test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Iron Vanguard for PVE spec

I hear a lot of people in game say to go sword master for pve and only touch iron vanguard for PvP, just wanna get some insight from some of our community members as why you wouldn't take IV for pve content.

Comments

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I hear a lot of people in game say to go sword master for pve and only touch iron vanguard for PvP, just wanna get some insight from some of our community members as why you wouldn't take IV for pve content.

I don't think the difference is "that" huge to the point where an IV will get doubled by a SM by virtue of playing a IV.

However, I believe that the reason why SM is considered the best for PvE it is because Weapon Master's Strike. WMS just destroys mobs and puts a useful debuff for your Atwills (and encounters if you have Staying Power).

You would get the best answer of IV in PvE from Lancer, who is a huge IV junkie.

• Options
    burndownxmas#7201 burndownxmas Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    I just ask, because when I first started playing I was IV as it seemed more useful, but swapped when a more senior guildy told me SM had superior overall damage and buff potential. I recently specced back to IV as I wanted to dip more into PvP; and now I'm noticing in my pve scene I'm getting my hardest recorded hits overall, only downsides I'm seeing so far are:
    1. I'm losing out a bit in DR from DS (but being DPS i'm not really supposed to be getting hit often anyway)
    2. My overall set up for powers isn't as universal when it comes to at will attacks.

I half way want to post my build, because I think a lot of players are really missing out in how awesome IV can be.
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    IV deals more DPS on single target, SM deals more dmg on multi-target fights.

So SVA or boss fights in general, IV is more superior, but SM helps clearing trash mobs or most instances a lot faster.
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    What about with wicked strike being used for clearing mobs/adds, from what I've seen hitting 100k or so swings clears the field well (though this is on content less up to date, moving ice isn't out for us yet) however this power is bugged with using sprint cancel so mobility kind of goes out the window when using it.
  • Options
    nickjdowenickjdowe Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    icyphish said:

IV deals more DPS on single target, SM deals more dmg on multi-target fights.

So SVA or boss fights in general, IV is more superior, but SM helps clearing trash mobs or most instances a lot faster.

I've seen this statement before. I'm wondering what started it? Is this based on IV being able to double mark? I thought the second mark from TR only added 8% damage. That's subpar compared to one hit of WMS every 6 seconds or so. (20% buff to At Wills and a 10% DR debuff to Encounters) Maybe it's more obvious like IV has the luxury of running TR and Battle fury so he retains the buff from Mark plus BF without giving up a slot to Daring Shout? Most SM are running BF and relying on a GF to mark targets and they have WMS. I love IV and have pvp'd since forever but this seems like an urban legend. Maybe it is better in single target but from the math it doesn't look like by much if at all.
  • Options
    sulajplsulajpl Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Oh, there You go, there this topic is. Good I don't have to found a new one.
    So, the biggest difference due to IV GWF, i THINK, is that basically instead of a Weaponmaster you shall use a Trample of the fallen. When the enemy is affected by a controlled power... basically when an enemy is controlled, you deal about... 20% more damage to it. That amount is modified by a proper feat annnnnnd a proper Off-Hand artifact weapon Active increase. Is it superior good alternative to SM build? And what about that control? Do you have to enable it yourself or is it up to every control? I'd like to have my question answered, umm... basically all my post discussed. Tanks Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    nickjdowenickjdowe Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    It superior in single target in theory because you mark with TR and can run BF/HD/IBS. This means you don't have to drop IBS to run BFor DS, you can now run them both and drop DS. It's also a quicker rotation because you don't have to stop attacking to use Daring Shout, you just LT and everything gets marked again. The 20% damage buff you lose from WMS is negated by BF.
  • Options
    Plus we still have AOE at wills as I said before with WS, though I won't say it is better than WMS with how clunky the ability is. If they ever fix the sprint cancel glitch on the ability I would permanently run the ability over SS for it's DR and DMG debuffs it applies.
  • Options
    rayfelosstarotrayfelosstarot Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I'm am an Iron Vanguard PvE DPS GWF; might even be safe to say the only one on console.
    It's very true we potentially lose to Swordmaster on AoE trash mobs, but we more than surpass them on bosses, especially in fbi and msva where the bosses are huge.

From what I've specced it does indeed revolve around using Trample of the Fallen for a consistent 20% Damage Buff, instead of Wrathful determination which is a fluctuating 12.5%, creating more consistency in our dps.
    Couple that with a few other things and we're better singlet target than the Swordmasters.
    I'm currently testing Indomitable strength (because it looks and feels AWESOME!) And trying to make it more viable as a constant daily.

I may well be posting a guide soon, but I'm only 3750 ilvl so we'll see how it performs on the next couple weeks and matches up to other bis people once I get bis again.

As a side note, I'm putting 400m up in FBIs against 4k+'s right now at 3750 so I'm pretty proud of the build!

~Riot Fairguard
    Valendia Knights of the Peace Founder
    Xbox One
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User

The daily indomitable strength can hit for tens of millions, can be canceled after first hit (2nd hit still applied) and needs 1 second only. Crescendo is more time consuming and can't be canceled without losing all your AP + no damage delievered.

can be "canceled" after " first hit" " 2nd hit still applied". ANother one "smart" move in pve and pvp.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    After the advent of loadouts, I recently specc'd my GWF to Iron Vanguard.
    I'm not going to deny that Swordmaster has better AoE damage capabilities, but I'm surprised I haven't tried this earlier.

The fast fluid IV style is a blast to play and is a breath of fresh air from the stagnant "PvE High Crit Swordmaster Destroyer" experience.

• Options
    rayfelosstarotrayfelosstarot Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    > @defiantone99 said:
    >
    > I tried IV Sentinel today, and even at 4.2k Item Level, there is not even a word for how horrible and useless it is now. I do not think IV Destroyer is very viable outside of boss fights, I have already used it. But, Trans. Lightning may give it enough AoE to not be too much of a carry. I will try it out this week as well.
    >

IV isn't only sentinel dude we spec destroyer like Swordmasters. The dps is there we just lose out to Swordmasters on trash mobs. I normally catch them back up and pass them on the bosses though, especially msva and fbi where they have massive health pools.

IV Destroyer defintely does not need to be carried rofl.
  • Options
    gary5038gary5038 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 29 Arc User
    Now with loadouts, we can run SM for thrash mobs and IV for bosses. Definitely gonna give it a try.
  • Options
    kingtk3#9075 kingtk3 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Do you guys think that the IV build would be viable for non game ending toons (I'm 2847 IL) or Swormaster is plainly better for mid characters?
    gary5038 said:

Now with loadouts, we can run SM for thrash mobs and IV for bosses. Definitely gonna give it a try.

OT: Do you know when the loadouts will be avaible on ps4?
  • Options

Do you guys think that the IV build would be viable for non game ending toons (I'm 2847 IL) or Swormaster is plainly better for mid characters?

gary5038 said:

OT: Do you know when the loadouts will be avaible on ps4?
    Sorry, no idea about ps4.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    I'm going to give IV a shot for "boss killing" loadout. I have tried it in the past, primarily in PVP, and it felt too much like "running a toon" than viscerally being in a fight. Perhaps I just didn't run it enough to engage it properly.
  • Options
    xxxhansolxxxxxxhansolxxx Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Had a look at IV today, which power do you guys use to proc Trample the fallen ? Or do you simply rely on others ? All the controlling powers are rather ... Meh.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Had a look at IV today, which power do you guys use to proc Trample the fallen ? Or do you simply rely on others ? All the controlling powers are rather ... Meh.

Had a similar question. Under SM I use Destroyer and WM. So far, for IV I've chosen WM (to keep 100% crit) and Wrathful Determination. Does that work?

I'm unclear if Trample the Fallen is THE go to. Should I choose that, and does it proc off others' controlling powers, or do I need to control?
  • Options

Had a similar question. Under SM I use Destroyer and WM. So far, for IV I've chosen WM (to keep 100% crit) and Wrathful Determination. Does that work?

I'm unclear if Trample the Fallen is THE go to. Should I choose that, and does it proc off others' controlling powers, or do I need to control?
    IMO you should still use Destroyer for IV too, because of the feat Focused Destroyer. And if not mistaken, Trample the Fallen does proc from others too.
  • Options
    einsiegeinsieg Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    There's only one major reason IV fails at mob killing compared to SM, and that's the mechanical problems with Wicked Strike. On its own merits Wicked Strike is a decent AoE attack and has roughly as good radius as WMS, but it suffers from horribly laggy animations, rubberbanding when you try to sprint out of it, and general immobility. It has pretty good damage, and it has a debuff available in its artifact power, but it just isn't a practical at-will.

Now, as for the things IV has going for it specifically for bossfights.

Threatening Rush actually has two debuffs. One is the 8% mark that affects everyone. The second is a debuff unique to ThR that gives a further 12% debuff that only applies to yourself, and is specfically for your at-wills. So, for the most part ThR is just as good for you as Daring Shout. it isn't replacing Weapon Master Strike, though, because that has a 30% debuff. It's capped, so it won't matter in debuff capped parties, but for the situations where you use WMS you will rarely hit debuff cap anyway. Staying Power is the only uncapped debuff GWF has.

TtF works regardless of the control source, even if the target is control immune. This is true for all things in the game that are dependent on the target being controlled, including TR's Scoundrel feats.

Since you're probably never going to run IV while solo, you will virtually never have to use any controls yourself. Any normal party will have enough sources of control to keep TtF active, especially on boss fights. However, if you seriously want to, Slam is a good option with its own utility benefits, though you will probably take Relentless Battle Fury over Battle Awareness and not have access to the power buff. It's only a base item power buff though, so it's not all that important especially in a strong buffing party.

Indomtiable Strength has an easily cancellable animation that doesn't prevent both hits from going off, and it also debuff's the target's damage by a large amount. The daily does a lot of damage itself, and the practical DPS of it is much higher than Crescendo because its animations are much shorter and you don't have to really stop attacking for most of it.

Really, what I can say about IV compared to SM is that, IV has more powers you actually want to use. Weapon Master Strike is the only SM power that is good most of the time and practically the entire paragon is just that one at-will. All of SM's paragon class features are useless (Steel Resolve), nerfed into the ground (Steel Defense), or worse than non-paragon class features (Steel Blitz). The one other nice thing SM has is Flourish, which that lets you have a full bar of strong DPS encounters for boss fights, and this is only useful if you have another GWF or a GF that marks for you.

With IV you can use Indomitable Strength and not feel like your DPS is being gimped or you're locking yourself down for a long time where something could randomly kill you, and it also makes everyone safer by making the boss weaker. You practically always have 22% more damage with Trample the Fallen, and ThR is pretty useful for sticking on the boss. If you really feel like it, Ferocious Reaction is quite strong for what it does, though very rarely will you need it and the cooldown is pretty long.

It comes down to what you feel like doing. It's just that once you get to debuff cap, IV will eek out more damage because of TtF and Indomitable Strength. Debuff cap is being removed next mod anyway.