should also save up for an AP mount (embellished Gond or a Snail - on XBox they currently go for between 450k - 850k but I don't know which platform you're on.

You can also farm a Burning set of artifact weapons, they trigger quite a lot and the extra AP helps.

• Options
    michaelrn1982michaelrn1982 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    I think it comes down to your playing style. I can see an argument that this is nice (for a debuff tank) vs not so much for another. I am currently working on this set to Legendary so I can replace the Tia set I currently have. It really just comes down to playing style and what is going to benefit you.
    Gathornia The Divine

Check out the Shadowknight Build for OP Protection here

[Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (446273) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (514415) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (521299) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (555505) Physical Damage to you with Wand Sweep.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus deals 64883 (648828) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.

• Options
    trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    I'm going to make Valhalla set a secondary gear for the hardest content like FBI and SVA while keeping Black Ice neck and belt for DPS when soloing and in easier content. Having two sets makes the most sense since the bonus from Valhalla is good mostly for group play and you're losing so many good stats like AP gain, crit, arpen which you have to get elsewhere, 2 CHA or CON depending on the belt you're using. To save the trouble upgrading two sets to legendary it could be better to stick with Valhalla belt and go for two necks - Valhalla and AP gain neck - and switch only that.
  • Options
    Hi guys

Great ideas guys thanks, the two gear set seems good, I'll keep chipping away.
  • Options
    sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
    valkos said:

Hi guys

Great ideas guys thanks, the two gear set seems good, I'll keep chipping away.

Sorry if I'm chiming in late,

I might bring up... that the Valhalla set IMO is much more effective for GF's than OP's. Mostly because of Knights Valor. Most of the mobs that hit HARD... hit slowly. So you aren't going to build up stacks very quickly... you might even have some drop off... especially if you have a cleric dropping AA. (as you don't get a stack unless you actually take damage (but this is going to change with DC rework... so soon it won't be a consideration)....

Anyways... as I was saying... Valhalla really shines with reducing chipping damage from trash when a GF uses KV. Lots of hits... lots of stacks.. lots of damage reduction.

Since OP's don't have a similar mechanism... (reminder DP is a single source of damage and not a mob) I just don't see the same value in using the set over Black Ice.

So @valkos, it sounds like you are not rolling in resources... I would highly recommend you get Black Ice refined up first (fully)... then think about a secondary set.

I have both GF and OP tanks (although, Sadus is moonlighting as a healadin atm). I've use Valhalla on both... and I can verify it's much more valuable on a GF.

Thanks.

-= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    There are 2 best combinations for OPs Protection, 1 greater plated band of constitution + ap cloak or valhala set, they both are good but based on your build/rotation one can prove more vantageous than other, so for example if i use valhala and a dc sigil i have ap when i want but i may have gaps of protection, in that case the target will be dealing less damage because of valhala set debuff, on the other hand a ap cloak with a OP sigil/Champion/Defender's banner would give me less ap, less team protection in long time but better burst protection, yet in general i wouldn't go for that, the other combination would be ap cloak + dc sigil wich is great in ap gain and will help keep SOF permanently up.
    Now my final advice is if you are with mind in being the best tank possible get a valhala set and DC sigil and build a decent amount of recovery and ap gain, don't exagerate nothing above 8k, this will also allow you to use more easly powers that don generate divine call, it wont be enough to keep SOF always up, but here is what i do: Get 2 greater black ice overloads(18k each 8 hours in combat wich is not bad), a embilished aparatus of gond/ snail and burning set (or fey if you are hunting the new weapons), this to spare the investment in recovery.

• Options
    thrilk#9892 thrilk Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I currently use CON belt and Amulet of Tiamat's Demise (AP gain) as well as DC Sigil, GWF Sigil, Tiamat Orb, and Black Ice Beholder. The important thing to me is that ALL ARTIFACT STATS be relevant for your build. I am seriously thinking of swapping the Black Ice Beholder for the Horn of Valhalla (more critical and HP, less recovery and ArPen). But I do not like the stats for the other two pieces of the set. I don't use Life Steal and I don't need DEX or Deflection, so those stats are a waste.
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Oh yeah i forgot, tiamat set may be a little of charts but a build for life steal, beacon of hope and prism will find good use of a tiamat set since you almost replace a DC if you have a decent ap gain.

• Options
    Hi Thrik

The point you make about done of the stats of the other prices not being ideal was part of my original question, how do you balance the set bonus effect against some of the varied stats.

I appreciate alll the feedback, I've also learned that people use the GWF and DC artifacts, both classes I've never tried so I might chip away and level those to get those artifacts.
  • Options
    The DC one is especially useful and is almost ubiquitous among pallies as their active artifact.

• Options
    Hi arama

I've started a DC, level 10 as I log off, I'll get it to 60 for the artifact, thanks.
  • Options
    rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    I highly recommend one of the Heart of the Dragon artifacts combined with the Artificer's Persuasion mount bonus (Whenever you use an Artifact power, your Recovery, Movement, Action Point Gain, and Stamina Gain are increased by 10% of your Power for 15 seconds). If you can get the Artificer's Influence mount bonus as well, it is an additional 5% bonus for that 15 second duration. The reason why you go with one of the Heart of the Dragon artifacts is the fact that you can fire it off every 15 seconds (as long as you don't hit anything with it).

I have the Heart of the Black Dragon at mythic as my active artifact; as an added bonus, that particular artifact makes it look like I am projectile vomiting (seriously) whenever I use it.
  • Options
    valkos said:

Hi arama

I've started a DC, level 10 as I log off, I'll get it to 60 for the artifact, thanks.

Rig your DC for all-out DPS as it'll make levelling it a lot faster. Choose the Divine Oracle path and the class features "terrifying insight and Holy Fervor" and put all points in the Righteous feat path.

• Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    The Valhala set is definitely not good for my Paladin but that's up to playstyle. A purely defensive Paladin ( high DR, high deflect, high lifesteal even) will benefit from it.
  • Options
    Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help, I wish I had posted before I actually bought the set as I would never have got it. Now that I'm skint with the set I'll just have to keep going until I get more AD again and then I'll take your advice and get the different belts, cloaks and artefacts.

Cheers

• Options
    Personally I like the Greater Imperial Dragon cloak (power/crit/recovery) and they are generally pretty cheap. The constitution belt is perfect so keep that if you still have it.