test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A few newbee questions

How do I pick up the quest for the dog companion? Also, how many levels are there currently in the game? What is the best way to get rare companions and mounts?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    I've found that pretty much anything you want, even stuff from the cash shop can be earned with enough in game play, but spending real money does speed up how fast you can get what you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    iamkoto#8846 iamkoto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Hi, sorry to interfere into your created topic, but i cannot create my own topic since my account is new!

I'm a possible new player of NeverWinter, i used to play DDO back in the days and quit it before the new expansions pack due to the game beggining to become totally solo and to me that loses the whole ideia of D&D.

So i have a few questions if you guys could help me out please!

1-How big is the end game in NW? In DDO we used to have a huge end-game content and when i say end-game content i mean ALOT of USEFULL content to do wwhen u reached max level, we had like 8 raids and many, MANY quests. But after the first expansion all the end game died and it got worse a little after because they kept creating new overpowered contents that killed old contents. So how is the end-game in NW? does it last for a long time or the company just keeps making new Oover powered content every 3 months wich makes the old content almost useless every 6 months like WoW?

2-Do you need to play as a team to accomplish end game? Another thing about DDO i loved is how much u had to work as a team in general. I mean , you had over powered builds, but they were very limited and it took years to make it.. after the expansion u could make many OP builds and it took not even a month , tahts why game became Solo and now its basecly dead.

Well those are my 2 main questions for now , i'll have more later maybe. If i start playing NW i'll prob come with like 4 friends wich would be great : D

TY FOR THE ANSWERS!
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited February 2017

Hi, sorry to interfere into your created topic, but i cannot create my own topic since my account is new!

I'm a possible new player of NeverWinter,

New players seem to be not wanted by Cryptic/PWE, hence the forum restrictions and game chat prohibition.

Oh, and don't spend any money on ZEN soon, all items will be bound to account and you will be unable to sell them.
    It's written in the small print of the rules you accepted but did not read.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    If your looking for team play,, not gonna happen,, most all NW content is designed for solo play,,, there are dungeons and skirmishes and trials, all of which require a team, but other than that, all leveling content is solo, some peeps seem to need help on some of that tho, but plenty easy to find someone to help you out,,,,,
    As for endgame content,, there s plenty to keep you busy if you are a somewhat casual player,,, if your a bit more Hardcore your gonna be grinding the same stuff repeatedly and often.
    If your looking for a DDO experience your not gonna get it,, the mechanics in NW are based on 4th Ed. So a much simplified system. For example, a Control Wizard in NW gets 2 At Will powers, 4 Encounter powers and 2 Daily powers,, basicly your spells you are using,, repeatedly thru combat... of course these come from a larger list that can be swapped out beforehand, but most people stick with the best ones for their build... you don't get the long list of daily spells like in DDO, something I personally miss.. but not much can do about 4th Ed mechanics
  • Options
    > @mysteriasdrassa said:
    > If your looking for team play,, not gonna happen,, most all NW content is designed for solo play,,, there are dungeons and skirmishes and trials, all of which require a team, but other than that, all leveling content is solo, some peeps seem to need help on some of that tho, but plenty easy to find someone to help you out,,,,,
    > As for endgame content,, there s plenty to keep you busy if you are a somewhat casual player,,, if your a bit more Hardcore your gonna be grinding the same stuff repeatedly and often.
    > If your looking for a DDO experience your not gonna get it,, the mechanics in NW are based on 4th Ed. So a much simplified system. For example, a Control Wizard in NW gets 2 At Will powers, 4 Encounter powers and 2 Daily powers,, basicly your spells you are using,, repeatedly thru combat... of course these come from a larger list that can be swapped out beforehand, but most people stick with the best ones for their build... you don't get the long list of daily spells like in DDO, something I personally miss.. but not much can do about 4th Ed mechanics

sad news for me. I was hoping NW could be what old DDO (pre-expansion) was. Looks like its just the same ideia as DDO is now (actually DDO was sold to a company that is actually trying to bring back how the game was before.. but after so much wrong paths the game followed i really doubt it will be possible since many players left due to bad updates).

This game seems to have a very bad end-game content as u stated. Not to mention how boring it looks like since u'll level from 1 to 70 solo.

Ty for your answers, i wont even try NW (no im not angry at you at all , i really needed to know from other players how the game was) tyvm :D
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

If your looking for team play,, not gonna happen,, most all NW content is designed for solo play,,, there are dungeons and skirmishes and trials, all of which require a team, but other than that, all leveling content is solo, some peeps seem to need help on some of that tho, but plenty easy to find someone to help you out,,,,,

As for endgame content,, there s plenty to keep you busy if you are a somewhat casual player,,, if your a bit more Hardcore your gonna be grinding the same stuff repeatedly and often.

If your looking for a DDO experience your not gonna get it,, the mechanics in NW are based on 4th Ed. So a much simplified system. For example, a Control Wizard in NW gets 2 At Will powers, 4 Encounter powers and 2 Daily powers,, basicly your spells you are using,, repeatedly thru combat... of course these come from a larger list that can be swapped out beforehand, but most people stick with the best ones for their build... you don't get the long list of daily spells like in DDO, something I personally miss.. but not much can do about 4th Ed mechanics

Leveling content is easy enough to do with a buddy (and is way faster that way) as long as you play together consistently. You out-level zones really fast (at least lvl <60) so if one of you zooms ahead it won't work as well.

End-game content has some solo quest lines (which can be done with a friend) and then dungeons and trials which require groups.

There are also guilds and alliances, which offer a great way to engage with the community and find groups to run with. As well as pool of people who will help provide advice and shenanigans.

The _only_ reason I play this game anymore is for the community. And I spend most of my time running with guild mates. So I guess YMMV
  • Options
    ceetee#5651 ceetee Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2017

End-game content has some solo quest lines (which can be done with a friend) and then dungeons and trials which require groups.

There are also guilds and alliances, which offer a great way to engage with the community and find groups to run with. As well as pool of people who will help provide advice and shenanigans.

The _only_ reason I play this game anymore is for the community. And I spend most of my time running with guild mates. So I guess YMMV

I prefer solo play. Not always in the mood to deal with other people
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

I prefer solo play. Not always in the mood to deal with other people

Completely understandable. I think that there are solo-minded guilds out there as well, if you look around. Like:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1213474/honesty-guild-pve-guild-for-mature-independent-solo-minded-players?

Being in a guild gives you access to some additional boons that can especially help out in lower levels, and also a pool of people who can help provide advice if you have questions or party members if you decide to run some group content.

Anyway, hope you enjoy NWO, it can be a pretty fun game :)
  • Options
    stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 130 Arc User

> @mysteriasdrassa said:

> If your looking for team play,, not gonna happen,, most all NW content is designed for solo play,,, there are dungeons and skirmishes and trials, all of which require a team, but other than that, all leveling content is solo, some peeps seem to need help on some of that tho, but plenty easy to find someone to help you out,,,,,

> As for endgame content,, there s plenty to keep you busy if you are a somewhat casual player,,, if your a bit more Hardcore your gonna be grinding the same stuff repeatedly and often.

> If your looking for a DDO experience your not gonna get it,, the mechanics in NW are based on 4th Ed. So a much simplified system. For example, a Control Wizard in NW gets 2 At Will powers, 4 Encounter powers and 2 Daily powers,, basicly your spells you are using,, repeatedly thru combat... of course these come from a larger list that can be swapped out beforehand, but most people stick with the best ones for their build... you don't get the long list of daily spells like in DDO, something I personally miss.. but not much can do about 4th Ed mechanics

sad news for me. I was hoping NW could be what old DDO (pre-expansion) was. Looks like its just the same ideia as DDO is now (actually DDO was sold to a company that is actually trying to bring back how the game was before.. but after so much wrong paths the game followed i really doubt it will be possible since many players left due to bad updates).

This game seems to have a very bad end-game content as u stated. Not to mention how boring it looks like since u'll level from 1 to 70 solo.

Ty for your answers, i wont even try NW (no im not angry at you at all , i really needed to know from other players how the game was) tyvm :D

I would definitely NOT base my decision about a game based a single forum post. Try it out. It's free. Also, he never said it had "very bad" end game content. It seems your decision was made up about Neverwinter well before your post. Also, just FYI, leveling from 1 to 70 was one of the most fun things I've ever done in this game...
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,229 Arc User
    I would say there are many team play in high level. There are 5 players (dungeon/skirmish), 10 players, 25 players (Tiamat) and up to 40 players (Stronghold). People may or may not want to do that. For a lone player, it may be hard to join the big one ... and satisfy. For the Guild/Alliance members, those activities are common.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    > @stevedudeman said:
    > > @mysteriasdrassa said:
    >
    > > If your looking for team play,, not gonna happen,, most all NW content is designed for solo play,,, there are dungeons and skirmishes and trials, all of which require a team, but other than that, all leveling content is solo, some peeps seem to need help on some of that tho, but plenty easy to find someone to help you out,,,,,
    >
    > > As for endgame content,, there s plenty to keep you busy if you are a somewhat casual player,,, if your a bit more Hardcore your gonna be grinding the same stuff repeatedly and often.
    >
    > > If your looking for a DDO experience your not gonna get it,, the mechanics in NW are based on 4th Ed. So a much simplified system. For example, a Control Wizard in NW gets 2 At Will powers, 4 Encounter powers and 2 Daily powers,, basicly your spells you are using,, repeatedly thru combat... of course these come from a larger list that can be swapped out beforehand, but most people stick with the best ones for their build... you don't get the long list of daily spells like in DDO, something I personally miss.. but not much can do about 4th Ed mechanics
    >
    >
    >
    > sad news for me. I was hoping NW could be what old DDO (pre-expansion) was. Looks like its just the same ideia as DDO is now (actually DDO was sold to a company that is actually trying to bring back how the game was before.. but after so much wrong paths the game followed i really doubt it will be possible since many players left due to bad updates).
    >
    >
    >
    > This game seems to have a very bad end-game content as u stated. Not to mention how boring it looks like since u'll level from 1 to 70 solo.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ty for your answers, i wont even try NW (no im not angry at you at all , i really needed to know from other players how the game was) tyvm :D
    >
    > I would definitely NOT base my decision about a game based a single forum post. Try it out. It's free. Also, he never said it had "very bad" end game content. It seems your decision was made up about Neverwinter well before your post. Also, just FYI, leveling from 1 to 70 was one of the most fun things I've ever done in this game...

sorry if u miss understand.

What i meant is : I wante dto play a game that remembered me of DDO and DDO required full team game play 99% of the game and it was an amazing game. Unfortunally they changed the game after the first expansion and the game became way too dif from what it used to be, its actually pretty close to death.

Thats why i got sad when he said u can solo your way to level cap. Thats pretty pointless for me.

Nothing against NW, its just that i'm seeking for something that NW isnt.
  • Options
    mysteriasdrassamysteriasdrassa Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    Don't get me wrong.. I love NW very much... as much as I love DDO... both are VERY different games,, from content to mechanics... however, the type of game iamkoto is looking for just really doesn't exist any more.. yes there are some team aspects left... but not like the old days of team play.. more and more people wanted to solo play.. I think NW does a good job of balancing solo with group content,,, something DDO has not done so well... I still love and play DDO with my fiance because much of the content still requires at least 2 people to do well.. but for just running around on my own,, NW is the game for that
  • Options
    stevedudemanstevedudeman Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2017

however, the type of game iamkoto is looking for just really doesn't exist any more..

I've played 8 or 9 MMOs and I am by no means an expert, but I have yet to play one that required a group for leveling. I think you are right...
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    > @stevedudeman said:
    > however, the type of game iamkoto is looking for just really doesn't exist any more..
    >
    > I've played 8 or 9 MMOs and I am by no means an expert, but I have yet to played one that required a group for leveling. I think you are right...

Most MMORPGs tends to go the solo way for leveling.

Normally only old school MMORPGs requires team play, normaly more hardcore ones. Every MMO i did play required team play xD.

Old DDO was a very nice game with a nice and active community for questing. (afterall D&D is all about team working rigtht?) It was very nice making groups arround and pugging arround xD. We also had an giant end-game content (like i said before 8-9 raids and like 40 quests, 99% of it required team play. Not to mention most of the leveling stuff required team play with a few exceptions xD).