test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

10% DR from Oath of Protection mechanic

trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
Does it not work or everyone is forgetting about it because it isn't reflected in stats? I haven't even seen anybody to mention it (often also 10% DR from Divine Call) when counting Damage Resistance from Defense, Negation etc. up to 80 or 95% DR.

Comments

• Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I'm pretty sure it works, but no, it's not reflected in stats.

So a base +10% DR from Oath; +10% for 10seconds after a Divine Call; and if you run Circle of Power, that's what, another +25%?
    So with those 3, you should cap with a base DR of 35%. Without CoP, you'd want to aim for more like a base 60% which is easily doable without even a Negation enchantment by using rising rings, or bonding stones + azures in defense slots.

*edit* - also, if you run Valorous Strike, that's another +5% DR. Forgot about that one.
  • Options
    michaelrn1982michaelrn1982 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Just to cover it all, here is a list of all things that give bonus DR in terms of build/feat/encounter/passive/companion.

Compaions:
    Frozen Galeb Durh - 10% as your take more damage

Feats:
    Lights Shield - 2.5%
    Stand Fast - 5% while not moving
    Warriors Bastion - 10% to DR Rating (depending on your stats, this could very well be 1% - ??%)

Encounters/Skills:
    Valorous Strike - 5%
    Aura of Protection - 12.5% @ R4
    Divine Call - 10%
    Shield of Faith - 60% (Last time I checked, but could be wrong)
    Circle of Power - 25%
    Absolution - ??% (I swore it does as long as you have it)
    Sanctuary - 30% while active

I personally use Stand Fast, AoP and Divine Call. I would love to be able to get CoP into my rotation to hit max DR, but I usually go with others (just a preference to lower the damage overall from the target than to just myself). If my numbers are correct, I should be hitting 91% DR (63.5% base, 12.5 from Aura, 5% from SF and 10% from DC). I do not feel like it is really hard to hit a high DR %. I do see a small difference when I do not use Divine Call.
    Gathornia The Divine

Check out the Shadowknight Build for OP Protection here

[Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (446273) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (514415) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (521299) Physical Damage to you with Bash.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus gives 0 (555505) Physical Damage to you with Wand Sweep.
    [Combat (Self)] Orcus deals 64883 (648828) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.

• Options
    I know about all other buffs, it's just funny that the base mechanic of Protection Oath granting 10% DR is so often overlooked, don't you think? I think I haven't even seen it mentioned in any Prot OP guide.

Shield of Faith - 60% (Last time I checked, but could be wrong)
    Absolution - ??% (I swore it does as long as you have it)
    Sanctuary - 30% while active

FYI, Shield of Faith, just like Divine Protector, works as additional layer of protection reducing incoming damage, and it's 30%. AoT and Bane works similar.
    Aboslution gives 50% DR.
    Sanctuary gives 10/20% group, 30/80% personal DR depending on oath.

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Yeah I think it's kinda overlooked or taken for granted. For me when I'm working out minimum acceptable DR I deliberately leave out companion procs, sudden rings but include Divine Call.

Reason being that I rarely mess up my DC uptime these days but sometimes companions get 1-shot two times in a row and your bonding procs can drop off and of course sudden rings have a 20 sec downtime at r5.

They fixed the Armor Class stat on the new 50k Brigandine armor yesterday (now AC14) so I put it on and went for a 'test drive' in a CN pug. Fortunately there wasn't a DC, we had a healadin. (I didn't want AA messing up my test). It dropped my DR from 75% to 71% and raised my HP from 150k to 180k. I have to say, it went a lot better than I expected.

I entered the Orcus fight with TW, Bane, CoP with Absolution applied to everyone (others were 2x GWF & an HR) everyone was about 3k and knew what they were doing. The initial setup was the only point where I lost all temp health + absolution shield even with SoF & sudden defence active, but after that my temp health never dropped below a full bar. I'm guessing that the extra HP boosted my dps enough that my temp health generation was noticeably better.

I still need to swap out azures from my defence slots and this'll change my stats to around 198k HP and 65% DR. Divine Call and CoP will put me at 100% DR (5% more than required). I'm fine with that as often fights aren't static like Orcus and means you can't rely on CoP, so I'm thinking 65% DR + DCall + Bonding Procs puts me at 85% for areas where you run around like HE farming or pre-boss in dungeons where I'm using BL instead.

By the way, is it me or did they improve the casting of Bane a little? It seemed a bit easier after the patch...
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I am way on board with that 65% number, it seemed to be the tipping point for my pally, at 60-64% base I would occasionally have trouble so I added a little defense, I went with some kits and at 65-66% DR standing still I never have issues and I even have time to pick up a mate in the middle of the rotation/fight. I like it. I know in battle my DR ends up a little higher than needed, but I would rather be a little over and alive, than a little under and dead :)
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    As I've said on my build post, 65% seems to be this minimum golden number for DR for OP's. Since I have switched over to more of a Damage Debuff base, I've seen Orcus' numbers drop. I think with a good combination of Damage Reduction + Damage Debuff and a good pool of HP, tanking should become better than feeling like a feather against a grinder.
    Gathornia The Divine

[Combat (Self)] Orcus deals 64883 (648828) Physical Damage to you with Wand Bash.

• Options
    aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    I toyed around with DR today in the new skirmish, and would have to say 65% is a good spot to aim for as well.

With the old BO mechanic and the overpoweredness of Divine Protector a few mods ago, DR used to not be important. In fact, you wanted as little as possible to maximize your BO damage.
    Nowadays, that's obviously suicide.

I'm just trying to juggle all my stats and rearrange currently to get the best setup for power, crit, arpen, and defense. *sigh*.
  • Options
    I'm sitting at around 40% DR from Defense and AC, 10% from Oath and Divine Call gives 60%, couple more % from one R11 bonding. I leave the rest for Sheppard's Devotion insignia bonus from me and DC, Circle of Power (which I use most of the time) giving 25% pushing me above 80% and then I still use Perfect Negation for additional 30%. Now considering other DR buffs from DC I'm thinking about switching to Pure Shadowclad for Deflect rating increase and faster proc of DR when deflect doesn't happen, 8x 4% seems better than 10x 3% from Negation when already so close to 95%. I'm sitting at 11% Deflect Chance, goes higher up to 40% from 2 Sheppard's Devotion (mine and DC). Or maybe go straight for Trans Elven Battle but it's really expensive and I have Sylph for 50% control resist. I'll have to test Shadowclad before trading Negation in case it doesn't turn out well.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I've not used negation for a while. I know it's also good for recovery but I'm using a T.lightning WE so I feel everything is recharging fast enough for me. I would like to try out a T. Feytouched as I certainly like the thought of an 18% debuff on boss damage output but they are sitting around 4 million atm so it's further down the list.

I went with Fireburst as at the time BO meant I didn't have to worry about incoming damage (so why not go for increased dps) but these days a shadowclad may be a wiser choice. I do like looking like a walking ball of fire though lol.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    waywardwizard#4349 waywardwizard Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Yeah I think it's kinda overlooked or taken for granted. For me when I'm working out minimum acceptable DR I deliberately leave out companion procs, sudden rings but include Divine Call.

Reason being that I rarely mess up my DC uptime these days but sometimes companions get 1-shot two times in a row and your bonding procs can drop off and of course sudden rings have a 20 sec downtime at r5.

They fixed the Armor Class stat on the new 50k Brigandine armor yesterday (now AC14) so I put it on and went for a 'test drive' in a CN pug. Fortunately there wasn't a DC, we had a healadin. (I didn't want AA messing up my test). It dropped my DR from 75% to 71% and raised my HP from 150k to 180k. I have to say, it went a lot better than I expected.

I entered the Orcus fight with TW, Bane, CoP with Absolution applied to everyone (others were 2x GWF & an HR) everyone was about 3k and knew what they were doing. The initial setup was the only point where I lost all temp health + absolution shield even with SoF & sudden defence active, but after that my temp health never dropped below a full bar. I'm guessing that the extra HP boosted my dps enough that my temp health generation was noticeably better.

I still need to swap out azures from my defence slots and this'll change my stats to around 198k HP and 65% DR. Divine Call and CoP will put me at 100% DR (5% more than required). I'm fine with that as often fights aren't static like Orcus and means you can't rely on CoP, so I'm thinking 65% DR + DCall + Bonding Procs puts me at 85% for areas where you run around like HE farming or pre-boss in dungeons where I'm using BL instead.

By the way, is it me or did they improve the casting of Bane a little? It seemed a bit easier after the patch...

Once done with those changes your paladin will be close to what mine is
  • Options
    I have a pure shadowclad and it seems to perform well. It does give the extra 4% DR per stack (max of 8) as well. Unlike its Trans. version, it does not cause the invis, thus no loss of aggro either. My base deflect is somewhere around 10%, can grow up to 18%(gives 10% of your rating per stack, so this number will vary between players) before the stack triggers. Nice passive mechanism and i personally like the visual effect of it.
    Gathornia The Divine