test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PS4 Beta Firmware 4.50 adds PS4 Pro Boost Mode (Neverwinter Framerate improvements)

Sony released Beta Firmware 4.50 today which adds Ps4 Pro Boost Mode. All games with no pro patch can now run with a higher framerate. I allready tested Neverwinter and it runs A LOT smoother now. If you can get your hands on a Pro and like this game i think it´s a must have because everything just feels more responsive and fluid now. It´s much closer to a stable 30fps then before.

Comments

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    You need to provide info on when you tested this out?

Time of Day: for example 8am EST
    Your location: for example NJ

These two items can impact if Pro will help or not. If you are on the East Coast and tested this out early in the morning I can confirm that on a standard PS4 I get 30 fps without any issues. However, starting around 4pm EST the frame rates dip a bit.

• Options
    underdog55#4853 underdog55 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Living in Germany and it´s evening now. Server Lag is still there but Framerate is much better but u need the new Beta Firmware, in the system Settings of the Pro is a new Check Box that says "Boost Mode". There are allready some videos on youtube showing a few games with a better framerate.
  • Options

Living in Germany and it´s evening now. Server Lag is still there but Framerate is much better but u need the new Beta Firmware, in the system Settings of the Pro is a new Check Box that says "Boost Mode". There are allready some videos on youtube showing a few games with a better framerate.

My sister in law has a pro and I tried this out with her on her system. Games that should be at 60 FPS that are around 50 on the PS4 hit close to 60 all the time with this update. Games that are 30 that drop to around 25 on the PS4 also get a nice 30 almost constantly with this mode.

This update is great if you are playing PS4 games that are set to hit specific FPS and you notice stutter in them and want better flow for the game. This update along may make me buy a PS4 Pro. There is talk of removing this update from the next firm ware, because the original design also had this but was later remove due to various game actually having negative impact by this option.

If PS keeps this in the next firm ware, I'm about 50% in on a Pro; what is keeping me from going all in is the lack of a 4K HDR drive.
  • Options

My sister in law has a pro and I tried this out with her on her system. Games that should be at 60 FPS that are around 50 on the PS4 hit close to 60 all the time with this update. Games that are 30 that drop to around 25 on the PS4 also get a nice 30 almost constantly with this mode.

This update is great if you are playing PS4 games that are set to hit specific FPS and you notice stutter in them and want better flow for the game. This update along may make me buy a PS4 Pro. There is talk of removing this update from the next firm ware, because the original design also had this but was later remove due to various game actually having negative impact by this option.

If PS keeps this in the next firm ware, I'm about 50% in on a Pro; what is keeping me from going all in is the lack of a 4K HDR drive.
    That´s right. Neverwinter runs a lot smoother now in many areas and i think this update will stay. There was some Xbox News site who spread the rumour of the removal of the Boost Mode. Looked like some Fanboy HAMSTER to me because they had no source for this information. There are indeed a few games that have problems with the new mode but you can just deactivate boost mode and play it like on a standart Ps4.

Now i hope Cryptic will improve there servers over time. At the Weekends the lag is most of the time horrible for me in Germany. I played a ton of Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy 14 and World of Warcraft and none of these game had any absurd server lag like Neverwinter.

• Options

That´s right. Neverwinter runs a lot smoother now in many areas and i think this update will stay. There was some Xbox News site who spread the rumour of the removal of the Boost Mode. Looked like some Fanboy HAMSTER to me because they had no source for this information. There are indeed a few games that have problems with the new mode but you can just deactivate boost mode and play it like on a standart Ps4.

Now i hope Cryptic will improve there servers over time. At the Weekends the lag is most of the time horrible for me in Germany. I played a ton of Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy 14 and World of Warcraft and none of these game had any absurd server lag like Neverwinter.

The other games you list have regional servers to separate the game population and keep the servers running smoother and to reduce lag and latency. Neverwinter does not have this, all players on each platform play on the same server. This is where the issue lies.

Now that Microsoft and Sony have both opened the flood gates to allow cross platform play I wonder if MMOs will start to get XBox and PS players on one platform and even PC.

I know DCUO did this for PS and PC. Why not get all platforms to share. I believe FF also does this as well.

• Options

The other games you list have regional servers to separate the game population and keep the servers running smoother and to reduce lag and latency. Neverwinter does not have this, all players on each platform play on the same server. This is where the issue lies.

Now that Microsoft and Sony have both opened the flood gates to allow cross platform play I wonder if MMOs will start to get XBox and PS players on one platform and even PC.

I know DCUO did this for PS and PC. Why not get all platforms to share. I believe FF also does this as well.

Thats true for FF14, there is crossplay between PC and PS4 and i think even PS3. Has Cryptic ever said anything about expanding there Servers like bring a new big Server to the EU? The game is great but the lag can be a huge funkiller at times.
  • Options

Thats true for FF14, there is crossplay between PC and PS4 and i think even PS3. Has Cryptic ever said anything about expanding there Servers like bring a new big Server to the EU? The game is great but the lag can be a huge funkiller at times.
    The problem with expanding servers is that players would lose their character and gear, and who wants that.